Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 06, 2020, 02:48:47 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on July 06, 2020, 02:40:39 PM
I'm not outraged anymore. Too many people that just don't give a damn.

I'm am surprised that you are one of them, Yi. You are normally the biggest fan of moral responsibility around here.

How does saying I can't handle a mask for more than 3 minutes mean I am shirking moral responsibility?  I work from home.  I wear a mask when I go to shops and restaurants.  I wear a mask for the McDonald's drive through window.

That's good then. What do you mean by can't handle then?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on July 06, 2020, 05:10:20 PM

What do you mean by whiny bitch?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on July 06, 2020, 03:28:09 AM
I wonder how different the mask thing would be if it was winter. I could certainly see myself covering my face more than I do in cold weather.
In sticky hot 20+ degrees the mask does feel a big inconvenience
you could wear a visor when you're in public though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2020, 10:33:36 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 06, 2020, 03:28:09 AM
I wonder how different the mask thing would be if it was winter. I could certainly see myself covering my face more than I do in cold weather.
In sticky hot 20+ degrees the mask does feel a big inconvenience

20+? Poor baby! . its the mid to high 30's here with humidity. it's just a damn mask
some us have legitimate problems with masks, I mean, non-political frivolous issues, like a real difficulty to breath.   :glare:
We all do our best.  No wearing as mask isn't always a political statement, you know.  I keep my distances at all times and avoid speaking when not strictly necessary.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 06, 2020, 01:07:33 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 06, 2020, 12:59:19 PM
<_<

I worked 12 hours yesterday with a mask and visor on. How did you guys ever win a war?

Man, there sure are a lot of things that make you angry.
that's his French roots.  You can get the guy out of France, but not France out of him :P

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on July 02, 2020, 04:11:54 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 02, 2020, 07:43:52 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2020, 04:41:25 PM

Georgia just published its hospitalization numbers, and they are up over 7% from the day before.

Basically the all time high was 1,500, we fell to about half that, and now we are skyrocketing back up--will probably set an all time high tomorrow--today was 1,459. Hoping those admission standards are really lax these days...

And yesterday hospitalizations were up 8% from the day before. We sailed through the all time high and are at 1,570.

To the stratosphere!

The governor is warning us that if we don't get our act together we may lose college football this year.

Up another 5% to 1,649. Every day a new record. 4th of July fireworks may be extra special this year with our healthcare system simultaneously exploding.

In all seriousness, we still have excess capacity. We should be okay on the 4th.

Georgia took reporting hospitalizations off for the 4th weekend (  :lol: ), but we are back reporting and are now at 1,962. 19% up from the last reported date 4 days ago (which was already at a record level).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Not looking good for herd immunity:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53315983

QuoteA Spanish study has cast doubt on the prospect of herd immunity as a way of tackling the coronavirus pandemic.

The study of more than 60,000 people estimates that around just 5% of the Spanish population has developed antibodies, the medical journal the Lancet reported.

Herd immunity is achieved when enough people become infected with a virus to stop its spread.

Around 70% to 90% of a population needs to be immune to protect the uninfected.

The prevalence of Covid-19 antibodies was below 3% in coastal regions, but higher in areas of Spain with widespread outbreaks, the report said.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2020, 07:34:31 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 02, 2020, 04:11:54 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 02, 2020, 07:43:52 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2020, 04:41:25 PM

Georgia just published its hospitalization numbers, and they are up over 7% from the day before.

Basically the all time high was 1,500, we fell to about half that, and now we are skyrocketing back up--will probably set an all time high tomorrow--today was 1,459. Hoping those admission standards are really lax these days...

And yesterday hospitalizations were up 8% from the day before. We sailed through the all time high and are at 1,570.

To the stratosphere!

The governor is warning us that if we don't get our act together we may lose college football this year.

Up another 5% to 1,649. Every day a new record. 4th of July fireworks may be extra special this year with our healthcare system simultaneously exploding.

In all seriousness, we still have excess capacity. We should be okay on the 4th.

Georgia took reporting hospitalizations off for the 4th weekend (  :lol: ), but we are back reporting and are now at 1,962. 19% up from the last reported date 4 days ago (which was already at a record level).
how are the hospitals coping?  Is there a lot of ICUs left available?

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2020, 07:46:04 PM

Georgia reports 1,862 of 2,812 ventilators are available, with 642 of 2,863 critical care beds available, and 3,987 of 15,097 of general inpatient beds.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 06, 2020, 06:36:29 PM

I mean people bitching in a whiny way about a very minor inconvenience, while essential workers (usually) have to wear them for their whole shifts.

I'm also unaware of ANY medical conditions (looking at you viper) where you can't wear a mask.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2020, 08:06:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2020, 07:46:04 PM

Georgia reports 1,862 of 2,812 ventilators are available, with 642 of 2,863 critical care beds available, and 3,987 of 15,097 of general inpatient beds.
That's worrying though.  20% critical care beds left isn't that much with such an high rate of contagion.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on July 06, 2020, 08:10:34 PM

I mean people bitching in a whiny way about a very minor inconvenience, while essential workers (usually) have to wear them for their whole shifts.
You are working in the A/C all day long.  Not climbing stairs, running, walking by 35 C, etc.

I'm also unaware of ANY medical conditions (looking at you viper) where you can't wear a mask.
ashtma or any pulmonary disease make it hard to wear this while making any physical effort.  I already have trouble breathing when it's too hot out there, without a mask.  I anticipate it will be worst.
I posted a scientific article about this a while ago.

Also, it's really hard to have hearing devices and fit the mask's elastic with it.  They always become entangled.

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2020, 08:48:04 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 06, 2020, 08:10:34 PM

You are working in the A/C all day long.  Not climbing stairs, running, walking by 35 C, etc.

ashtma or any pulmonary disease make it hard to wear this while making any physical effort.  I already have trouble breathing when it's too hot out there, without a mask.  I anticipate it will be worst.
I posted a scientific article about this a while ago.

Also, it's really hard to have hearing devices and fit the mask's elastic with it.  They always become entangled.

People are literally running marathons with masks on...