News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2020, 07:49:46 AM
True, the conditions at the time were far better than today especially for the UK, nonetheless I'm hopeful the recession isn't as bad as some fear.

46-47 was better conditions for the UK? :unsure:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2020, 10:04:44 AM
True, the conditions at the time were far better than today especially for the UK, nonetheless I'm hopeful the recession isn't as bad as some fear.

Sure, we were able to devalue by 40% v $, already had food rationing in place and the recession was confined to northern Europe not the ROTW

Threviel

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 08, 2020, 09:54:14 AM
Sweden's death number is really grim. Why is the government there letting you all die?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Yesterdays numbers, but still. Double that of Denmark, half that of the Netherlands. One sixth of Spain. About half of Switzerlands, that was lauded above.

So yeah, not looking good, but grim?

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on April 08, 2020, 10:31:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2020, 10:04:44 AM

Sure, we were able to devalue by 40% v $, already had food rationing in place and the recession was confined to northern Europe not the ROTW
Also you had post-war Britain as one of the world's few industrial powers and a newly open again post-war world ready to exploit.
That we then went and made a complete pigs ear of the 50s of course is neither here nor there.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

IDK Tyr from what little I read of post-WW2 Britain they had it really rough throughout most of the 50s.

And they were most definitely not gaining a new grasp of the world, rather the exact opposite.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on April 08, 2020, 10:43:03 AM
IDK Tyr from what little I read of post-WW2 Britain they had it really rough throughout most of the 50s.

And they were most definitely not gaining a new grasp of the world, rather the exact opposite.
Because as said the post-Attlee government fucked up majorly, prioritising trying to hold onto the empire and remain a great power over the well being of the people and the future of the economy. Even where governments from both parties tried to actually improve the economy some truly rubbish decisions were made.

The conditions of the post war world were really very favorable for the UK compared to those of today however.
██████
██████
██████

Fate

Pretty bleak mortality data for Hispanics and blacks in NYC. Hard to say how much this is related to purely race itself versus higher incidence of underlying comorbid conditions like type 2 diabetes, hypertension, obesity which correlated with poverty levels.

Gups

Britain's  decline post-war relative to West Germany, France and Italy used to be the subject of much frenzied academic debate.  Was it the unions, a lazy unproductive workforce and the welfare state or terrible corporate management and overspending on defence (including a nuclear bomb) or too slow or too fast decolonisation? As always, the explanation was a reflection of the political views and was usually unipolar. Fortunately that boring debate has ended though nobody has yet found a good explanation for our poor productivity performance, going on for at least 70 years now.

celedhring

The HR/VP has disclosed EU efforts helping foreign nations deal with the virus, and has just revealed that Belarus is asking the EU for help... fancy another run at 2014?

Sheilbh

UK numbers have 938 deaths (rate is roughly the same at 15%), but a record high :(

Really hope the projections are right and we will hit the peak, presumably in the next 6-9 days now. Government slide pack now includes intensive care numbers:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/878711/COVID-19_Press_Conference_Slides_-_08_04_2020.pdf

And hospital admissions and intensive care admissions look like they're starting to flatten? I think?
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I think we are in for some bad figures; that dithering over the lockdown (I say this with hindsight) was a bad mistake.

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2020, 10:52:16 AM

Because as said the post-Attlee government fucked up majorly, prioritising trying to hold onto the empire and remain a great power over the well being of the people and the future of the economy. Even where governments from both parties tried to actually improve the economy some truly rubbish decisions were made.

The conditions of the post war world were really very favorable for the UK compared to those of today however.

I don't know by 48 we'd left India, Pakistan and Palestine. Also we'd given up on Turkey and Greece, handing them over to the Americans.
The rest of the empire wasn't costing much in military effort, saving the start of the Malaysian emergency. The 1950s saw a continuation of retreat from empire where possible, Ghana etc, the process only blighted by Suez and Kenya.
And in the 60s he successful completion of the end of empire and the retreat from East of suez.

Compare that the two major post-war disasters the French engage in, plus their share of Suez.
They also went for the A-bomb like we did, at the time I think it was a rational choice given the Americans weren't fully welding into guaranteeing Western Europe yet.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 08, 2020, 11:27:19 AM
I think we are in for some bad figures; that dithering over the lockdown (I say this with hindsight) was a bad mistake.

Yes I think you're right.

And it's odd as now people have been told that they must do, I think the vast majority of people are both staying in and social distancing. I think many are seeing it as a positive thing they can do, playing their part and saving health resources.

Just a lack of decisive leadership from the govt. on several occasions that each cost a handful of days grace.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Threviel on April 08, 2020, 10:41:10 AM
Sweden's death number is really grim. Why is the government there letting you all die?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Yesterdays numbers, but still. Double that of Denmark, half that of the Netherlands. One sixth of Spain. About half of Switzerlands, that was lauded above.

Yes, there's only 10 million of you. Your curve is almost vertical now. Next weeks will be very bad.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 08, 2020, 12:00:12 PM
Quote from: Threviel on April 08, 2020, 10:41:10 AM

Yes, there's only 10 million of you. Your curve is almost vertical now. Next weeks will be very bad.

How is "only 10 million" a factor in deaths per million?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.