49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on May 04, 2020, 02:29:29 PM
It's my father's birthday in two weeks and I wonder if I should drive through most of Germany to celebrate a bit with him. As I've been in social distancing for like six or seven weeks now, I am certain that I don't have the virus, so there is no real risk. It still feels wrong somehow.

Because it is.

Do you stand to inherit a lot?  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Experiencing quite a few obvious signs of stress these days. I'm guessing the state of constant alert at work is taking its mental toll. It's been ten days since we restarted production and there's hundreds of people around.

On a brighter note there's talk of the company's health insurer administering tests to the workforce, which would rock. I'd be especially interested if they included an antibody test.

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on May 04, 2020, 06:44:05 PM
Experiencing quite a few obvious signs of stress these days. I'm guessing the state of constant alert at work is taking its mental toll. It's been ten days since we restarted production and there's hundreds of people around.

On a brighter note there's talk of the company's health insurer administering tests to the workforce, which would rock. I'd be especially interested if they included an antibody test.

:(

Yes, I think that's going to be a problem for a lot of people in workplaces that they might have previously thought safe or even given a thought to the numbers around them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

I'd love to have an antibody test. Just to know.  And I'd love for all the people who swear they had Covid back in October to get the test so they'd shut the hell up about it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Our CMO said that the antibody tests aren't very accurate, and we have no idea if the antibodies will still be in the body after three months anyway.

I'm guessing better tests will be coming soon, but no point in bothering with them right now.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

fromtia

Welp, I guess it's back to work on Friday. I received a call from my employer which I will respond to shortly. They are essentially "inviting" a portion of the team to come back to work to open for limited hours at 25% seating capacity. It's not clear yet whether just a few of us will be working 40 hours, or whether all of us will be working ten hours and so forth. I'll find out in due course.

Quite a few concerns obviously, I'm 50, I supplement for a pretty good quality vitamin D deficiency, which is apparently a risk factor with Covid19, and I'm going to be in a confined space with lots of people. On the flipside, Floridas outbreak has been smaller and mostly in Miami-Dade, not where I am. Fingers crossed I suppose. I jump into the petri dish of freedom!
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

derspiess

Good luck, fromtia.  Hope people tip generously :thumbsup:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Quote from: mongers on May 04, 2020, 04:55:36 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 04, 2020, 02:29:29 PM
It's my father's birthday in two weeks and I wonder if I should drive through most of Germany to celebrate a bit with him. As I've been in social distancing for like six or seven weeks now, I am certain that I don't have the virus, so there is no real risk. It still feels wrong somehow.

Because it is.

Do you stand to inherit a lot?  :P
It is allowed again in Germany and I don't really see a risk. Let's see, I still have a few days to think about it. I would have to drive anyway as I don't want to sit in a train for six hours or so and flights are scarce and expensive.

celedhring

So, my mother's employer is testing their employees for Covid antibodies and she's got the appointment tomorrow - the testing center is in my town so I'd get to see her for the first time in two months.

Can't say I'm not looking forward to it.

KRonn

Quote from: fromtia on May 06, 2020, 10:53:08 AM
Welp, I guess it's back to work on Friday. I received a call from my employer which I will respond to shortly. They are essentially "inviting" a portion of the team to come back to work to open for limited hours at 25% seating capacity. It's not clear yet whether just a few of us will be working 40 hours, or whether all of us will be working ten hours and so forth. I'll find out in due course.

Quite a few concerns obviously, I'm 50, I supplement for a pretty good quality vitamin D deficiency, which is apparently a risk factor with Covid19, and I'm going to be in a confined space with lots of people. On the flipside, Floridas outbreak has been smaller and mostly in Miami-Dade, not where I am. Fingers crossed I suppose. I jump into the petri dish of freedom!
Fromtia, good to get back to work. I hope it works out well for you. Is your employer doing any testing or other precautions? I've seen some companies taking certain measures, distancing, testing, etc.

I'm still working from home which I like. I went in last week to get updates on my work computer, as apparently I need the company network for that. There were three people in my office area. One prefers to work there, and another one will start working from home.

I'll be curious to know if I had Covid, as I had a mild cold or flu in mid January. I work for a health care company and I'm wondering or assuming they'll do some testing on employees when the offices fully open. Then also, monthly I go to my doctor office lab for testing levels for the blood thinners I'm on, and I figure they'll have Covid testing at some point.

merithyn

Quote from: celedhring on May 06, 2020, 01:13:09 PM
So, my mother's employer is testing their employees for Covid antibodies and she's got the appointment tomorrow - the testing center is in my town so I'd get to see her for the first time in two months.

:wub:

Hug her tightly. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

Quote from: merithyn on May 06, 2020, 10:12:33 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 06, 2020, 01:13:09 PM

:wub:

Hug her tightly. :)

Not yet, we still have to keep social distancing.  :P

Iormlund

After seeing how people have taken to the streets I've changed my mind, the safest place (other than home) is at work. At least there everyone wears a mask, proper distances are marked on the floors and I have gloves, mask and faceshield.

I fully expect another lockdown within a month. :bash:

Caliga

I'm *trying* to give maskless people here the benefit of the doubt and assume at least some of them simply don't have access to a mask.  It's hard to believe that after two months people can't figure out how to get their hands on one.... but then again it's also hard for me to believe that there are still people who are hardcore supporters of Trump, so I guess I would suggest that if you are clueless enough to think he is doing a TREMENDOUS JOB, then you probably also lack the wherewithal to figure out how to procure even the most basic of face coverings.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

People in my area wear masks I'd say 50/50, but very few of my friends are or are planning to (and weirdly my NHS friends are very dismissive of its benefits :mellow:)

But there's also a weird poll that basically has the UK as a bit of an outlier in that it is concerned about covid-19 but very unlikely to wear masks :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!