News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 25, 2020, 09:16:18 AM
Even so, that's still not my prime minister, but Macron's.  :P Given the latter's unpopularity, calling it "my prime Minister" is quite a stretch :P

Pfft every damn President is unpopular. It is practically a requirement.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

UK is suspending the "white list" for Spain. So if you arrive from Spain after midnight tonight you need to quarantine for 14 days.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Really sucks for those who went there under the assumption there would be no quarantine when they get back. Really hope people don't lose their jobs over it.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Ironically, most British subjects currently in Spain are probably puking on the streets of Magaluf :P, which remains mostly safe. They could have safely excluded the archipelagos from the quarantine.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2020, 01:14:56 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 25, 2020, 09:16:18 AM
Even so, that's still not my prime minister, but Macron's.  :P Given the latter's unpopularity, calling it "my prime Minister" is quite a stretch :P

Pfft every damn President is unpopular. It is practically a requirement.

Specially the recent ones.
Yet Macron beat the record of Flanby, that has to count for something.  :P

Sheilbh

:lol: Ironically the Transport Secretary who helped devise the white list policy is on holiday in Spain and will have to quarantine on his return.

Weirdly the government is advising against all but essential travel to mainland Spain (the islands are excluded) but all of Spain is covered by the requirement to quarantine :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 25, 2020, 05:02:46 PM
It's just the French way to hate their leader at least in the last 30 years - this happened with Chirac, Sarko, Hollande.

Who was the last President who had broad levels of approval through their presidency? :P

(We have it here too - there's only been two times in the past decade when a government had a positive approval rating :lol:)
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 25, 2020, 05:08:41 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 25, 2020, 05:02:46 PM
It's just the French way to hate their leader at least in the last 30 years - this happened with Chirac, Sarko, Hollande.

Who was the last President who had broad levels of approval through their presidency? :P

(We have it here too - there's only been two times in the past decade when a government had a positive approval rating :lol:)

Chirac had very good  and very bad levels of approval, depending on the period.
Say summer 1998 and 2000 (guess why  :P) or in 2003 during the whole Iraq mess.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 26, 2020, 05:16:31 AM
Sure, I'm not saying he was never popular - but I swear I remember articles about Chirac's approval rating hitting record lows etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2020, 07:05:43 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 26, 2020, 05:16:31 AM
Sure, I'm not saying he was never popular - but I swear I remember articles about Chirac's approval rating hitting record lows etc.

Record lows beaten after by Flanby and Zupiter.  :P
Pretty damning since Chirac was not that great to begin with.

Threviel

What's the problem with Jupiter by the way? From what little I know he seems like the most sensible French politician since Henri IV.

Maladict

Quote from: Threviel on July 26, 2020, 09:07:32 AM
What's the problem with Jupiter by the way? From what little I know he seems like the most sensible French politician since Henri IV.

Sensible seems to have gone out of fashion.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on July 26, 2020, 09:33:42 AM
Quote from: Threviel on July 26, 2020, 09:07:32 AM

Sensible seems to have gone out of fashion.

Henri IV?  :lmfao: Well, you did say from "what little I know.  :lol:
Sensible is not a feature associated to Macron to begin with. Much less his "government".
OTOH, Out of touch, elitist, prone to both old-fashioned French (bourgeois granny-style) and franglais (trying to sound cool I guess), regular gaffes, multiculturalist as going on record there is not a French culture, in French of course.
The part where he rebranded most of the centrist PS plus some centre-right turncoats can be seen as clever politicking obviously. Add to that some old PS tricks such as using the RN to get elected and weaken the right and voilà!
Media were pretty in his favor during the campaign and in the beginning and he got lucky with Fillon's problems.

He is a free-marketer, so that could be seen as a bonus for some, but then so is Mijair.

PS: he did lose his lisp in French eventually though.