8 (27.6%)
Other (name it)
2 (6.9%)
The Jaron Strain
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

celedhring

As you know, I love film polls!

This has to be a film dealing with a contemporary worldwide pandemic. I'm going to exclude zombie virus films in order to narrow down the field, because there's so friggin' many zombie plague films. Same with vampire/mutant viruses.

I had doubts whether to list 12 Monkeys, the plague is just really a McGuffin there, but there it goes.

Anyway, for me it's Children of Men, for me. I love how the film is shot, and how clever it is with its "plague". It's odd and poignant. Blindness tried the same thing but it was shit, so it doesn't even make the list.

Legbiter

What's the name of the one where Gwyneth Paltrow kills everyone?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

Quote from: Legbiter on March 17, 2020, 08:02:19 AM
What's the name of the one where Gwyneth Paltrow kills everyone?

Contagion.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Children of Men.

I was enjoying this film and thought it was decent. Then either it was the first single-shot scene or the first I noted and it just became so thrilling and engrossing. I love it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

12 monekys is one of my favourite films, so no contest here.  :P

mongers

:blink:

No 'Omega Man'

edit:
Or what about 'The Satan Bug' from the 1960s, iirc that was reasonably good.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on March 17, 2020, 08:24:52 AM
:blink:

No 'Omega Man'

edit:
Or what about 'The Satan Bug' from the 1960s, iirc that was reasonably good.

Omega Man has a vampire/mutant virus, it doesn't qualify. Haven't seen the other one.

Duque de Bragança

Other:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, not literally, but for the latest blockbuster remake.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2020, 07:24:22 AM

Anyway, for me it's Children of Men, for me. I love how the film is shot, and how clever it is with its "plague". It's odd and poignant. Blindness tried the same thing but it was shit, so it doesn't even make the list.

Children of Men is just a pretentious and expensive rip-off of an Italian post-apocalyptic rip-off (2019 after the Fall of New York). [spoiler]last fertile woman and Guernica scene[/spoiler]

The Brain

Children of Men is a dog movie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Another recommendation, the 'Survivors' a BBC 1970s TV series about a virus/plague killing the vast majority of people, well worth watching the first episode on youtube has it has some eerie echoes of last few days here.

https://youtu.be/zAyjkaFYnzE
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Syt

Out of these movies I've only seen Andromeda Strain, so I guess that's what I'm obliged to vote for.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.