Total Members Voted: 82

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 13, 2020, 07:01:00 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2020, 06:45:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2020, 06:34:34 PM
when I explain what I'm doing I'll not be eligible anyway.

:hmm:

Drug dealer.

That's an interesting suggestion; I'd think they'd be making a killing during the lock-downs, what with all those well off people on 'gardening leave' twiddling their thumbs.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: merithyn on April 13, 2020, 05:02:48 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2020, 10:18:01 AM
Currently I have no income, interesting times ahead.  :bowler:

:hug:

Do you qualify for any of the state options while this is ongoing?

Nope, I think I fall between the cracks, but that won't kill me; just need to make sure this virus isn't going to kill any of the family before I eventually get it.  :bowler:

For a laugh I tried to sign-up for the government UC benefit, I think come interview time, when I explain what I'm doing I'll not be eligible anyway.

But then I've always got free healthcare to 'fall back on', live in a rural area, I'm not in a vulnerable minority and most of my countrymen seem reasonable and none are buying guns in preparation for social collapse.  :bowler:

So I think somehow we'll muddle through, but afterwards I'll notice some of the older people I used to chat to or who were nodding acquaintances aren't out and about anymore.

You're not eligible for something like our equivalent of unemployment benefits, or some state welfare program?

Good luck Mongers, hope things go ok for you and you can weather through all this.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on April 13, 2020, 08:34:24 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 13, 2020, 05:02:48 PM

:hug:

Do you qualify for any of the state options while this is ongoing?

Nope, I think I fall between the cracks, but that won't kill me; just need to make sure this virus isn't going to kill any of the family before I eventually get it.  :bowler:

For a laugh I tried to sign-up for the government UC benefit, I think come interview time, when I explain what I'm doing I'll not be eligible anyway.

But then I've always got free healthcare to 'fall back on', live in a rural area, I'm not in a vulnerable minority and most of my countrymen seem reasonable and none are buying guns in preparation for social collapse.  :bowler:

So I think somehow we'll muddle through, but afterwards I'll notice some of the older people I used to chat to or who were nodding acquaintances aren't out and about anymore.

You're not eligible for something like our equivalent of unemployment benefits, or some state welfare program?

Good luck Mongers, hope things go ok for you and you can weather through all this.

Cheers KRonn, I'll do fine.

It's just a weird time to be navigating through, uncharted waters perhaps for many of us.

Lets hope the ship of state doesn't flounder.  :bowler:

KRonn

Good to hear Mongers, that you feel ok and expect to do well. :)

I'm lucky, retired and getting social security, and working part time at the health care company I retired from. I work in user access support for the hospitals and clinics. Lots of furloughs and layoffs there even with about thirty-six hospitals   because many non-essential procedures are put on hold. I'm working from home which is pretty nice, preferable, though my commute to the office is a short one.

As I said, I'm lucky but I fear for those who have lost jobs, especially jobs that may not come back. And also for small businesses that won't make it through, even with the new government loans and assistance set up to help. :(

Josephus

:(

Been unemployed for a week now. Today for the first time, I woke up after 7 a.m.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2020, 07:02:32 AM

Been unemployed for a week now. Today for the first time, I woke up after 7 a.m.

Jos, I think I'll join you, that's assuming I pass the 'interview'.   :)

mongers

Syt

Our company is starting to ask around if everyone is fully utilized on system critical tasks and is querying people for their remaining vacation days and to look into if they could take a few days off here or there, till end of May. They seem very shy about it; it seems they don't want to make anyone take time off (which they couldn't, technically, by law, but you know ...).

I talked to my team lead about it. I have a balance of 5.5 weeks vacation time (last vacation day I used was July last year, and overtime over Christmas), and I get another 5 weeks on July 1st.

Our project is going through a mandatory lull now, so I suggested I could offer myself as tribute if they look for volunteers. I have way too much vaycay time at the moment, and I'm not much of a traveler or one for going out much. I would still be available for calls etc. where necessary, but I wouldn't mind spending more quarantine time not working from home - I like to keep private and job spheres separate. :P

I'm surprised management has waited for this long (we're on week 5 now). I know from friends that other companies "strongly suggested" people should take vacation time during what is, for many companies, a slow period.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on April 15, 2020, 09:40:41 AM
Our company is starting to ask around if everyone is fully utilized on system critical tasks and is querying people for their remaining vacation days and to look into if they could take a few days off here or there, till end of May. They seem very shy about it; it seems they don't want to make anyone take time off (which they couldn't, technically, by law, but you know ...).

I talked to my team lead about it. I have a balance of 5.5 weeks vacation time (last vacation day I used was July last year, and overtime over Christmas), and I get another 5 weeks on July 1st.

Our project is going through a mandatory lull now, so I suggested I could offer myself as tribute if they look for volunteers. I have way too much vaycay time at the moment, and I'm not much of a traveler or one for going out much. I would still be available for calls etc. where necessary, but I wouldn't mind spending more quarantine time not working from home - I like to keep private and job spheres separate. :P

I'm surprised management has waited for this long (we're on week 5 now). I know from friends that other companies "strongly suggested" people should take vacation time during what is, for many companies, a slow period.

Interesting tactics on their part and good on you for 'taking one for the team'.

Syt, I imagine quiet a few people are like you in that respect and are finding the working lockdown an odd blend of tasks.

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on April 15, 2020, 09:33:05 AM
Anyone found any yeast yet? :unsure:

My brother in law works in the Loblaw (grocery chain) non-fresh ware warehouse & he's seen yeast!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2020, 09:58:31 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 15, 2020, 09:33:05 AM
Anyone found any yeast yet? :unsure:

My brother in law works in the Loblaw (grocery chain) non-fresh ware warehouse & he's seen yeast!

:gasp:

HVC

I think after reading it so many time yeast is my moist
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on April 15, 2020, 11:08:18 AM
I think after reading it so many time yeast is my moist

Stay moist long enough, and you can grow your own yeast. 😉
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius