I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2020, 03:10:01 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 06, 2020, 12:04:45 PM
I gave my youngest a "radio" - a once popular but now obscure device designed to receive broadcasted "radio" signals over the air.

Kept him occupied for the last couple days.

Funniest part was explaining why there is so much hissing noise.  He assumed it was broken.

As a kid I tried finding channels from farther away on the lower bands. With the right weather I might occasionally pick up Dutch or Danish stations, with much static. :D

It was easier to get AFN from Bremerhaven, and (at least in the 80s) BFBS.

Do you have the equivalent to Clear Channel stations in Europe?  (In North America a radio station has a boundary which it is legally protected from being interfered in.  Due to atmospheric conditions AM frequencies will bounce off the ionosphere at night, clear channel stations are protected in this skip zone.  Non-clear channel stations will usually reduce power or switch to patternality at night in order to reduce the odds of interference.) 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2020, 03:13:24 PM
Mid-90s, dating a girl who lived on Winnipeg's north side - I lived on the south side, so it was a long-ish drive back and forth.

Late at night, after dropping her off at her parents place, I'd love to surf the AM channels to see what I could pick up.  I could reliably pick up a Chicago all-news station

WGN?  (World's Greatest Newspaper, it is (or at least was) owned by the Chicago Tribune.)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on April 06, 2020, 03:50:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2020, 03:13:24 PM
Mid-90s, dating a girl who lived on Winnipeg's north side - I lived on the south side, so it was a long-ish drive back and forth.

Late at night, after dropping her off at her parents place, I'd love to surf the AM channels to see what I could pick up.  I could reliably pick up a Chicago all-news station

WGN?  (World's Greatest Newspaper, it is (or at least was) owned by the Chicago Tribune.)

WBBM
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on April 06, 2020, 03:33:23 PM
All of you people talking about how hard it is to isolate and remain safe.

I am in charge of 4 people dealing with the mail who have to show up, sort mail (admittedly that has been waiting 24 hours), have multiple people come to the warehouse to pick it up each day, and basically run increased risk in all facets of what we do.  So I come in each day, I can't not and let the guys do it, knowing that I am increasing the likelihood that I will get this with a compromised system from too many bouts of bronchitis in the past.

Shut the hell up.

We can be sorry for ourselves, and still not wish you to do what you're doing. They're not incompatible.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Oexmelin

Quote from: Tamas on April 06, 2020, 03:18:19 PM
Get a grip people, except for Sheilbh it's been two weeks at most. For crying out loud.

Do you live alone?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Grey Fox

Start of week 4 here. I'd like a moment alone.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2020, 04:45:36 PM
Start of week 4 here. I'd like a moment alone.

:lol:

There must be a lot of family members up and down the land thinking that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: Tamas on April 06, 2020, 03:18:19 PM
Get a grip people, except for Sheilbh it's been two weeks at most. For crying out loud.

For me this has been going on since late January.  Of course the lockdown isn't as bad in Hong Kong.  I still go to restaurants daily.  But lots of things have changed since January, and there are warnings that more restrictions may be imposed if things don't improve.

derspiess

Speaking of car away radio stations, I still get a kick out of hearing French Canadian broadcasts on the car radio during the odd night. Canada is not that far away, but it feels so other-worldly. I've also been able to tune into a station as far south as Baton Rouge.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on April 06, 2020, 09:31:18 PM
Speaking of car away radio stations, I still get a kick out of hearing French Canadian broadcasts on the car radio during the odd night. Canada is not that far away, but it feels so other-worldly. I've also been able to tune into a station as far south as Baton Rouge.

I always did get a kick out of listening to the American radio channels or TVs back in the analog days.

Altho, not surprising most of them had antennas on Mount Royal.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

BBC had an article about masks in Austria: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52143873

Article caught my attention because of the images. This is the little corner Spar near me:

Entrance to artisanal cheese shop right next to it:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Now I have the urge to dig out my short wave radio from wherever I stored it.  I told the kids after dinner we'd sit out on the deck under the supermoon and see what foreign radio signals we can pick up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

I took out the old Sony ICF-2010, a mid-80s design that arguably was never matched in a portable.  Picked up Radio Exterior (Spain) from Noblejas  with great reception (they played a Bowie song for some reason)  and a broadcast from the big Saudi transmitter out of Riyadh. 

Unfortunately most of the big state broadcasters are either gone or a lot less active.  Most of the SW signals are dominated by evangelical programs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

I remember getting Nuntii Latini (news in Latin) on SW in the 'early  90s before switching to internet radio.
Nuntii Latin was taken off the air some time ago due to cuts in Finnish broadcasting. :(