A Simpler Life? - Society / Economy after the Virus

Started by mongers, March 21, 2020, 05:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2020, 02:49:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2020, 02:10:06 PM

Okay but that's not generally true of large European cities.

I was in Barcelona, Naples, and Rome. :mellow:

Okay? It doesn't mean that you aren't still wrong about those facts. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2020, 02:54:13 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2020, 02:49:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2020, 02:10:06 PM

Okay but that's not generally true of large European cities.

I was in Barcelona, Naples, and Rome. :mellow:

Okay? It doesn't mean that you aren't still wrong about those facts. :mellow:

:hmm:

I shared what my experiences were in those large European cities. What "facts" am I wrong about?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Well you made it pretty clear my experience is wrong so why not yours? :lol: Just kidding.

Seriously though, I guess I just found it odd given the horrible and dehumanizing living conditions that Mono claims most of Hong Kong residents endure because of the extreme cost of living there that they could afford to eat out all the time. I mean I can't and I have great living conditions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2020, 03:02:45 PM
Well you made it pretty clear my experience is wrong so why not yours? :lol: Just kidding.

Seriously though, I guess I just found it odd given the horrible and dehumanizing living conditions that Mono claims most of Hong Kong residents endure because of the extreme cost of living there that they could afford to eat out all the time. I mean I can't and I have great living conditions.

I don't know if the cost of living is necessarily that extreme in HK.  You've seen the apartments they live in - calling them shoeboxes would be an insult to shoeboxes.

As such restaurants can get away with paying lower wages (plus with lots of mainlanders willing to come and work for those low wages), and with wages being the #1 cost of a restaurant, they can then charge lower prices.

Or so goes my theory.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quite a nice time lapse video of a Saturday night drive through central London out to the suburbs, regent street to the hamersmith flyover (a drive/journey I've done many times):

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-52084872/timelapse-the-streets-of-london-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HisMajestyBOB

I ate out a lot in Shanghai. My wife still cooked a lot because she enjoys cooking. Eating out was cheap but cooking was even cheaper, especially if you bought from the corner vegetable market instead of the supermarket.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tamas

Of course you will find cheap food when there's next to no sanitation requirements, duh.

mongers

I was a bit confused, but now I got it straight in my mind, this is the haircuts and yeast thread? 

Syt

With travel being disrupted probably for many months to come, Austria will be quite hard hit. 1 in 14 jobs in Austria is in tourism. Vienna alone had 7.5 million tourist visitors in 2018, with each spending 2-3 nights on average. 73% of tourists come from abroad. Big chain hotels and restaurants will likely be fine, but a lot of small hotels and gastronomy business, esp. in the countryside, have very limited financial reserves to make it through a dry spell.

Tourism, travel, and leisure make up for 15% of the Austrian economy, with only Greece and Portugal a higher percentage.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on April 05, 2020, 04:02:43 AM
With travel being disrupted probably for many months to come, Austria will be quite hard hit. 1 in 14 jobs in Austria is in tourism. Vienna alone had 7.5 million tourist visitors in 2018, with each spending 2-3 nights on average. 73% of tourists come from abroad. Big chain hotels and restaurants will likely be fine, but a lot of small hotels and gastronomy business, esp. in the countryside, have very limited financial reserves to make it through a dry spell.

Tourism, travel, and leisure make up for 15% of the Austrian economy, with only Greece and Portugal a higher percentage.

If travel suffers out of corona I can see Austria holding better than most to be honest. Located where it is, very central in Europe, it could well make up somewhat for the loss of travellers from far afield with an uptick in people travelling over land from nearby countries.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

You assume that borders open again soon for casual travel.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Travel restrictions combined with economic malaise in other nations will make tourism suffer badly. But a lot of other industries will suffer just as much.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on April 05, 2020, 08:08:00 AM
You assume that borders open again soon for casual travel.
It'll happen before air travel is back to normal.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on April 05, 2020, 08:16:49 AM
Travel restrictions combined with economic malaise in other nations will make tourism suffer badly. But a lot of other industries will suffer just as much.
Yeah. They may also depend on tourism, but the shut down of all hospitality and cultural venues is a big chunk of the economy of any big city. That sector's going to be full of small businesses and employ lots of people, usually on quite low wages.

I think they will bounce back but if we're going to be in and out of lockdown for a prolonged period they'll all need help.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on April 05, 2020, 08:16:49 AM

Indeed, I think easily available international travel will take several years to come back.