I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

merithyn

Quote from: Threviel on April 17, 2020, 04:14:20 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 17, 2020, 03:28:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2020, 08:58:48 PM
Could be.

@Meri,  right now just going the sourdough starter route using my mother-in-law's old recipe.  Was thinking of trying raisins and honey after the sourdough is well established.

Didn't think of apples-will look that up.

What's your sour dough recipe? :) Mine was 1 cup flour, 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon yeast, 1 teaspoon honey.

It's working so far.

Won't that just make a yeast dough that you can bake with?

I do my sour doughs with flour and water, mix 50ish 50ish, put in a cupboard above the fridge and feed it with water and flour, keeping the consistency, once in a while. After a few days it starts to bubble. I sometimes grate an apple into it from the beginning.

Then I forget to feed it in the fridge :Embarrass:

It's a way to carry the yeast forward for ... well, forever, if you don't forget to feed it. :D

The apple you grate into it will provide the yeast, since they carry so much on their skins.

The sour part is what makes it not just making a dough. When I make bread, yeah, I just use flour, water, yeast, salt, etc, and then make the bread. When I add a cup of sour dough in place of some of the water (or milk), it gives it a different texture and flavor.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Threviel

Well, yes, I mostly bake my bread with sour dough. It just hadn't occured to me that there's also yeast in the sour dough.

Nowadays, for simplicity, I buy my sour dough at a bakery and then I keep it in the fridge for a few months until I forget to feed it.

I fed my kids mostly this https://myvintagecooking.com/finnish-rye-sourdough/ for their first few years, wonderful bread.

merithyn

My CEO basically just told us that we will be working from home well into the year. My manager interprets that to mean possibly into 2021.

:cry:

Anyone want a Meri on their couch for a week or two? Then we'll both have a coworker for a bit. I offered to go spend a week with Seedy, and he ... was less than generous in his response. :lol:

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on April 17, 2020, 05:25:17 PM
My CEO basically just told us that we will be working from home well into the year. My manager interprets that to mean possibly into 2021.

:cry:

Anyone want a Meri on their couch for a week or two? Then we'll both have a coworker for a bit. I offered to go spend a week with Seedy, and he ... was less than generous in his response. :lol:

He was just being polite.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Do you want 2 co workers & kids? 😉
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Zoupa

It's quaint seeing you extroverts losing your mind 2 weeks in while introverts have to go through 85 years of this shit.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on April 17, 2020, 11:21:18 PM
It's quaint seeing you extroverts losing your mind 2 weeks in while introverts have to go through 85 years of this shit.

My life hasn't changed much at all, the only real difference is that wear a mask when I go to the store.  Well, two masks.  I know wear a medical mask under the my normal gorilla mask.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2020, 01:08:26 AM

My life hasn't changed much at all, the only real difference is that wear a mask when I go to the store.  Well, two masks.  I know wear a medical mask under the my normal gorilla mask.

:lol:

Josquius

I'm very definitely an introvert.
It still sucks.
One can be alone and visit more than one room in a day.
Being trapped in my flat actually means less alone time.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Again, Zoupa, I'm at nearly seven weeks in.

And fuck I'm sick of the smug bullshit from those of you doing just fine. I've nearly died on the operating table twice and have been through more physical bullshit than most of you besides Ed could imagine, but one of you turns an ankle and you don't hear me going on about how easy you have it. Because it's not about me.

I'm hurting. I'm glad that amuses you, but fuck you.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on April 18, 2020, 11:42:42 AM
How's Seedy doing?

Not a lot has changed for him. He's essential at the hospital, so he's still going in 3-4 days a week and working from home the rest. He's an introvert, so has never been much on going out and doing stuff, so that's not a lot different. I think he misses the niceties like the rest of us, but in general, his world hasn't changed much. So he's fine.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2020, 03:37:01 PM
Making our own yeast.  Been meaning to do it for years.

What's with all the yeast makers?

I'm bored. Unemployed. Still making yeast is #287on my to do list. Right after watch the movie Roma and before "take down the Christmas lights."
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

I hope "put up the Christmas lights" was also low on the list.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?