Freedom of Expression in Academia and Employment - formerly the Trans Issues.

Started by mongers, January 26, 2020, 10:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 29, 2020, 07:40:54 PM
Oui, et ça perturbe énormément Duque.

Raté, c'est la maire (sic) que je trouve horrible à entendre, qui ressemble trop à la merde. Encore que pour certains maires, et mairesses bien sûr, la question puisse se poser.  :P
C'est aussi la forme exigée par nos chères post-féministes.
Mairesse, même si l'ambiguïté avec la femme du maire est possible n'écorche pas mes oreilles, de même qu'autrice, contrairement à auteure.

Il faut sortir de sa tour d'ivoire et arrêter de se donner un genre Evergreen Oexmelin, car ça te perturbe énormément et tu projettes ça sur ceux qui sont d'un avis opposé.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 29, 2020, 06:11:55 PM

Quote from: Duque de Bragança
:secret:

I know. This is simply one of the supposed crucial moment for the development of "French" - and other romance languages, i.e., a moment when they drop the third gender.

Romanian never dropped it. As for French and other Romance languages given the turmoil, it would hard to say a somewhat precise time. French kept 2 cases till the late middle ages. Remnants of neutral exist.
Not to mention, Frankish was still spoken in Île-de-France till the 9th century roughly.

QuoteCouturier means also male seamstress, nice try.

QuoteApparently, you haven't learned the meaning of "connotes".

You are the one who learned what meanings are.
Connotations are subjective, as perceptions, varying from speaker, hardly authoritative, hardly omnipotent.
Newspeak to make people think and speak the way you believe is right is not desirable. Not all problems can be solved by twisting the language.

QuoteYour so-called positions of power theory does not explain female titles for men such as estafette or sentinelle but that's what happens with feminist cherry-picking, and uninspired one.

QuoteHow permanent were these positions of vast masculine power that estafette and sentinelle evoke?

Hey, sentinelle is my usual position at football!  :blurgh: Sentinelle as Defender has both very positive denotation and connotation.
As for estafette, you do know its meaning, right? Mostly military masculine position.
How about vedette btw?
But then, even lousy jobs for proletarian men only, specially by immigrants for some reason, will somehow qualify as permanent vast masculine positions of power.

QuoteI guess you have not seen ads for secrétaire in a long time in your academical ivory tower.  :lol:

QuoteAbout 30 seconds before posting, to make sure I wasn't making outdated reference. It took me about that to find a bunch of ads with "secrétaire", all conjugated in the feminine. This is, of course, in addition to all those ads written as "assistante".

It took me even less to find with masculine. I guess that if you tried you tried not very hard or cherry picked again.
Masculine is more used nowadays, with the H/F for the gender-obsessed people like you, and/or brackets.

https://candidat.pole-emploi.fr/offres/recherche?lieux=75D&motsCles=secr%C3%A9taire&offresPartenaires=true&rayon=10&tri=0

Interesting you mention Assistant, the post-bac vocational training course was once precisely called Assistant (Trilingue/de direction etc.)
Now changed to a hideous BTS Support (sic) à l'action managériale (sic). I prefer the early version, i.e Assistant de Direction.

QuoteBTS Support à l'action managériale - SAM
"L'assistant(e) a une activité qui est essentiellement de nature relationnelle, organisationnelle et administrative. Sa mission s'inscrit dans un monde en mutation : décloisonnement des services, nomadisme des salariés, internationalisation des entreprises et digitalisation (sic) des activités de l'entreprise.

C'est pourquoi sa fonction d'interface, notamment dans des contextes d'urgence, induit de fortes exigences comportementales et des compétences solides dans le domaine informatique.

From the site of the École Nationale de Commerce, not a business school, but a reference post-high school institution

QuoteIf masculine as neutral outrages you as a gender theorist, try to see it as genre non marqué.

The fact that you deliberately use smirks and sarcasm every time the topic comes up doesn't make you appear less outraged. You are the one so desperately clinging to an unchanging conception of the language. And for what? What is to be gained from that position, that warrants such a stubborn rejection? The fact is, these defenses of "grammatical purity" would have a lot more weight if they came from people who otherwise acknowledged the role of history, the persistent inequality between men and women, or otherwise any of the issues raised by feminists. I am not holding my breath.

You are putting words in my mouth as again, Evergreen Oexmelin. I said earlier than proper French feminine forms are fine by me, though I won't go on a neo-feminist cyber-jihad like you to enforce them.
You are missing the point, that your bourgeois feminist new arrangement is targeted at top bourgeois women, equality but for the top brass for women as in in shareholders' council. It does nothing however for women at the bottom of the ladder, as for instance ones doomed to dead-end jobs like cashiers and soon to be out of a job with automation. Far from it actually, it simply perpetuates an ever increasing inequality gap using the diversion called neo-feminism, and dividing people even more in the process.

And let us not speak of the foreign non-European proletarian or even lumpen-proletarian women who have a real patriarchy to contend with.

If these new titles create so much masculine anxiety, try to

Masculine anxiety? Is that the new lingo/Newspeak for pointing out in a satirical manner of all the contradictions, shortcuts and ignorance of the Identity Politics flavour of the day?
Try what?

PS: fixed messy quotes both mine and Oexmelin's.

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 30, 2020, 03:05:11 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on January 29, 2020, 06:11:55 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 29, 2020, 05:19:30 PM
:secret:

I know. This is simply one of the supposed crucial moment for the development of "French" - and other romance languages, i.e., a moment when they drop the third gender.

Romanian never dropped it. As for French and other Romance languages given the turmoil, it would hard to say a somewhat precise time. French kept 2 cases till the late middle ages. Remnants of neutral exist.
Not to mention, Frankish was still spoken in Île-de-France till the 9th century roughly.

QuoteCouturier means also male seamstress, nice try.

QuoteApparently, you haven't learned the meaning of "connotes".

You are the one with problems with meanings.
Connotations are subjective as perceptions, varying from speaker, hardly authoritative, hardly omnipotent.
Newspeak to make people think and speak the way you believe is right is not desirable. Not all problems can be solved by twisting the language.

QuoteYour so-called positions of power theory does not explain female titles for men such as estafette or sentinelle but that's what happens with feminist cherry-picking, and uninspired one.

QuoteHow permanent were these positions of vast masculine power that estafette and sentinelle evoke?

Hey, sentinelle is my usual position at football!  :blurgh: Sentinelle as Defender has both very positive denotation and connotation.
As for estafette, you do know its meaning, right? Mostly military masculine position.
But then, even lousy jobs for proletarian men only, specially by immigrants for some reason, will somehow qualify as permanent vast masculine positions of power.

QuoteI guess you have not seen ads for secrétaire in a long time in your academical ivory tower.  :lol:

QuoteAbout 30 seconds before posting, to make sure I wasn't making outdated reference. It took me about that to find a bunch of ads with "secrétaire", all conjugated in the feminine. This is, of course, in addition to all those ads written as "assistante".

It took me even less to find with masculine. I guess that if you tried you tried not very hard or cherry picked again.
Masculine is more used nowadays, with the H/F for the gender-obsessed people like you, and/or brackets.

https://candidat.pole-emploi.fr/offres/recherche?lieux=75D&motsCles=secr%C3%A9taire&offresPartenaires=true&rayon=10&tri=0
Intersting you mention Assistant, the post-bac vocational training was once precisely called Assistant (Trilingue/de direction etc.)
Now changed to a hideous BTS Support (sic) à l'action managériale (sic). I prefer the early version, i.e Assistant de Direction.

QuoteBTS Support à l'action managériale - SAM
"L'assistant(e) a une activité qui est essentiellement de nature relationnelle, organisationnelle et administrative. Sa mission s'inscrit dans un monde en mutation : décloisonnement des services, nomadisme des salariés, internationalisation des entreprises et digitalisation des activités de l'entreprise.

C'est pourquoi sa fonction d'interface, notamment dans des contextes d'urgence, induit de fortes exigences comportementales et des compétences solides dans le domaine informatique.
From the site of the École Nationale de Commerce, not a business school, but a reference post-high school institution
http://enc-bessieres.org/enc/index.php#

QuoteIf masculine as neutral outrages you as a gender theorist, try to see it as genre non marqué.

The fact that you deliberately use smirks and sarcasm every time the topic comes up doesn't make you appear less outraged. You are the one so desperately clinging to an unchanging conception of the language. And for what? What is to be gained from that position, that warrants such a stubborn rejection? The fact is, these defenses of "grammatical purity" would have a lot more weight if they came from people who otherwise acknowledged the role of history, the persistent inequality between men and women, or otherwise any of the issues raised by feminists. I am not holding my breath.

You are putting words in my mouth as again, Evergreen Oexmelin. I said earlier than proper French feminine forms are fine by me, though I won't go on a neo-feminist cyber-jihad like you to enforce them.
You are missing the point, that your bourgeois feminist new arrangement works is for top bourgeois women, including equality in the top brass for women as in in shareholders' council, does nothing for women at the bottom of the ladder, as for instance ones doomed to dead-end jobs like cashiers and soon to be out of a job with automation. Far from it, it simply perpetuates an ever increasing inequality gap using the diversion called neo-feminism, and dividing people even more in the process.

And let us not speak of the foreign non-European proletarian or even lumpen-proletarian women who have a real patriarchy to contend with.

If these new titles create so much masculine anxiety, try to

Masculine anxiety? Is that the new lingo/Newspeak for pointing out in a satirical manner of all the contradictions, shortcuts and ignorance of the Identity Politics flavour of the day?
Try what?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!