49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on April 01, 2020, 08:27:56 PM
I am retired, but for going on two and a half years I've been working at the company I retired from. It works out well. Part time, usually a few mornings a week 5 to 6 hours (I start early), though I can work as much as I want. They've been really busy, expanding and buying new hospitals all over the country.
Nice. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2020, 11:50:05 AM

That all sounds like a lot of work...much easier to throw stuff into a bowl, mix it, and fry it in a pan.  :P

In honor of Toni, I made pancakes for lunch. ^_^

Recipe

• 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 T sugar
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 2 T oil
  • 2 overripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sour dough starter

Mix dry ingredients together. In another bowl, mix wet ingredient together. Mix both together and fry on hot butter in a cast iron skillet. Top with butter, chopped walnuts, and maple syrup.

:mmm:

They were delicious!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

https://www.vulture.com/amp/2020/04/frasier-coronavirus-episode.html?__twitter_impression=true

QuoteHow would TV's most beloved characters navigate social distancing? We asked dozens of showrunners and writers to answer that question. Below, Frasier executive producer Christopher Lloyd imagines a scene between Frasier and Niles as they're stuck indoors because of the coronavirus.

FRASIER SITS AT A TABLE WITH A CAPPUCCINO.

FRASIER
Good morning, Niles.

NILES SITS AT A SEPARATE TABLE WITH CAPPUCCINO.

NILES
And to you, Frasier.

NILES, IN RUBBER GLOVES, WIPES HIS CHAIR WITH HIS HANDKERCHIEF, THEN MOVES ON TO WIPE HIS OPEN LAPTOP. WE NOW SEE THEY ARE IN DIFFERENT HOUSES AND SPEAK VIA SKYPE. NILES WIPES HIS CAMERA LENS.

FRASIER
Not that I don't delight to the squealing of your rubber glove across the camera lens, but Dr. Freud might wonder if an excess cleansing of one's physical space didn't bespeak the distinctly unclean state of one's own mind.

NILES
I have had impure thoughts during this confinement. Last night at virtual wine club, I assayed a ripe Bordeaux held more promise than the loose laces on a beer-hall barmaid's peasant blouse.

FRASIER
You apologized, of course.

NILES
I resigned.

FRASIER
You're worried about Maris, I'm sure. There are hard times for the slight. I recall seeing a single sneeze send her rocketing backward through your Japanese dressing screen.

NILES
She does have a place in the house that's sneeze-safe.

FRASIER
Ah, yes, the padded room. We knew it would come in handy one day.

NILES
So, should we be concerned about Dad?

FRASIER
I've given that some thought. Here's where I come out. Imagine the most pernicious bacteria in the dark corners of Madame Curie's lab, black spores so malevolent other spores are afraid to be around them. Even these are no match for what teems in that plaid petri dish of a chair he's spent the last 30 years in. The man is battle-tested.

NILES
Well, you've allayed my concerns. And you, Frasier, you're bearing up?

FRASIER
I am. I've even reconnected with some old friends. A Haydn sonata I first learned in prep school, a volume of bawdy Rimbaud poems I used to recite to Lilith to stoke the fires.

NILES
Stoke the —

FRASIER
Fine, scrape the frost. It got the chopstick out of her bun. Shall I recite one?

NILES
Coming, Daphne! She needs my help.

FRASIER
I heard no cry of distress.

NILES
You would have if you'd started to recite a poem.

FRASIER
Very well. And you're surviving, Niles?

NILES
I am. Better now ... contact is everything, isn't it? Thank you, Dr. Crane.

HE CLINKS HIS CAPPUCCINO TO HIS LENS.

FRASIER
Thank you, Dr. Crane.

HE TOO CLINKS.

NILES
Even a short conversation like that does wonders. I've found myself getting quite neurotic ... wound up ... tight like—

FRASIER
Oh, for God's sake, Niles, just do it. It will kill you if you don't.

NILES
Bless you, Frasier.

NILES FURIOUSLY SCRUBS THE LENS WHERE HIS COFFEE CUP TOUCHED IT, AND WE FADE OUT.

^_^
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I've gained 1 Kg in 20 days of confinement  :cry:

I'm doing home exercises but I have no equipment. I need to step up my improvised cardio...

garbon

I've lost 2.5kg. I think its due to me eating better (aka smaller meals) than how I do when I buy lunch while at work.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I'm eating less too, but I tend to gain weight if I'm not active - I have the metabolism of a hibernating bear. I wish jogging was allowed, hopefully outdoors exercising will be one of the first restrictions lifted this month.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on April 03, 2020, 02:43:52 AM

I'm doing home exercises but I have no equipment. I need to step up my improvised cardio...

Checkout body weight exercises on YouTube
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Weekly shopping done. Supermarkets are supposed to hand out masks to customers this week. From next week it's mandatory to wear one in supermarkets.

My supermarket didn't hand out masks. But 95% of people wore one. So I felt like a weirdo without a mask. Human herd mentality is a funny thing. Only a month ago it was weird to see people with mask.

Toilet paper was low, but I got my preferred bread this time. Didn't check for yeast. :P It's funny the cravings you can develop. I haven't had fish sticks in probably 20 years, but now I bought several packs. :D Also, Pringles Teriyaki BBQ flavor are awesome and may become my official self isolation snack.

Le Nozze di Figaro is on the Vienna Staatsoper stream today. I caught half an hour of Nixon in China on the Met's channel yesterday, but it was too late so I had to go to bed. Unfortunately it's off the free rotation today. It seemed weird but interesting.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2020, 03:33:47 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 03, 2020, 02:43:52 AM

Checkout body weight exercises on YouTube

I've done so and do them, but I need to find a good cardio routine. I'm going to try mountain climbers now. My problem is that I can't jump around my living room without breaking something, plus I have bad knees  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2020, 03:46:15 AMI caught half an hour of Nixon in China on the Met's channel yesterday, but it was too late so I had to go to bed. Unfortunately it's off the free rotation today. It seemed weird but interesting.
I've only listened to it - I think by the Met - but liked it a lot. Shame it's not still available to stream.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I found it on YouTube, but without subtitles. :ph34r:

James Maddalena channeled Nixon's mannerisms so well as to be eerie.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2020, 03:07:43 AM
I've lost 2.5kg. I think its due to me eating better (aka smaller meals) than how I do when I buy lunch while at work.

Yeah, nothing so dramatic for me but despite the lack of exercise I seem to be trending down.

Probably due to the shortage of pop and chocolate in the house.
██████
██████
██████

garbon