News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2020, 06:41:15 PM
Weirdly, I come out okay for in these circumstances.  I'm already on Medicaid, I get a social security disability check and If I choose to I can live in an apartment complex for the disabled.  It's not a good apartment, there is significant crime there, but I won't sleep under a bridge.

Good to know Raz.

Plus you can look out onto the streets to sea some of the less fortunate cardboard dwelling Languishites. :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on March 23, 2020, 06:48:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2020, 06:41:15 PM
Weirdly, I come out okay for in these circumstances.  I'm already on Medicaid, I get a social security disability check and If I choose to I can live in an apartment complex for the disabled.  It's not a good apartment, there is significant crime there, but I won't sleep under a bridge.

Good to know Raz.

Plus you can look out onto the streets to sea some of the less fortunate cardboard dwelling Languishites. :D

None of us are so fortunate as to live in Jefferson City.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fromtia

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on March 23, 2020, 07:20:48 PM
Your boy has other ideas Yi.

His interpretation of the Constitution has at times been suspect.

I don't know for a fact that the president doesn't have the authority to reopen boozers and nail salons, but that would be consistent with the fact it was governors and not the president that ordered them shut in the first place.

I think a more serious possibility is the Orange One demands everything open and retard governors in retard states comply.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2020, 07:29:07 PM
Quote from: fromtia on March 23, 2020, 07:20:48 PM
Your boy has other ideas Yi.

I don't know for a fact that the president doesn't have the authority to reopen boozers and nail salons, but that would be consistent with the fact it was governors and not the president that ordered them shut in the first place.

I think a more serious possibility is the Orange One demands everything open and retard governors in retard states comply.
And I hate to be entirely cold-blooded on this. But in addition to that, if social distancing becomes another part of American culture wars and partisan signalling, and his voters tend to be older - wouldn't this disproportionately affect his supporters? :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

fromtia

Its not a good development I don't think. I mean, in economic terms I'm staring into the abyss here, but I still think this is the right course of action. I think trying to get people back to work in another week would be a really terrible idea.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 07:32:21 PM
And I hate to be entirely cold-blooded on this. But in addition to that, if social distancing becomes another part of American culture wars and partisan signalling, and his voters tend to be older - wouldn't this disproportionately affect his supporters? :blink:

That's the delightfully Darwin Awardesque aspect of the situation.

fromtia

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 07:32:21 PM

Its super bizarre that the national consensus that was starting to form (albeit not the national allocation of resource and strategy) is looking like it's going to unravel, driven by the Whitehouse and Fox News. The Republicans will march in lockstep (not the two moderates left, Romney and er...maybe Bill Kristol?). Its not a given that this is going down, but it just looks almost incomprehensibly deranged. Hard to find the words really.

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on March 23, 2020, 07:33:03 PM

Its not a good development I don't think. I mean, in economic terms I'm staring into the abyss here, but I still think this is the right course of action. I think trying to get people back to work in another week would be a really terrible idea.

Yeah Formtia, I'm with you on this, I'll take penuary for a while it it works over the next 1-6 months.

Legbiter

Quote from: fromtia on March 23, 2020, 07:33:03 PMIts not a good development I don't think. I mean, in economic terms I'm staring into the abyss here, but I still think this is the right course of action. I think trying to get people back to work in another week would be a really terrible idea.

Here I'd say people can do a 1 month lockdown, no problem. 2+ months though...the thought process become "I'm going to work, you keep Granny locked up, mkay".
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on March 23, 2020, 03:58:37 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 23, 2020, 02:09:46 PM
Ontario to announce enforced shutdown of non-essential businesses as of midnight tomorrow

But they're super vague about what is and isn't essential

they will announce tomorrow. Looks like media will be essential, so I'm still working-because you know we all need The Canadian Jewish News :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Also needed are  creative methods to tackle the crisis, but this is still grim:

Madrid to use ice rink as morgue for coronavirus victims

A Madrid ice rink is to be used as a makeshift morgue for coronavirus victims, as the number of cases in the capital rose to 10,575 and 1,263 deaths, city authorities said on Monday.

:(

Source: Reuters.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2020, 06:20:52 PM
So far that hasn't been Trump's call to make, but the various governors.
if Trump says "it's fine, you can go out and support the economy now", do you really think everyone will listen to their governor?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on March 23, 2020, 09:22:35 PM
if Trump says "it's fine, you can go out and support the economy now", do you really think everyone will listen to their governor?

Though I don't know for sure, I assume these state closure orders have the force of law.