Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2020, 10:53:50 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 20, 2020, 08:59:43 PM
There are no healthy obese people, DG.

:rolleyes:

Obesity is a medical condition. There's a direct correlation with life expectancy.

Eddie Teach

I'd guess the extra weight causes issues even if the person has good strength and cardio.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Nice shouting match in the bus this morning with only 4 (!) people, excluding the chauffeur.
5 windows opened in a chilly morning (6-8°C). I start closing the ones closest to me and a broad starts complaining. Went through quickly to the fever argument (got fever? Get tested!). With one another useless in the back "we already have problems let us not create more". Exactly, no need to get a cold right now!
After the feverish broad left, the one who had remained silent recognized I was right by saying the other must have been feverish or crazy.

Rules are pretty clear in this aspect in Parisian buses, or used to be, whenever there is a argument about closing or opening windows, the one who wants them closed has priority.

Syt

The Vienna police squad cars have been instructed to put radio Ö3 on the speakers at 6 pm every day, because the station plays Rainhard's Fendrich I Am From Austria, which is pretty much the inofficial anthem of Austria (and I'd think more people know the lyrics of it). :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_8DB7zsD4
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 21, 2020, 03:04:15 AM
I've been assuming that Germany is simply managing to catch a higher proportion of people with moderate symptoms. So the UK has fewer cases than Germany but more deaths? I don't think so, it is more that we have an insufficient testing rollout and thus underestimate the prevalence of the virus.
I read that Germany is reaching test capacity now so once they stop being able to test a high proportion of suspected cases and concentrate on the more severe ones, the perceived lethality rate here will also go up even if that's just a statistical fluke. 

FunkMonk

Safely back in the US after departing India. India is banning all international travel starting the 22nd so we left just in time.  :)

Now what is this about a rampant and uncontrollable plague that is destroying the fabric of American society that I'm suddenly hearing about?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Agelastus

More boring impressions on the travel front.

Got into town early enough to risk getting a Mother's Day card; lots of people around, very few of them trying to zigzag to keep distances open. Friends obviously seeing each other and stopping to chat at normal distances. Not very encouraging.

At the station all of the few travellers trying to keep their distance from each other in the booking hall and on the platforms and when boarding the train. Much more encouraging.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

celedhring

1326 dead (+32%), and a staggering +41% increase of UCI patients (1,600).  :(

Iormlund

Even Madagascar has cases now. We're fucked.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 21, 2020, 03:04:15 AM
I've been assuming that Germany is simply managing to catch a higher proportion of people with moderate symptoms. So the UK has fewer cases than Germany but more deaths? I don't think so, it is more that we have an insufficient testing rollout and thus underestimate the prevalence of the virus.
I think Germany also - like the Netherlands and South Korea - had an initially quite young group of people who got it. There's minor deviations but broadly the trend for Western countries seems pretty similar (with the possible exception of the US) and, sadly, over the course of this pandemic I imagine it will all average out :(

QuoteSame here, really. Our authorities have admitted as such and are trying to roll out faster testing procedures (we have some drive-thru testing sites up and running in some areas). Labs are a big bottleneck though - I think Italy is having the same issue.
Same here - it has been ramping up but from what I understand the big testing issue is capacity. So at the minute the focus is, I believe, people in hospitals showing symptoms, care homes and prisons.

Got into town early enough to risk getting a Mother's Day card; lots of people around, very few of them trying to zigzag to keep distances open. Friends obviously seeing each other and stopping to chat at normal distances. Not very encouraging.
For fuck's sake :bleeding:

Incidentally I really liked the video (about half-way down the page) from ITV News on social distancing v social isolation:
https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-03-20/social-distancing-vs-self-isolation-the-official-guidance-on-staying-safe-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak/
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 21, 2020, 07:51:39 AM
Same here - it has been ramping up but from what I understand the big testing issue is capacity. So at the minute the focus is, I believe, people in hospitals showing symptoms, care homes and prisons.

I think most of us are beyond the point where testing potential infected is viable. Tests should be mostly reserved for the people staffing essential roles (docs, nurses, police, food chain, critical infrastructure).

Sheilbh

Maybe - care homes and prisons strike me as really important to monitor especially while our testing is limited to "do you have it now". Because an outbreak in either of those communities could really quikly escalate.

You could be right on where the focus should be. We can't test everyone who might have it. Hopefully this antibody test which is coming will be as much of a game-changer as the scientific community seem to think.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

So, to continue...

Now checked in at the hotel to set up the tablet.

I picked it up at the pickup point at a Sainsbury's local store; while there I was talking to the shop assistant and commented on how full their shelves were. She told me that the main stores were raiding them for stock. In fact, while I was there, I saw two of the green produce carry-crates taken out to a car to be taken to a larger store.

The bleeding eyes smiley is starting not to cut it any more.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Iormlund