Joseph Biden
29 (49.2%)
This question scares me
6 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on March 05, 2020, 03:35:58 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2020, 12:41:48 PM
I want to be clear that my horror has little to do with Bernie or his politics, and more to do with how ill-equipped humans in 2020 are to expose themselves to social networks without falling into one rabbit hole or another.

The sometimes over-the-top Bernie freakout is pretty funny I gotta say.

I saw that on Twitter and I did a big lol
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Legbiter on March 05, 2020, 03:35:58 PMThe sometimes over-the-top Bernie freakout is pretty funny I gotta say.

It's a freakout because people think - rightly in my view - that the stakes are high, and if you think - as I fear - that Biden will not do well in a campaign against Trump, it's the specter of 4 more years of sliding into authoritarianism that is being raised.

If you want to get a taste of freakout about something one believes to be important, have a chat with your other self, the one who posts in the coronavirus thread.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 05, 2020, 04:13:07 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 05, 2020, 03:35:58 PMThe sometimes over-the-top Bernie freakout is pretty funny I gotta say.

It's a freakout because people think - rightly in my view - that the stakes are high, and if you think - as I fear - that Biden will not do well in a campaign against Trump, it's the specter of 4 more years of sliding into authoritarianism that is being raised.

The freakouts from Bernie Bros I've seen are not because Biden will lose, but because they don't see a difference between Biden and Trump - they're both "corporate shills" or whatever. :bleeding:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 05, 2020, 04:13:07 PM

Yes, to put it mildly Biden is not a young 77 year old. Watching clips of him speak is always exciting and fun. Will he manage to land that sentence he's struggling to articulate. Dammit, almost but not quite! Trump will tear him limb from limb. It'll be a special on the Gorilla Channel.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Legbiter on March 05, 2020, 04:40:32 PM
Yes, to put it mildly Biden is not a young 77 year old. Watching clips of him speak is always exciting and fun. Will he manage to land that sentence he's struggling to articulate. Dammit, almost but not quite! Trump will tear him limb from limb. It'll be a special on the Gorilla Channel.  :hmm:

Yeah, Trump will  definitely pick up the voters who put an emphasis on eloquence. :lol:

Admiral Yi

A Biden Trump debate will be like two hobos arguing over a bottle.

Barrister

It's as if you haven't heard Trump speak... :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2020, 04:45:35 PM

It's as if you haven't heard Trump speak... :hmm:

The scary part is he has.

Sheilbh

Trump has political skills - and I agree, from my perspective, about his style. But it's worth watching a bit of the re-gendered debate I mentioned to Yi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yC7-JsR2Fk&feature=emb_title

The Guardian piece on it:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/29/clinton-trump-gender-swap-play-her-opponent

Because he is effective and I missed it.

Flipside is I think we focus so much on the negative media Biden's got and his fumbles that we forget he's a serious political operator too - and surprisingly wonkish underneath the persona. I think him against Palin and Ryan showed different skills, but he can pitch it right which is impressive.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

So the PDF thing reminded me...my father retired as a judge a few years ago. He was emailed a pdf form to print out and complete and then mail back in to get retirement benefits. He had no clue what this "pdf" was. I tried to explain, but in vain. He decided the best course of action was to put his desktop computer in his car, drive to his old office, and have one of his former secretaries figure out the "pdf" mystery that was in his email.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on March 05, 2020, 05:40:07 PM
So the PDF thing reminded me...my father retired as a judge a few years ago. He was emailed a pdf form to print out and complete and then mail back in to get retirement benefits. He had no clue what this "pdf" was. I tried to explain, but in vain. He decided the best course of action was to put his desktop computer in his car, drive to his old office, and have one of his former secretaries figure out the "pdf" mystery that was in his email.
At least that makes it less likely he'll discover social media and loss all his mental faculties as a result. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2020, 05:43:47 PM
At least that makes it less likely he'll discover social media and loss all his mental faculties as a result.
Is it really that different than the old chain email? It's just more widespread, no?
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2020, 05:45:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2020, 05:43:47 PM
Is it really that different than the old chain email? It's just more widespread, no?
Chain e-mails don't have an algorithm to deliver just the right dose of confirmation bias at just the right time, straight into your frontal lobe.

Oexmelin

Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2020, 06:03:51 PMChain e-mails don't have an algorithm to deliver just the right dose of confirmation bias at just the right time, straight into your frontal lobe.

Share if you agree.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Biggest downside of a Joe victory: He won't allow the Federal government to prosecute Donald Trump.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017