I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

KRonn

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on April 03, 2020, 07:04:37 AM
So as a few of you know, I lost my job yesterday. My little weekly jewish paper, which was suffering from a pre-exisiting condition was felled by COVID, and is forced to shutter down permanently.
I've been there for around 30 years, so it's hard, but I'm healthy still and look forward to moving on, at some point.

Sorry to hear this. I've had similar happen, as has most or all of us, and it's always rough.

Best of luck. I sure that you'll bounce back nicely, given that you are obviously a great employee having been there for 30 years.

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2020, 11:14:30 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 03, 2020, 10:29:30 AM
Just a suggestion to other posters, open your windows and listen to the birdsong.

I'm gonna get up early tomorrow and record the dawn chorus, hopefully with the pre-virus drone of traffic a mile away.

Weather has finally gotten decent around here.  I've got some of the windows open and am finding more & more excuses to hang out on the deck.  Birds are nice but there are a couple damned woodpeckers I'm tempted to eliminate :ph34r:

Cool and rainy here for a few days, but clearing and warming up over the weekend and into next week. No probs with woodpeckers, but I do have a couple of them that feed at my suet feeder.   :cool:

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2020, 06:29:05 PM

Makes my own disappointments seem kinda petty.  I am retiring at the end of this school year and was kinda bummed that I will never get to teach in my cool classroom (it had an 18' by 6' conference table instead of desks) ever again.  I won't get to see any of my students before they graduate.  We're still doing an online school, but it isn't the same.  On the other hand, it's just the loss of nice-to-have, as opposed to what is happening to people like you.

I have a feeling that there will be a lot of opportunities opening up as this virus thing recedes, and I hope that rising tide lifts your boat.

Grats on retiring, but rather bittersweet as you describe thngs, given the current circumstances. I hope at some point your fellow teachers can give you a belated send off.  Maybe a few former students will show up too.  :)

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on April 03, 2020, 07:04:37 AM
So as a few of you know, I lost my job yesterday. My little weekly jewish paper, which was suffering from a pre-exisiting condition was felled by COVID, and is forced to shutter down permanently.
I've been there for around 30 years, so it's hard, but I'm healthy still and look forward to moving on, at some point.
damn, sorry to hear that.  :(
Small newspapers were already struggling, this thing hit everyone at the wrong moment :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Another cultural streaming thing - can get a free 30 day trial of Marqee TV which has got lots including 17 RSC plays :)
https://www.rsc.org.uk/news/watch-rsc-shows-from-home
Let's bomb Russia!

fromtia

@Josephus, sorry to hear about the paper, that's a bummer. I saw that the ranks of the Languish unemployed had gone up by one and wondered who it was.

I'm on day 16 since my place was closed. Starting to lose my mind a little bit, but staying busy cooking for my family, making the yard pretty and going on bike rides.

I'm making peasant food, soups and stews. Still no yeast, so its still homemade flat bread.

Beard is coming in nicely, thinking of doing a quarantine mohawk to go with.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Barrister

So Mrs B asked when I went to the grocery store to find... yeast.  :lol:

I looked.  The shelves had a picked over, but present, selection of flour.  But when it came to yeast... nothing.

But wait!  There was a single plastic container up on the top shelf.  Clear plastic, with what looked like yeast in it.  Just one.

I picked it up.  it had a sticker on it.  It had a bar code on it, and a single word - "Yeast".  :yeahright:

I took it to the self check-out.  I scanned it - it rang up as yeast, $5.99.  I bought it.

My best guess is the bakery section of the store had extra yeast, so they just put it out on the store shelves.

Haven't tried baking with it yet.  I figure we'll tell right away if it is yeast or not when we try to activate it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Waited forever for our click and collect pickup with 5 other cars while third of the big parking lot was cordoned off so people can do the loose spread queueing for the store. Don't go shopping during the weekend folks.

No yeast.

And I forgot to check and they didn't include the beer they charged me for. Clearly they were overwhelmed for some reason so I am going to assume it was an honest mistake and not gonna try to somehow get my 4 pounds back but it is sure annoying.

Admiral Yi

Do you guys have dish soap?  Even plastic bags will do.  :(

celedhring

I have nailed down the time when my closest supermarket gets restocked and now I have everything EVERYTHING  :menace:

The Larch

There was plenty of yeast at my local supermarkey when I did some shopping last week. Was it on tuesday? Wednesday? Who remembers anymore?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 04, 2020, 12:56:33 PM
There was plenty of yeast at my local supermarkey when I did some shopping last week. Was it on tuesday? Wednesday? Who remembers anymore?
Why are days?

Went for my daily exercise and the weather is beautiful (:weep:) local park far less busy than it would be normally and only saw small groups. Everyone trying to keep their distance.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2020, 12:55:24 PM

Three bottles of it!  :smoke:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 04, 2020, 01:05:05 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2020, 12:55:24 PM

Three bottles of it!  :smoke:

You could set up a bustling black market empire, if you also get some yeast on the side.