News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hey Valmy... (Engineering Question)

Started by Savonarola, January 27, 2020, 03:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I've got an area in Colombia where we're seeing an elevated noise floor.  It seems to happen in area either where power lines cross the tracks or we're near transformers; so our first suspicion is that power equipment is the source of our problems.  It seems to be fairly consistent and lasts over a long period of time, so I don't think its power surges.  It could be a rusty bolt effect, especially since people tap into the power lines.  Is there anything else that could break or be installed improperly in a power line or transformer that would cause it to generate such a large electrical field that it would interfere with radio?

(For those of you playing along at home; in radio communication "Noise" is the incidental undesired signal.  The noise floor is the sum of all the sources of undesired noise, usually it's excusively thermal noise at the UHF frequencies we're operating at.  Noise is undesirable because it deteriorates the quality of the desired signal.  I mentioned a power surge because an "Impulse" broadcasts (briefly) across a wide frequency range (which is why you can hear lightning strikes on your AM radio.))
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

"over a long period of time"? So it is periodic? Does it occur consistent with anything like time of day? Does it occur every time the power lines cross the tracks or are near transformers?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2020, 05:01:29 PM
"over a long period of time"? So it is periodic? Does it occur consistent with anything like time of day? Does it occur every time the power lines cross the tracks or are near transformers?

Does it happen with a goat?
Does it happen on a boat?
Does it happen here or there?
Does it happen anywhere?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Engage the manual override then redirect the photon torpedo drive to the flim flam array.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2020, 05:01:29 PM

It doesn't seem to be correlate with time of day.  We don't monitor noise power constantly; but in some of the qualifying train runs the radio supplier did.  We monitor drop packets on the radio system; that is when the data has become so corrupted the radio fails the cyclic redundancy check (CRC) and asks for a retransmission.  The areas of packet drops correlate directly with the area of elevated noise power from the qualifying runs; which tells me that the elevated noise floor is still present.  By "Long period of time" I mean that as long as trains are in these areas they continue to drop packages (that is, it's not an impulse or a series of impulses.)  These areas are near transformers or places where the power lines cross the track.  It isn't everywhere the power lines cross the tracks or the trains run near transformers; just in north where there's a greater population density (and more people stealing power.)  In the south of the line (which is mostly range land) we don't see this problem.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2020, 05:11:15 PM
Engage the manual override then redirect the photon torpedo drive to the flim flam array.

Nah, Sav should just reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.

PDH

I thought this was going to be hot and exciting, like the girls Valmy had in his engineering classes at Texas - not awful and boring like the girls in the engineering classes at UWyo.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: PDH on January 27, 2020, 06:00:03 PM
I thought this was going to be hot and exciting, like the girls Valmy had in his engineering classes at Texas - not awful and boring like the girls in the engineering classes at UWyo.

What about the Californian girls?  :P

mongers

Hey, whilst there are some engineers in this thread I've got a sexy question, with cellphones that have no sim installed, do they use less power or are they still polling the cell towers anyway.

I ask as I want to use some for long term non-telephonic non-data uses and need to cut battery usage to a minimum.

Though I do wonder if it's possible to use them for a call to the emergency services, does that mean the devices are maintaining a normal cell connection.

Another option is to use flight mode, but that often knocks out other audio functions and I'm not sure if the cell connect activity is really 'put to bed' ?

Thanks in advance.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

They still poll. In Canada, they connect.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Airplane mode would completely cut off the cellular network.

Is this a GSM phone, or do you use SIM cards for 3G/4G in Europe?

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on January 27, 2020, 06:00:03 PM

Edison said that "invention is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration."  He didn't add the obvious corollary that "that's why engineers smell so bad."

You can't use "hot and exciting" in the same sentence as "engineering."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

Quote from: grumbler on January 28, 2020, 10:27:41 AM
You can't use "hot and exciting" in the same sentence as "engineering."

I've had a few hot and exciting moments in my career. It's usually not a good thing, though. :ph34r: