I'm working remotely from home
49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

The Minsky Moment

Wiki has a good summary of the state of the state broadcasters, it's pretty brutal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shortwave_radio_broadcasters

Losing Radio Netherlands was the biggest blow; they were probably the best in terms of programming and not hard to get to North America.
Canada, Australia, Russia all also gone. 
The big players like DW and RFI still broadcast on SW but far less than they used to.
Romania is still hanging in there though.  They've always been a power in the SW world.  Got to be good at something.

In North America Cuba is still very active on SW and some of the programming is quite good.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 07, 2020, 10:27:45 AM
Wiki has a good summary of the state of the state broadcasters, it's pretty brutal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shortwave_radio_broadcasters

Losing Radio Netherlands was the biggest blow; they were probably the best in terms of programming and not hard to get to North America.
Canada, Australia, Russia all also gone. 
The big players like DW and RFI still broadcast on SW but far less than they used to.
Romania is still hanging in there though.  They've always been a power in the SW world.  Got to be good at something.

In North America Cuba is still very active on SW and some of the programming is quite good.

Thanks, so for a time at least this non-internet form of contact with the outside world is a quite tangible 'connection'.

No doubt a bit of a contrast with your family's and many others previous engagement with the world.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 07, 2020, 10:18:13 AM
I took out the old Sony ICF-2010, a mid-80s design that arguably was never matched in a portable.  Picked up Radio Exterior (Spain) from Noblejas  with great reception (they played a Bowie song for some reason)  and a broadcast from the big Saudi transmitter out of Riyadh. 

Unfortunately most of the big state broadcasters are either gone or a lot less active.  Most of the SW signals are dominated by evangelical programs.

Not quite what it used to be then-- dang.  My grandpa was a big radio enthusiast.  He would tune into various SW stations and tell us where the stations were located based on the listings he had.  He didn't speak any foreign languages, but developed a thing for Spanish-language female vocal songs.  When he wanted to scare me he'd tune to the Russian Woodpecker (which we discussed here before) or even worse-- some Russian-language broadcast.  The Russians always sounded so mean & aggressive :o
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

I agreed with my mom to shop this afternoon at the same time in the same supermarket, so it was nice to have some face to face communication, even if at a distance.  :)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2020, 01:02:35 PM
Not quite what it used to be then-- dang. 

The last Sony model was the 7600, not quite the radio as the ICF-2010 but a lot more compact. When Sony announced they were halting production a couple years ago and exiting SW entirely I ran over to B&H to grab one.  End of an era.

There are still Chinese manufacturers making decent radios.  Tecsun, Eton and CCrane most notably.

The big thing now in the hobby are software defined radios that connect to a PC.  Usually with a much broader available spectrum, monitoring and recording options etc.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

My handheld is a cheap off-brand I got from Woot.  But it picked up enough stations to keep me busy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Gov. DeWine is signing an order to allow restaurants to do mixed drinks (and I guess wine and beer as well) to go or for delivery.  Limit 2 per meal.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2020, 02:57:24 PM
Gov. DeWine is signing an order to allow restaurants to do mixed drinks (and I guess wine and beer as well) to go or for delivery.  Limit 2 per meal.
:hmm: I'm sure his last name is completely coincidental. :yeahright:

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 07, 2020, 01:30:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2020, 01:02:35 PM
Not quite what it used to be then-- dang. 

The last Sony model was the 7600, not quite the radio as the ICF-2010 but a lot more compact. When Sony announced they were halting production a couple years ago and exiting SW entirely I ran over to B&H to grab one.  End of an era.

There are still Chinese manufacturers making decent radios.  Tecsun, Eton and CCrane most notably.

The big thing now in the hobby are software defined radios that connect to a PC.  Usually with a much broader available spectrum, monitoring and recording options etc.

That sony radio of yours looks like the bees knees.

I should certainly look into the SDFs, just need to get rid of other stuff on the list.

Admiral Yi

:lol: O-hio!

KRonn

A lot of people out walking in my neighborhood, more so than usual. People very friendly even if they don't know each other. We all keep our distance of course. Seems like a camaraderie to some extent, we're all in this together.  I do know all my neighbors anyway, and when we talk we've asked if we can do anything for each other, food or supplies.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on April 07, 2020, 07:36:11 PM
A lot of people out walking in my neighborhood, more so than usual. People very friendly even if they don't know each other. We all keep our distance of course. Seems like a camaraderie to some extent, we're all in this together.  I do know all my neighbors anyway, and when we talk we've asked if we can do anything for each other, food or supplies.

KRonn, I was just about to post something along the lines of the camaraderie you describe.

Here in this modest small market town of 10,000 people I come and go, unnoticed and largely anonymous, but because there's much less traffic about and nearly everyone is abiding by the social distancing rules, I've noticed a need for people to acknowledge each other, especially as they exchange courtesies over establishing the 6 ft distance from each other.

So people are saying hello to me as I cycle or walk by, I find myself exchange thumbs ups with other walkers, fishermen, car drives as we give each other due distance on the little roads hereabouts.

This evening on a short trip into town, to see the shop opening times for the next few days and be able to plan tomorrow hunter-gathering expedition, I came across a guy walking his dog on the other side of the road and we exchanged a few words about "the strange world we're now living in."

Strange times.

PDH

Pfft, Newsom passed that in the early days of the Shelter in Place here.  What good is delivery without a couple of stiff cocktails?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2020, 07:56:55 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 07, 2020, 07:36:11 PM

KRonn, I was just about to post something along the lines of the camaraderie you describe.

Here in this modest small market town of 10,000 people I come and go, unnoticed and largely anonymous, but because there's much less traffic about and nearly everyone is abiding by the social distancing rules, I've noticed a need for people to acknowledge each other, especially as they exchange courtesies over establishing the 6 ft distance from each other.

So people are saying hello to me as I cycle or walk by, I find myself exchange thumbs ups with other walkers, fishermen, car drives as we give each other due distance on the little roads hereabouts.

This evening on a short trip into town, to see the shop opening times for the next few days and be able to plan tomorrow hunter-gathering expedition, I came across a guy walking his dog on the other side of the road and we exchanged a few words about "the strange world we're now living in."

Strange times.

Very nice, isn't it? It's an attitude of working together, looking out for each other. Innovative things as today I saw a bunch of cars at my neighbor's  house. Parents with kids with happy birthday signs going off to another kid's house to wish happy birthday. Everyone keeping their distance while getting together. Finding ways for the kids to socialize a bit while doing it safely.

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on April 07, 2020, 08:58:38 PM

Pfft, Newsom passed that in the early days of the Shelter in Place here.  What good is delivery without a couple of stiff cocktails?

I know, but we have a full bar here to work with. In any case, the wife is stoked and doesn't know where she wants to order from first :huh: