I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on May 21, 2020, 04:23:55 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 21, 2020, 04:23:04 PM
Isn't stones divisible by pounds?

Apparently.
Can never remember by what arbitrary number.
Most people when using stone just use stone.
1 stone = 14 pounds.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on May 21, 2020, 04:09:28 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2020, 03:23:51 PM

Personally I use metric (human) weight,

Ok, hand back your British credentials on your way out, thank you.

You are the first native I know who isn't using stones to describe human weight. I still have no idea how many kilograms that is.

Aren't stones something like 14 pounds (just checked - they are).  So they're just a weird British imperial unit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Apparently.

So you just round it up or down?  In books I've read it mentioned it always seemed to give change; i.e. "7 stone 2 pounds."

Of all the bizarre base numbers to choose, 14 has got to top them all.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2020, 04:29:09 PM
So you just round it up or down?  In books I've read it mentioned it always seemed to give change; i.e. "7 stone 2 pounds."

You don't round it up. As you say you'd be like "12 stone and a half stone". I think unless it's an infant or someone dieting, you probably wouldn't care about the individual pounds :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2020, 04:31:01 PM
You don't round it up. As you say you'd be like "12 stone and a half stone". I think unless it's an infant or someone dieting, you probably wouldn't care about the individual pounds :P

You don't round it to the nearest stone, you round it to the nearest half stone.  Important distinction.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2020, 04:01:44 PM
The traditional Swedish mile is just over 10 km. The modern Swedish mile is 10 km exactly. Distances are commonly given in (modern Swedish) miles in Sweden. :)

Lots of countries have metric pounds as well. :)

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2020, 04:54:27 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2020, 04:31:01 PM

You don't round it to the nearest stone, you round it to the nearest half stone.  Important distinction.

It works. With more normal measurements most of the time you don't say you're 78kg. 75 or 80 will do for most uses.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on May 21, 2020, 05:49:01 PM
It works. With more normal measurements most of the time you don't say you're 78kg. 75 or 80 will do for most uses.

Fair enough.

Eddie Teach

I get my weight in tenths of kilograms.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2020, 04:29:09 PM
Apparently.

It isn't as there are 4 stone to 'half a hundred weight', in turn there are 8 stone in one hundred weight, as it's actually 112 lbs.

And obviously there are twenty hundred weights to a long ton, which is 2240 lbs. See simple, just so long as I don't mention the short ton*.  :bowler:

Oh don't you Americans use something like 2,000 to one of your tons?

Though personally I do approve of your use of 7 barrels to a ton, especially appropriate as I think you Yanks popularised that with measuring crude oil.  :unsure:

* which I used to know,  but have now forgotten.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

The short ton is the American ton, 2k lbs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Austria uses metric of course, but has a minor quirk. When ordering cold cuts at the deli counter in a supermarket you will not order in grams but dekagrams instead, or deka for short, i.e. instead of 60 grams of prosciutto you'd ask for 6 deka of it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2020, 05:55:30 PM

Fair enough.

No it isn't, with kilograms you don't have to go for the ballpark option. 14 pounds per stone? FOURTEEN?! WHY?!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2020, 01:07:48 AM
No it isn't, with kilograms you don't have to go for the ballpark option. 14 pounds per stone? FOURTEEN?! WHY?!

14 per stone is different than rounding.  Maybe it's different in kilograms, but when people talk about weight in pounds (not stone) they usually talk in increments of five pounds.  "I ate so much last Christmas I got up to 190!"  Not 191 or 192.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2020, 01:07:48 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2020, 05:55:30 PM

Fair enough.

There must have been a big stone that weighed exactly 14 pounds; probably during the Heptarchy. Just count yourself lucky that it didn't weigh 15.76325 pounds  :P