News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Objects of Veneration

Started by mongers, January 18, 2020, 07:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Which objects/things/ideas/people are the worst things to venerate in this 'world'.

Which are most worthy of veneration if you Had to choose one?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Worst ones - Money or God/Gods

Most worthwhile - Life, the laws of physics or the rule of law.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Worst: cruelty

Best: Freedom of thought/expression

The "holiest" place I have ever visited was the rotunda of the US National Archives, where I saw (through about half a mile of armored glass, to be sure) the actual United States Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.  Imperfect documents, it is true, but the closest to perfect documents mankind has yet created.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Glory be to the Laws of Motion! May the Laws of Thermodynamics be exalted in the Highest. There is no God but Physics, and Einstein is His Prophet. :worship:

Maladict

Best: freedom of thought, kindness, unselfishness, the scientific method.
worst: fear, superstition, bigotry, violence.

Josquius

Worst - gods, nations, military

Best- kindness, creativity, egalitarianism
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Turn-ons: kindness, romantic dinners, humor

Turn-offs: selfish people, transactional romance, bigotry
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 18, 2020, 07:38:18 PM
Worst: cruelty

Best: Freedom of thought/expression

The "holiest" place I have ever visited was the rotunda of the US National Archives, where I saw (through about half a mile of armored glass, to be sure) the actual United States Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.  Imperfect documents, it is true, but the closest to perfect documents mankind has yet created.

Well said

11B4V

Worst: Religion and military

Best: None
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Best: Champagne, citrus fruits, Duke Ellington
Worst: Cigars with port, Whaling (as "culture"), Illinois Nazis
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 19, 2020, 09:19:43 PM
Best: Champagne, citrus fruits, Duke Ellington
Worst: Cigars with port, Whaling (as "culture"), Illinois Nazis

Big chicks need love too.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.