I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2020, 03:23:51 PM
:lol: No-one under 50 uses yards.

Personally I use metric for beer and milk, (human) weight, long distances (miles) and very small distances (inches); metric for baking measurements and moderate distances (metres) I have no idea how any of these relate to each other or if other people are a bit more regimented :blush: :lol:

Metric for beer ?! The pint (not metric) ?! Heretic!  :lol: Don't you know in 1984, there is only the metric pint and the litre for beer?  :thumbsdown:
OTOH, you are a young Remainer.  :P

:secret:
You forgot to mention guns for our resident gun nuts.

Ireland, despite all his protests as not being Anglo-Saxon, is much more into imperial than its former colonial overlord.  :P

Admiral Yi

He meant imperial for the first batch.

Sheilbh

Yeah, sorry :blush:

First batch = imperial, second batch = metric.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I use metric for track and field.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

:lol: No-one under 50 uses yards.

Personally I use metric for beer and milk, (human) weight, long distances (miles) and very small distances (inches); metric for baking measurements and moderate distances (metres) I have no idea how any of these relate to each other or if other people are a bit more regimented :blush: :lol:

In Canada we typically use imperial for human height and weight, CFL football, lumber, baking and beer.  Milk though is in litres, long distances are kms.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

The traditional Swedish mile is just over 10 km. The modern Swedish mile is 10 km exactly. Distances are commonly given in (modern Swedish) miles in Sweden. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Personally I use metric (human) weight,

Ok, hand back your British credentials on your way out, thank you.

You are the first native I know who isn't using stones to describe human weight. I still have no idea how many kilograms that is.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on May 21, 2020, 04:09:28 PM

You are the first native I know who isn't using stones to describe human weight. I still have no idea how many kilograms that is.
:lol: Yeah sorry that was a mistake. I use stone :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Good to know that throughout all that's happened, the English are still the English.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

I completely lost track of stone when I was a teenager. Kg is the only human weight that makes sense to me.
But still. Stones beat pounds. Hate it when people use that. Or worse when people mix the two :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on May 21, 2020, 04:09:28 PM

Yeah, brit friends and stones always drove me nuts. You already have pounds! Why the need for yet another, unrelated, weight measure?  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Isn't stones divisible by pounds?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 21, 2020, 04:23:04 PM
Isn't stones divisible by pounds?

Apparently.
Can never remember by what arbitrary number.
Most people when using stone just use stone.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on May 21, 2020, 04:19:23 PM
Yeah, brit friends and stones always drove me nuts. You already have pounds! Why the need for another, unrelated and not particularly precise, weight measure?  :lol:
:lol:

It's very mixed, but weird which bits of a metric curriculum for 40 years have made an impact and which haven't. Except for babies, or fractions of a stone, I would never use pound for weights - so I have to do the math when I hear Americans talking about their weight. Like in the butchers I'll order a kilo of something or 500g not 1 or 2 pound. No idea how the division worked out as I say at school, everything was metric.
Let's bomb Russia!