Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Arts & crafts teacher tested positive yesterday so my oldest is joining us at the cottage. I'll be a Settlers of Catan master come Wednesday.  :hmm:  :showoff:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on October 24, 2020, 09:34:05 AM
Arts & crafts teacher tested positive yesterday so my oldest is joining us at the cottage. I'll be a Settlers of Catan master come Wednesday. :hmm:  :showoff:

:)

Good to hear you're taking sensible precautions, Leggy.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 24, 2020, 06:35:12 AM
Part of that is apparently due to contact tracing and testing more persons.
If you have the stat on the positiviy % of the tests, you could see if it's a real increase or simply more testing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Tomorrow morning the Spanish government will have an emergency meeting in which most surely a new state of alarm at the national level will be enacted, which will probably last until December. This will allow regions to impuse curfews and limit movement of people to a certain degree, but without a new lockout.

mongers

At this point it might be easier to list the regions and countries of the world where the virus Isn't taking off.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on October 24, 2020, 04:31:52 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 24, 2020, 06:35:12 AM
Part of that is apparently due to contact tracing and testing more persons.
If you have the stat on the positiviy % of the tests, you could see if it's a real increase or simply more testing.

10-15% tests (depending on state) are positive at the moment. Tests have increased by roughly 20% in recent weeks from what I see.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Meanwhile, some conservatives and business leaders have called for shortening the quarantine for suspected cases from 10 days to where they can end quarantine after 5 days if they test negative (it can take 7 days to show symptoms).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

10-15% positive is high and likely means that there are lots of undetected cases.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on October 25, 2020, 12:38:40 AM
10-15% positive is high and likely means that there are lots of undetected cases.

Yes, target number should be 5%
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Germany is still doing slightly better than its neighbours, but at least in Berlin, public health authorities cannot uphold the track and trace operation at full level anymore.

Sheilbh

Greece too.

The Guardian have some details of UK tests - and the map (especially whether it's on the rise or not) is starting to decline, which is positive. But early days:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/23/covid-cases-and-deaths-today-coronavirus-uk-map
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Just what is it Korea is doing that makes track and trace actually work there?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

The head of the department of Public Health in the Health and Nutritional Sciences Agency, a government body, said in an interview this morning, that face masks are useless, aerosol infection is a myth, homeopathy shouldn't be denounced, and that it's fine to keep a bit distance when you're indoors - no masks required. The lockdown in spring was unnecessary, and tougher measures aren't required now, either. Bit of a shitstorm brewing on Twitter right now; remains to be seen if he's retired early ...
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on October 25, 2020, 03:40:20 AM
Just what is it Korea is doing that makes track and trace actually work there?
They track all mobile phones constantly, which is a pretty severe infringement of privacy. That allows them to identify contacts.

Zanza

The Czechs now hit 1000/100000 newly infected the last week, i.e. 1% of the population within a week.  Belgium is reaching that soon. Netherlands and Switzerland with 500/100000 population. Does not look good.