49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on May 11, 2020, 12:28:11 PM
You can buy more than just tires at Canadian Tire right? :hmm:  Tell me about this legendary store you people love so much.

It's a funny store - I don't know of any other that has the same mix of merchandise.

So yes, they do sell tires.  And auto parts and accessories more generally.  Plus it has a auto garage.  Plus sporting goods.  And home goods.  And it'll have a garden centre attached to it.  So it's kind of a auto garage / hardware store / sports goods kind of mix.

They also hire a ton of foreign workers, and service is usually terrible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2020, 12:39:43 PM
They also hire a ton of foreign workers, and service is usually terrible.

Here, it's 16 year olds left & right.

Also service is terrible.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Richard E. Grant has been quoting Withnail & I daily during isolation. The sweetest thing is how he inevitably cracks up after each delivery. :lol:

https://twitter.com/RichardEGrant
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

Quote from: mongers on May 07, 2020, 10:53:12 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2020, 09:42:08 AM
I think masks are a critical mass thing.
Here you only see 1 in 30 at most with a mask. I think the key thing is people don't want to stand out and look like a nutter. If  it passes a certain point it would take off sharply.

Yes and I think that's the situation here, maybe only 1 in 100 wear a mask here.

Oh and I'd be happy to wear one whilst shopping etc, but they seem near impossible to find/buy online as grumbler and grey fox mentioned.

I didn't see a single mask on Tuesday or today (yes, I've had to leave my home twice this week...god-damn the need for bread and a postbox... :( )

I do, however, now have a mask for if I want to go on a bus - a lovely home-made one stitched up by my Aunt, the retired nurse that she posted to me for me to test.

Who had very unkind things to say about the advice in some papers about making them from old T-Shirts.

And the less said about what she said about the person she saw on TV crocheting one the better...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

merithyn

There's supposed to be a study coming out next week that compares the different materials for cloth masks. From everything I've found so far, a cotton/poly blend for the two outer layers with a cotton flannel for the inner layer is the best to use. It's what I've been making my masks out of because of that. It has the bonus of being highly breathable with also have a bit of a vapor barrier in the polyester threads.

I tried it with a coffee filter in the middle and could barely suck any air in. Since I'm really claustrophobic, I tore it off in seconds and threw it away.  :Embarrass:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Josquius

We recieved a package of masks from Switzerland today.
Half medical masks and half homemade ones made of whatever random ugly cloth an elderly relative had lying around :lol:
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on May 14, 2020, 02:22:48 PM
There's supposed to be a study coming out next week that compares the different materials for cloth masks. From everything I've found so far, a cotton/poly blend for the two outer layers with a cotton flannel for the inner layer is the best to use. It's what I've been making my masks out of because of that. It has the bonus of being highly breathable with also have a bit of a vapor barrier in the polyester threads.

I tried it with a coffee filter in the middle and could barely suck any air in. Since I'm really claustrophobic, I tore it off in seconds and threw it away.  :Embarrass:

:cool:

No masks to be had here at all.

Have been thinking about making some, but might just go with the red/black bandanna tied across the mouth/nose.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on May 14, 2020, 05:47:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 14, 2020, 02:22:48 PM

:cool:

No masks to be had here at all.

Have been thinking about making some, but might just go with the red/black bandanna tied across the mouth/nose.  :ph34r:

The rectangular ones are pretty easy to make, and you only need two layers because they're fan-folded.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Duque de Bragança

North, Greater East i.e Burgundy (both duchy and Free county) plus Champagne, Lorraine and Alsace and last not but least, Île-de-France.

Still in the red zone, map has not changed since May 11th, the end of the lockdown.

The Brain

The Prussians may have Paris surrounded, and the disgraced Imperial regime may have lost two armies. but I'm sure the Republic can prevail.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

I need Grand Est to be green by September, kthxbye

Josephus

You can buy more than just tires at Canadian Tire right? :hmm:  Tell me about this legendary store you people love so much.

To be honest, tires are the last thing I'd buy at Canadian Tire.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on May 15, 2020, 06:55:58 AM
The Prussians may have Paris surrounded, and the disgraced Imperial regime may have lost two armies. but I'm sure the Republic can prevail.

Amiens, Macron's city, has been lost by the Armée du Nord, again.  :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: Josephus on May 15, 2020, 07:08:22 AM

Makes sense to leave the bulkiest items for last.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 15, 2020, 07:08:22 AM

:yes:

currently a good place to get masks though