49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

PDH

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2020, 09:16:11 PM
I know, but we have a full bar here to work with. In any case, the wife is stoked and doesn't know where she wants to order from first :huh:

TGI McDrunkies would be my go to order.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Quote from: KRonn on April 07, 2020, 07:36:11 PM
A lot of people out walking in my neighborhood, more so than usual. People very friendly even if they don't know each other. We all keep our distance of course. Seems like a camaraderie to some extent, we're all in this together.  I do know all my neighbors anyway, and when we talk we've asked if we can do anything for each other, food or supplies.

That's how things are on my street and I've never felt closer to my neighbors, oddly enough. But for the rest of my part of town-- holy hell, they are on edge. I've seen way more road rage on our main throughfare in the last three weeks than I've seen in the previous year, with much less traffic. And things are tense when you venture into Kroger.

If nothing else, this will have been an interesting social experiment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on April 07, 2020, 01:06:33 PM
I agreed with my mom to shop this afternoon at the same time in the same supermarket, so it was nice to have some face to face communication, even if at a distance.  :)

That's really sweet of you, Larchie. :hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Today I:

* ran two miles
* had an asthma attack
* went grocery shopping
* mailed two packages
* caught my oven on fire
* opened a bottle of wine
* made dinner
* cleaned my oven
* finished bottle of wine
* showered (and fell in the shower)

Guys, I'm not coping well. All of this, and I still felt manic, like there were a million more things that I should be doing, when what I really want is human interaction.

Am I'm going insane? No. I'm doing my work regularly. I'm sleeping regular hours. I'm not flipping out at random insanity at the grocery store. But still.... So much I'm doing and still feeling like I'm getting nowhere. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Threviel

A salesman at our company was in Stockholm two weeks ago, now he's gotten it.

So starting today I will try to work from home. During the last weeks I have been preparing my garage, cleaning it out and putting in a desk, bought an extra screen and so on. The kids have a cold, so I take care of them now and when my wife comes home I'll go to the garage.

celedhring

Quote from: merithyn on April 08, 2020, 01:24:43 AM
Today I:

* ran two miles
* had an asthma attack
* went grocery shopping
* mailed two packages
* caught my oven on fire
* opened a bottle of wine
* made dinner
* cleaned my oven
* finished bottle of wine
* showered (and fell in the shower)

Guys, I'm not coping well. All of this, and I still felt manic, like there were a million more things that I should be doing, when what I really want is human interaction.

Am I'm going insane? No. I'm doing my work regularly. I'm sleeping regular hours. I'm not flipping out at random insanity at the grocery store. But still.... So much I'm doing and still feeling like I'm getting nowhere. :(

Do you really need to go *somewhere* though?

I had issues too because it's rare that I find myself in a situation I have completely no agency in. But feeling that I had to compensate for that only stressed me more.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2020, 06:06:00 PM
I should certainly look into the SDFs, just need to get rid of other stuff on the list.

These are 2 of the most popular manufacturers:

https://www.sdrplay.com/products/
https://airspy.com/
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 08, 2020, 01:53:21 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2020, 06:06:00 PM
I should certainly look into the SDRs, just need to get rid of other stuff on the list.

These are 2 of the most popular manufacturers:

https://www.sdrplay.com/products/
https://airspy.com/

Thanks MM, will get online and look.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

So, hopefully, by the 26th of April some restrictions will be lifted in Spain, according to the government. Only 18 days to go!  :)

Zanza

The company I work for will start ramping up production in its German plants starting on the 20th April.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2020, 09:21:14 PM
That's how things are on my street and I've never felt closer to my neighbors, oddly enough. But for the rest of my part of town-- holy hell, they are on edge. I've seen way more road rage on our main throughfare in the last three weeks than I've seen in the previous year, with much less traffic. And things are tense when you venture into Kroger.
I've observed a lot of odd behavior at my Kroger since this thing started.

* One time an old lady was sitting on a patio chair for sale, just staring into space like a statue.  She was like that when I went into the store, and also when I left like 45 minutes later.

* I saw two teenage kids walking around chugging soda, pointing to things in freezer cases but not actually opening them or buying anything.  I saw them like four times over the space of a half hour on that visit, always doing the same thing.

* Another time I saw what I presumed to be an elderly mother and her middle aged son screaming at each other in the middle of an aisle, because he wanted more pizza and she said there was no more room in the freezer.  This argument went on for like five minutes and it was strictly about that very basic topic.

* On that same visit, there was a couple that I guess have their own clever tactic for maintaining social distancing--they stunk so bad I couldn't stand to go anywhere near them, and each time I saw them in an aisle after the first encounter I instantly veered away and waited till well after they had left to go back.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2020, 08:36:24 AM
* On that same visit, there was a couple that I guess have their own clever tactic for maintaining social distancing--they stunk so bad I couldn't stand to go anywhere near them, and each time I saw them in an aisle after the first encounter I instantly veered away and waited till well after they had left to go back.

Here the patchouli people have had that defense for a long time.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

How did they know about COVID so far in advance? What else are they hiding?!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

Quote from: Tamas on April 06, 2020, 03:18:19 PM
Get a grip people, except for Sheilbh it's been two weeks at most. For crying out loud.

Yeah. I'd happily trade my position with any of you whiners  <_<