49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 14, 2020, 11:36:56 AM
The appropriate European way to travel from London to Budapest is by train and includes at least one night on a couchette :wub:

:yes:
Once you get to Central/Eastern Europe trains get significantly slower anyways so night trains are more much interesting, thanks namely to the Austrian Nightjet service lately.

The Brain

I've seen movies of people pulling trains in Eastern Europe. Do you have to do that?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

You can camp in the slow lane on the autobahn, can't you?

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2020, 01:50:10 PM
I've seen movies of people pulling trains in Eastern Europe. Do you have to do that?
Only if you want to get somewhere.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on July 14, 2020, 02:37:07 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2020, 01:50:10 PM
Only if you want to get somewhere.

:console:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Not true. Some make it one customer at a time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Zanza on July 14, 2020, 01:16:13 PM
Driving on a German autobahn, which would be like a third of Tamas' total distance is significantly more stressful than a North American highway.

:lol:

Yeah... no. Not even close. The autobahn was a fucking delight compared to driving in Chicago/NYC/Seattle. :contract:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2020, 01:20:24 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 14, 2020, 01:16:13 PM
Driving on a German autobahn, which would be like a third of Tamas' total distance is significantly more stressful than a North American highway.

DIsagree.  The Autobahn was a delight to drive because everyone followed the rules so precisely.

I have regularly driven at 200+ kph on German autobahns and I can't think of any time I was particularly stressed. I was really focused, though. It's the only way to drive at those speeds.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 14, 2020, 01:46:20 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 14, 2020, 11:36:56 AM
The appropriate European way to travel from London to Budapest is by train and includes at least one night on a couchette :wub:

:yes:
Once you get to Central/Eastern Europe trains get significantly slower anyways so night trains are more much interesting, thanks namely to the Austrian Nightjet service lately.
I've been on enough Ukrainian sleepers to also confirm that your fellow passengers make it so much more interesting.

I'm thrilled by the Austrian train company launching/buying all these old routes falling into disrepair. Hope we see a lot more of it especially if people start flying less for a variety of reasons.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2020, 02:30:16 PM

Yeah, but you really want to check your mirrors before changing lanes to pass.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2020, 02:30:16 PM

Slow lane on the autobahn has some really slow-moving Euro trucks though, so unless you want to go 80 kph you're going to want to do some passing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

I ain't going to do a straight 20 hours drive all by myself in a right-side steering wheel car on the continent if I don't have to. I am no stranger to long drives (9 hour drive to Poland in winter snow comes to mind, or a 24+ hour one with my father from Barcelona to Hungary) but just doesn't strike me as a good idea.

Also I am not keen on leaving my wife on her own in England for two weeks or even more if further restrictions are introduced by either country while I am away.

Probably just going to hope it will remain a managed pandemic during the winter.

Sheilbh

Maybe but I think this is about as managed as it's going to get and the risk of a winter second wave (when everyone is shoved back inside next to each other) is not insignificant.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Maybe 50% maskage at Wally World.

Caliga

I was at Home Depot and Kroger on Sunday and mask usage was 100% at both.  Is Kentucky: smarter than Iowa.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points