I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on March 30, 2020, 02:19:12 AM
Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2020, 12:20:13 AM
I made phyllo dough from scratch today. My friend and I challenged each other to try it.

:mellow:

We've decided frozen phyllo is just fine.  :sleep:

A colleague and his wife have started making sour dough from apples, flour, and water. A week or so to go until they can make bread from it. His wife is an archaeologist, specialized in the neolithic period, so this is kind of working from home for her (that and cataloging boxes of pottery shards). :D

Oh, that sounds intriguing! And makes sense, since apples carry a ton of wild yeasts. I'm curious to know how that turns out. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on March 30, 2020, 07:46:26 AM
I made phyllo dough from scratch today. My friend and I challenged each other to try it.

I first read it as phallus doll, and had to do a double take.  :blush:

:lol:

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2020, 12:02:44 PM
Making filo pastry at home is not ever worth it.

It's up there with making croissants as someting I thought would be fun but then realised I'm perfectly happy for other people to do for me :lol:

Right??

She and I were like, "WE'RE GONNA DO THE THING!!" And we did the thing and now we're both like, "So.... phyllo dough in the frozen food section is cheap and plentiful...."

Syt

Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2020, 01:21:00 PM

A colleague and his wife have started making sour dough from apples, flour, and water. A week or so to go until they can make bread from it. His wife is an archaeologist, specialized in the neolithic period, so this is kind of working from home for her (that and cataloging boxes of pottery shards). :D

Oh, that sounds intriguing! And makes sense, since apples carry a ton of wild yeasts. I'm curious to know how that turns out. :)

Will do. She named the cultures Adalbert and Svanahilda (after the founder of the monastery in Tegernsee and his mother). :nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HisMajestyBOB

Stubble status: itchy.
The longest I've gone without fully shaving previously was 10 days, and I did Movember for one month. My mustache looked terrible. My brother grows awesome facial hair and styles it after various Civil War generals (yes, even including Burnside). He must have taken all the good facial hair genes.

My son is starting to realize something is up. He's just over two, but has been talking about how he misses going to his friend's house and to visit his grandparents. He's noticed that we no longer go to his weekly swim lessons. However, he also really enjoys having me working from home. He's been really good at not going downstairs to disturb me when I'm working, but really enjoys the extra few hours he gets now that I eat lunch with him and no longer need to commute. Transitioning back to normal will be tough on him.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Two supermarket chains in my area offer home delivery. Both don't have any free time slots in the next two weeks :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Iormlund

:lol:

I look at graphs for a living, so it's not really noticeable for me.

Admiral Yi

I think we've already passed peak exponential graphs. :nerd:

Tonitrus

Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2020, 01:21:00 PM

Though I have bread flour, I don't have the skills(or yeast) for fancy breads or loafs.  But with some eggs, milk, and baking powder...I can do an endless variety of pancakes. 

Or, since I have a muffin tin, pancake-batter muffins.  :P

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2020, 11:18:38 AM

Though I have bread flour, I don't have the skills(or yeast) for fancy breads or loafs.  But with some eggs, milk, and baking powder...I can do an endless variety of pancakes. 

"Fancy" is just a word. I made rolls yesterday by throwing some yeast in a bowl with warm water until it bubbled. Then, put some amount of flour (I seriously have no idea how much; maybe a cup? cup and a half?) in a bowl, added some amount of salt, poured in the yeast water and stirred it around. I added a bit more water to make it like muddy water, then added flour until it held together. Then I just pushed it around on the counter until it was elastic, adding just enough flour to keep it from sticking. Set it to rise in a bowl, punched it down, made rolls, let it rise again, then baked.

Easy peasy!

Not that pancakes don't sound good, too. ;)

PDH

Wait, I have been eating the yeast raw.  Shit, I knew there was something I was doing wrong.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: merithyn on March 31, 2020, 11:25:19 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2020, 11:18:38 AM

"Fancy" is just a word. I made rolls yesterday by throwing some yeast in a bowl with warm water until it bubbled. Then, put some amount of flour (I seriously have no idea how much; maybe a cup? cup and a half?) in a bowl, added some amount of salt, poured in the yeast water and stirred it around. I added a bit more water to make it like muddy water, then added flour until it held together. Then I just pushed it around on the counter until it was elastic, adding just enough flour to keep it from sticking. Set it to rise in a bowl, punched it down, made rolls, let it rise again, then baked.

Easy peasy!

Not that pancakes don't sound good, too. ;)

That all sounds like a lot of work...much easier to throw stuff into a bowl, mix it, and fry it in a pan.  :P

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on March 31, 2020, 11:46:52 AM
Wait, I have been eating the yeast raw.  Shit, I knew there was something I was doing wrong.

Well that's not gonna make for a happy tummy. :x

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2020, 05:07:31 PM
I've decided to limit myself pre-picked boxes like: "essential fruit and veg", "dairy and essentials", "toiletry essentials" etc.

I know I am an impulsive shopper when I go to a supermarket. But nothing really brings it home like an impulsive delivery you wait two weeks for  :Embarrass: :blush:

If I need anything that other people haven't considered "essential", then I will go to the shop. I will not take up any more space in the delivery system with my unrestrained nonsense :(

Shelf, to follow on from your comment about are larger supermarkets still selling all categories, this evening I stopped of in a large Tesco, though not the superstore type and it was selling everything, I could have bought cloths, computer stuff, consumer electronics, birthday cards etc.

Funnily enough the only non-accessible lane was the easter eggs, but that was because the girls putting them out had corralled themselves in so as to not be bothered by too close shoppers. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"