I'm working remotely from home
49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

grumbler

Hatin' Ass Spurrier has takes on the Coronavirus epidemic. https://www.bannersociety.com/2020/4/1/21199648/hatin-ass-spurrier-coronavirus-thoughts
None of it will make sense to non-Americans, I suspect.

Some money quotes:
QuoteYou wanna stop COVID-19, tell Pat Fitzgerald it's a union.

You wanna stop COVID-19, tell Pat Narduzzi it's his offense on the one-yard line.

You wanna stop COVID-19, tell the University of Alabama Board of Trustees it's UAB football.

You wanna stop COVID-19, put it on Miami's depth chart as a QB.

You wanna stop COVID-19, name it the Pac-12's playoff contender.

You wanna stop COVID-19 for a couple weeks, tell Urban Meyer it got charged with a felony.

You wanna make COVID-19 disappear completely, call it Nebraska football.

You wanna limit exposure to COVID-19, put it on the Longhorn Network.

More where those came from.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

Syt

Entering Week 4 of working from home. Have 3 scheduled 1 hour calls today, plus at least one ad hoc one.  :zzz
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

European counter-attack!

You wanna stop COVID-19, tell Neymar to pass it the ball.

You wanna stop COVID-19, make it Sunderland manager.

You wanna stop COVID-19, tell Guardiola it's a centreback.

You wanna stop COVID-19, put it on Real Madrid's depth chart as striker.

You wanna stop COVID-19, put it on the Juventus starting XI in a CL final.

You wanna stop COVID-19 for six months, give it Ousmane Dembelé's fitness trainer.

You wanna make COVID-19 disappear completely, call it Arsenal title hopes.

You wanna limit exposure to COVID-19, have it play in the Europa League.

Maladict

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 06, 2020, 02:51:18 AM
European counter-attack!

You wanna stop COVID-19, tell Neymar to pass it the ball.

You wanna stop COVID-19, make it Sunderland manager.

You wanna stop COVID-19, tell Guardiola it's a centreback.

You wanna stop COVID-19, put it on Real Madrid's depth chart as striker.

You wanna stop COVID-19, put it on the Juventus starting XI in a CL final.

You wanna stop COVID-19 for six months, give it Ousmane Dembelé's fitness trainer.

You wanna make COVID-19 disappear completely, call it Arsenal title hopes.

You wanna limit exposure to COVID-19, have it play in the Europa League.

:showoff:

Tamas

This whole "digital learning"* thing in Hungary is not going that well, at least in the one example of my friend's kid (who just started elementary school this year).

e.g. one teacher sends a whole week's topic to the kid and parents on Monday, and that's it - she considers herself done for the week. Not very helpful when some random parent should figure out how to teach basic math to a kid.

* - It is called "digital learning" rather than "school closure" because the schools got closed on a Sunday a couple of weeks ago but just the Friday before Orban was scolding school directors who closed down their schools without government authorisation. So, because Orban is never wrong, ever, the schools are still open, just nobody is allowed to go there (apart from essential workers' kids as usual). :P

derspiess

For the digital learning thing, I can say that at least for my two kids it's going much better than expected.  I think it was announced was around Thursday 3/12 that Ohio schools were to be shut down starting the following Monday.  I ordered Chromebooks from Amazon for both kids and received both on that weekend (we could have borrowed them from the school but I'm a fan of self-provisioning and I found a deal).  So both kids were ready to hit the ground running that Monday. 

The first week was supposed to be a test run and was not mandatory, but it went well for both kids and they effectively did not miss a day of school.  Either we got lucky and their teachers had started planning ahead, or the school had a contingency plan that went into effect.  Whatever the case, I'm impressed.

Granted, they are probably not getting the same level of instruction that they were while attending school in person, but I'm supplementing with some lessons of my own, and the wife is loading them up with creative activities.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on April 06, 2020, 11:07:21 AM
For the digital learning thing, I can say that at least for my two kids it's going much better than expected.  I think it was announced was around Thursday 3/12 that Ohio schools were to be shut down starting the following Monday.  I ordered Chromebooks from Amazon for both kids and received both on that weekend (we could have borrowed them from the school but I'm a fan of self-provisioning and I found a deal).  So both kids were ready to hit the ground running that Monday. 

The first week was supposed to be a test run and was not mandatory, but it went well for both kids and they effectively did not miss a day of school.  Either we got lucky and their teachers had started planning ahead, or the school had a contingency plan that went into effect.  Whatever the case, I'm impressed.

Granted, they are probably not getting the same level of instruction that they were while attending school in person, but I'm supplementing with some lessons of my own, and the wife is loading them up with creative activities.

That sounds good and your 'ahead of the curve' as far as the risk of boredom is concerned.

Though I don't think all parents will be as dedicated as you two, I imagine a fair few have already stuck the kids in front of screens along with unrestricted access to youtube etc.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

I gave my youngest a "radio" - a once popular but now obscure device designed to receive broadcasted "radio" signals over the air.

Kept him occupied for the last couple days.

Funniest part was explaining why there is so much hissing noise.  He assumed it was broken.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 06, 2020, 12:04:45 PM
I gave my youngest a "radio" - a once popular but now obscure device designed to receive broadcasted "radio" signals over the air.

Funniest part was explaining why there is so much hissing noise.  He assumed it was broken.

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2020, 09:39:34 PM
I cope by doing. I'm... doing a lot and still feeling like I'm not coping. :(
I think that's natural. I would like an article about why it's okay to be productive and sort of measure you're time in lockdown by doing things. Because, I get the articles on the other side are useful for some people but they don't really resonate with me - and I'm not trying to be, I don't know smug or difficult with it.

They main issue for me is I am quite a social person. I've also been stuck in my flat and hospital with injury before this for a couple of months. And in that time I was sort of making big plans of what I was going to do once I recovered - holiday, exhibition and cinema trips, seeing people etc. That's kind of gone now which is a shame and I feel like I did the accepting empty time and being non-productive when I couldn't move :lol:

My way of productivity is cooking so far. I am planning meals days in advance. All of my food orders are shaped around what I plan to do. I'm having a cooked breakfast of some sort every day. Cooking a big soup for lunches. Cooking all sorts - lately rendangs and laksas and kedgerees because I've had a craving for spice and chilli. And I go for a daily walk. I am aware that a lot of this is me displacing my, like, planning pleasure from what I'm going to do when I get out of hospital to what I'm going to eat next week. And I'm aware that I'm probably doing all this cooking to fulfil those plans and also to avoid more acres of time opening up than I need.

I think it's okay as a way of coping, to do. It feels like there's a bit of pressure to be non-productive and to try and appreciate this "pause" in our daily lives. But I don't think all people work the same. Personally I did that and now I need to be productive and I need to fill my time and I think that's also okay? :mellow:  :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

I acutely need red wine and to travel. The otherwise fine travel movie recommendations I got here have done nothing for me.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 06, 2020, 12:04:45 PM

I'm sorry, a ... what? A rah-DY-oh? :hmm:

:D

How old is your youngest? I don't think I ever knew that you had children. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Liep on April 06, 2020, 02:37:10 PM
I acutely need red wine and to travel. The otherwise fine travel movie recommendations I got here have done nothing for me.

Dear gods, yes. All of that... :(

I did join a wine club, so I have wine aplenty. I'm trying to space it out so it lasts, and to give myself something to look forward to. "You can have that bottle once you've completed this many projects. And that bottle once you've done X." It's been kind of helpful, for the most part.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...