News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on May 16, 2020, 11:55:32 AM
Plus every two-bit federal agency having its own police force... "This is the postal police, you're under arrest!"

If you're black all police are postal.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Plus every two-bit federal agency having its own police force... "This is the postal police, you're under arrest!"

I always love that for whatever crazy historical reason the railroads have their own police forces in Canada.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Yeah I mean I find the European police + gendarmes a bit weird (still don't fully understand if they do different jobs :blush:).

Although the most overpoliced place I've been is Mexico - I swear every city had 3-4 different police forces :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on May 16, 2020, 12:06:50 PM

I always love that for whatever crazy historical reason the railroads have their own police forces in Canada.
Yeah - we still have the British Transport Police that police railways and light railways (including the Tube) which are descendants of I think when every railway company had their own private police force.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

When in Rome I always enjoy watching the police forces. Hierarchy appears to be based on the snazzitude of the uniform.

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 16, 2020, 12:08:54 PM
Although the most overpoliced place I've been is Mexico

Yup. Their problem in a nutshell.

Admiral Yi

ATF, FBI, Secret Service, Transit Police, Capital Hill Police, DEA, State troopers, Park Police, Game Wardens, county sheriffs, municipal police, base cops (shout out to Before).  Lots of different police forces here.

The Brain

In Sweden we have... the Police. We suck. :weep:

Threviel

alfred russel

A dude I knew died in an accident in North Carolina on federal land...I was looking up who was involved in the response. The county posted the summary, as you would expect all serious pronouncements, on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/BurkeCountyNC/photos/a.2109871152570323/2842795352611229/?type=3

The point here:

QuoteRescuers from Burke County Rescue Squad, Burke County Emergency Medical Service, Burke County Emergency Management, Burke County REACT, Lake James Fire Rescue, Chesterfield Fire Rescue, South Mountain Fire Rescue, Oak Hill Fire Rescue, Glen Alpine Fire Department, Avery County Rescue Squad, Parkway Fire Rescue, North Carolina Emergency Management, North Carolina National Guard, North Carolina Helo Aquatic Rescue Team, US Forest Service utilized equipment and manpower to extricate the victim.

Look at all the entities that responded. It is how you know we are awesome.

Btw, from what I understand any response beyond body recovery was basically pointless because he never had a pulse detected after the fall.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Yeah I mean I find the European police + gendarmes a bit weird (still don't fully understand if they do different jobs :blush:).

Although the most overpoliced place I've been is Mexico - I swear every city had 3-4 different police forces :lol:

Here the Gendarmerie (Guardia Civil) works as a rural police, while the regular police is a city police.

Duque de Bragança

They do mostly the same jobs in France and other countries, but in different places in theory. Gendarmes are primary for the countryside and small towns, National Police forces for cities. Gendarme forces are often sent to the cities as reinforcements though. This is sometimes blurry  in peri-urban zones.
Interior minister controls police forces, Gendarmes are part of the Armed Forces.

Gendarmes have their SWAT-like unit, GIGN and the police their own, called RAID. There are also local city police (police municipale), not necessarily in all cities, and not always armed with handguns, though this tends to be the rule now. Anti-riot police units are called CRS (compagnies républicaines de sécurité) but gendarmes have their own (gendarmes mobiles).
So there is a Border police, anti-gang, P.J (judicial police), a train police made of two entities actually, one depending of the SNCF, the other from Police Nationale.

Portugal has a comparable organisation with Gendarmes being the Guarda Nacional Republican and police with the Polícia de Segurança Pública.
PS: unlike most dubbed police shows due to lip sync and/or ignorance, only a commissioned officer is an officier in the French sense. Always hilarious for to hear or read "je suis officier de police" for your average rank and file cop.

Zoupa

Quote from: celedhring on May 16, 2020, 12:53:52 PM

Here the Gendarmerie (Guardia Civil) works as a rural police, while the regular police is a city police.

Pretty much the same in France.

Sheilbh

Interesting. Is it the same in Italy? Just because that's the country in Europe where I'm always most surprised and dazzled by the variety of uniforms :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Italy has the Guardia di Finanza, for customs and financial operations, part of the Armed Forces but answering to the Economy minister.  :P

Guarda Fiscal in Portugal was similar but was extinct when it joined the Guarda Nacional Republica (Portuguese gendarmes).