Bernard Sanders
24 (40.7%)
Joseph Biden
29 (49.2%)
This question scares me
6 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

garbon

I guess we will see how good universal healthcare systems are at dealing with the virus. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2020, 11:44:27 AM
So far so good  :)

Yeah not sure how that determination can be made at this time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

If people aren't getting tested in the US because of the expense or because of a refusal to test, then our numbers will look pretty good!

If the CDC doesn't even publish the numbers, then we'll look even better!
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on March 03, 2020, 08:13:59 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 03, 2020, 08:05:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 03, 2020, 05:39:23 AM
You know what, actually, it should be Sanders running against Trump. If the Coronavirus epidemic becomes bad enough there because poor people simply don't have the money to be checked, and things go to shit, that will be as powerful an argument for a civilised healthcare system suggested by Sanders as any the US is ever likely to receive.

:yes:

You guys really have no idea how health care in the US actually works, do you?  I can understand how Tamas would be confused about it, but HMB should know better (assuming that I'm remembering it correctly that HMB is an American).

If I went by what a lot of the media says about the US health care system or what many internet posters say, I would never have been to a doctor in my adult  life, because I would have just assumed that I couldn't afford it.  Well, guess what, I can afford health care and doctor's visits, even though I probably have one of the lowest household incomes of any poster here.

I almost died from diabetes because I hadn't been diagnosed or been to the doctor in several years.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: dps on March 03, 2020, 08:13:59 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 03, 2020, 08:05:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 03, 2020, 05:39:23 AM
You know what, actually, it should be Sanders running against Trump. If the Coronavirus epidemic becomes bad enough there because poor people simply don't have the money to be checked, and things go to shit, that will be as powerful an argument for a civilised healthcare system suggested by Sanders as any the US is ever likely to receive.

:yes:

You guys really have no idea how health care in the US actually works, do you?  I can understand how Tamas would be confused about it, but HMB should know better (assuming that I'm remembering it correctly that HMB is an American).

If I went by what a lot of the media says about the US health care system or what many internet posters say, I would never have been to a doctor in my adult  life, because I would have just assumed that I couldn't afford it.  Well, guess what, I can afford health care and doctor's visits, even though I probably have one of the lowest household incomes of any poster here.

Well I was having some chest pains and high blood pressure issues when I was in engineering school so I went to get tested to make sure I wasn't developing some kind of heart condition. I got tested and everything was fine but I got billed for $1,800 dollars of which my health insurance paid for 800 of it (and it was not the only bill I got...). So I, who was currently not working to finish my degree and had taken out loans to get me through had a bill I couldn't pay just to go make sure nothing was wrong, I was not even treated for anything! And I had health insurance. But I don't know what your household income is, but I am glad you can afford those kinds of charges just to get checked out.

Well then just last year my doctor sent me to get some blood tests done and we both assumed my insurance would cover it. My insurance decided it had far better medical knowledge than my doctor did and decided I shouldn't have gotten that blood test and made me pay $500 for it. Again in neither case was I actually sick or getting treated for anything it is just all preventitive shit that I get such big charges for.

And last year I paid thousands for my kids health care and again, I have insurance. Pretty good insurance. So I don't know what you are talking about, but my experience of health care in the United States is that it is really expensive to do anything...or rather to do nothing but just get tested for stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Sometimes I have thought I should just go to my insurance company instead of my doctor for treatment. They might as well tell me what sorts of tests and treatments I should be getting before they refuse to cover them :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 03, 2020, 12:52:52 PM
Vote Sanders, you fools.

To watch him fail to implement his signature policy?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 03, 2020, 01:14:53 PM
Vote Sanders, you fools.

The logic that Sanders supporters have explained to me is that they understand none of his policies will get passed as he wants them, but a compromised position is probably going to be better than they would get from somebody less radical. I don't know.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 03, 2020, 01:18:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 03, 2020, 01:14:53 PM
Vote Sanders, you fools.

The logic that Sanders supporters have explained to me is that they understand none of his policies will get passed as he wants them, but a compromised position is probably going to be better than they would get from somebody less radical. I don't know.

Which seems odd given he already got dialogue on healthcare shifted (at least during primary). Not sure how much further he can shift the conversation as president on that topic - with what not native base of congressional support in congress...bar AOC and those like minded?

DGuller

There is merit in not starting out negotiating with yourself.  That said, there is also merit in knowing what you're voting for, and when the candidate is widely believed to be full of shit, you don't get that.

Barrister

One of the other things I don't like about Sanders is he seems very comfortable with some of Trump's tricks, like attacking the media (he refused to answer a question posed by the Washington Post the other day), or refusing to release medical records (which would seem to be important information for someone who recently suffered a heart attack).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

chipwich

I don't think Obama took essential economic reform seriously enough, and that passes onto his Vice President. I early voted for Klobuchar but I'll support Sanders.

Valmy

Ultimately my position is:

1. The Democrats better support whomever wins the plurality of the votes, to not do so would be disastrous in the current paranoid anti-establishment atmosphere. The narrative of the crooked Democrats would be hard to shrug off.

2. Even if they screw the first part up I will support the nominee with my money and time despite the fact I do not have a ton of confidence in the likely winners.