News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2020, 06:41:27 PM
Incidentally asked my researcher friend for his view. He said he'd expect to see a few stories about it, it's worrying because those scientists are very legit and he's wondering if he should go ahead with his house purchase now :mellow: :ph34r:

Why not? :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 17, 2020, 04:16:25 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2020, 06:41:27 PM
Incidentally asked my researcher friend for his view. He said he'd expect to see a few stories about it, it's worrying because those scientists are very legit and he's wondering if he should go ahead with his house purchase now :mellow: :ph34r:

Why not? :unsure:

A recession is pretty much guaranteed, tens if not hundreds of thousands will go on the dole, a LOT of elderly will be literally dying out of their homes, and the base interest rate can't really be reduced more.

Property prices are bound to fall. Don't buy one now.

celedhring

One of my closest friends had just bought a flat, and was counting on selling his old one since his savings had been reduced to zero. Given that he - like me - right now has no job he's probably fucked.

To be honest I know of many people that were living paycheck to paycheck that right now are majorly screwed. 2008 is going to be child's play compared to this one.

Iormlund

Yeah, I was thinking of buying as well, but fuck me. I don't know if I'll have a job. I'm guessing buying a new car isn't in many people's minds right now.

celedhring

Hopefully people will go through all of Netflix's library while quarantined and I'll have a job when this ends... All TV/film production has completely stopped though.

Josquius

I'm right at the end of the house buying process. Was expecting my completion date soon.
Checking historic house prices for the area o don't see much room for it to drop massively, 4 or 5 years worth of rent at the absolute most.
Still. Sucks. Would lose a fair bit to turn around now and not in a great living situation at the moment though.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

First impressions of travel today.

Local bus was as crowded (or more crowded) than I expected. There seemed to be more people in town as well, suggesting people are shopping earlier or otherwise staggering trips.

Train north had only a quarter to a third as many people waiting for it as the last few weeks; this was reflected in the number of empty seats on the train itself.

There was a train to London due a minute after my own. There was one person waiting for it. Looks like all travel to London for pleasure has basically stopped assuming what I saw was an accurate reflection of the situation despite being only one datapoint (I asked at the ticket Office how quiet it had been; they laughed.)

Will have to see what my second train is like (that comes direct from London, no stops before Leicester.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

celedhring

Best "quarantined at the worst possible moment" story I have is this friend of mine that was getting separated and was supposed to move out this week, but now he can't...

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2020, 05:14:41 AM
Best "quarantined at the worst possible moment" story I have is this friend of mine that was getting separated and was supposed to move out this week, but now he can't...

Oh man that sucks. Although, who knows what might happen.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on March 17, 2020, 05:18:23 AM

The spectrum of possibilities is very broad.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 17, 2020, 05:09:50 AM
I'm right at the end of the house buying process. Was expecting my completion date soon.
Checking historic house prices for the area o don't see much room for it to drop massively, 4 or 5 years worth of rent at the absolute most.
Still. Sucks. Would lose a fair bit to turn around now and not in a great living situation at the moment though.

Well yeah, they are very unlikely to collapse but they will go down for sure. Still in your situation there's no point in cancelling. At least you'll have a place.

Plus, who knows. Properties may remain one of the safe investments, so money pouring into them can keep their price up.

Duque de Bragança

Lockdown in France starts at 12.00 CET (GMT +1)

If you need to go out, time to fill a derogation (downloadable) to be presented by the police if it asks it. Failing that, fine from 38 and soon 150 €.
According to the Interior minister, that's one per day or per time you leave home.  :hmm:
I'll print them on both sides, to save paper I guess.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2020, 05:22:31 AM
Quote from: Maladict on March 17, 2020, 05:18:23 AM

The spectrum of possibilities is very broad.

They either reconcile or kill each other. And I can tell you they won't reconcile  :P

Threviel

Josquius

I smell a screenplay.
██████
██████
██████