49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2020, 11:02:16 AM
Tamas, why don't you just drive?  I looked it up - it's scarcely longer than the distance between Edmonton and Winnipeg, which I've done a whole bunch of times.

Spoken like a true American (the continent, of course).  :lol:

Besides that, I'd assume that a similar trip in Europe would be much more expensive.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on July 14, 2020, 11:17:15 AM
Tamas, why don't you just drive?  I looked it up - it's scarcely longer than the distance between Edmonton and Winnipeg, which I've done a whole bunch of times.

Besides that, I'd assume that a similar trip in Europe would be much more expensive.

I was going to say that it was so typically European that Tamas wouldn't have even considered driving. :lol:

I've done a few big driving trips in Europe: biggest was Frankfurt, to Prague to Krakow to Budapest to Vienna and back to Frankfurt.  Also drove from London to the northern tip of Scotland and back, and Frankfurt down to Rome and back.  Gas is more expensive, but you have smaller more fuel-efficient cars so it's really not too bad.

Now all of that being said, I don't know what crossing borders is like now due to Covid, so maybe it's not much of an option - in particular if they want you to quarantine for 2 weeks for each country you go through.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2020, 11:21:38 AM

I was going to say that it was so typically European that Tamas wouldn't have even considered driving. :lol:

I've done a few big driving trips in Europe: biggest was Frankfurt, to Prague to Krakow to Budapest to Vienna and back to Frankfurt.  Also drove from London to the northern tip of Scotland and back, and Frankfurt down to Rome and back.  Gas is more expensive, but you have smaller more fuel-efficient cars so it's really not too bad.

Now all of that being said, I don't know what crossing borders is like now due to Covid, so maybe it's not much of an option - in particular if they want you to quarantine for 2 weeks for each country you go through.

If you want to spend half of your holidays on the road, more power to you.  :P

Sheilbh

The appropriate European way to travel from London to Budapest is by train and includes at least one night on a couchette :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on July 14, 2020, 11:35:24 AM

It's a great way to see a country. :)

Gups

Yeah, road trips are fine if you max out at 200 miles a day stopping for a long lunch. I love taking a couple of days to get to the Dordogne or Provence. But it's just miserable if you want to get somewhere quick.

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on July 14, 2020, 11:38:05 AM
Yeah, road trips are fine if you max out at 200 miles a day stopping for a long lunch. I love taking a couple of days to get to the Dordogne or Provence. But it's just miserable if you want to get somewhere quick.

Yeah, those trips I mentioned were all done at a relaxed pace.

But sometimes you just need to get in the zone and drive for 12+ hours.  Mrs B and I once did Whitehorse-Edmonton in a 24 hour continues run in order to make it back for a funeral (I think the flights were all booked up).

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2020, 11:37:51 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 14, 2020, 11:35:24 AM

It's a great way to see a country. :)

Driving by regional roads maybe, but that takes ages. Highway driving tends to be rather boring.

Tamas

I have seriously considered driving. I would need to stop halfway though. I have friends in Germany on the way so it's an option but I don't want to impose myself on them at a time like this.

I did the drive the other way as a bus passenger 20 years ago without stopping (two drivers). took 23 hours.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2020, 12:44:42 PM
I did the drive the other way as a bus passenger 20 years ago without stopping (two drivers). took 23 hours.
:x

Doing the bus ride to Morocco and back for a holiday was the point I decided I needed to just get over my fear of flying.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2020, 12:44:42 PM
I have seriously considered driving. I would need to stop halfway though. I have friends in Germany on the way so it's an option but I don't want to impose myself on them at a time like this.

Ordinarily I'd say get a hotel room, but in this case just pull over to a rest area when you get too tired to drive and sleep for a few hours.

Zanza

I was in the office the first time since mid March today. It felt a bit like those pictures of deserted cities near Chernobyl. Except for all the new Corona signage, disinfectants, cleaning material and of course wearing a mask if away from your own desk.

Zanza

Driving on a German autobahn, which would be like a third of Tamas' total distance is significantly more stressful than a North American highway.

Syt

Social distancing discipline has pretty much collapsed at our office. The reasoning seems to be that if one of us gets/has it, we'll all get it, anyways.

We had a doctor review our arrangements last week. He said that we should keep the windows open at all times, especially if there's more than one person in a room.Also, there shouldn't be more than two people in any room at any time. Like in our office where we sit with 4-5 people most days (soon 6!).

He will write an official report for management who will likely ignore it citing government requirements and regulations.

I'm scheduled to hold a quick training session for an hour with 10 or so participants in our normal meeting room tomorrow. :)

:bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on July 14, 2020, 01:16:13 PM
Driving on a German autobahn, which would be like a third of Tamas' total distance is significantly more stressful than a North American highway.

DIsagree.  The Autobahn was a delight to drive because everyone followed the rules so precisely.