Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Habbaku on January 31, 2020, 08:43:48 AM
Everyone posting here got their flu shot this year, right? Just checking.

I've been getting the flu shot every year since I've worked at hospitals for over twenty years. Now that I'm retired I get the shot at my doctor's office, or since I'm part time at the same company I can get the shot there too.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 01, 2020, 02:23:34 PM
Those are the only young and elderly people he would come across? :huh:

Supposedly he would stay home with a flu.

jimmy olsen

From BNO news

https://twitter.com/BNODesk

QuoteBREAKING: Epicenter of coronavirus outbreak reports 1,921 new cases and 45 new deaths, raising death toll to 304

Today will be the highest number of new cases since the outbreak began. 1,921 is only for Hubei province. The national update will be released in 1.5 hour.

Number of people in serious/critical condition in Hubei province rises to 1,562, up from 1,294 yesterday

While focus remains on Wuhan, the number of cases in nearby Huanggang has risen to 1,002 (up by 276 from yesterday). Huanggang announced earlier today that people will be banned from leaving their home, except for 1 person per family to get basic needs every other day

13,950 confirmed cases worldwide. The numbers on our virus tracker are updated throughout the day
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2020, 04:42:00 PM

Yes, because one will know exactly the moment one contracts it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2020, 01:58:08 PM
If you have a little kid or elderly family members around you then sure, but otherwise why would a young guy like Habs bother? There is an off chance he will feel shitty for a week or two, so what.

This is bad advice. I suggest you read up on herd immunity. It's how we beat polio.

Tamas

Quote from: Zoupa on February 01, 2020, 08:30:12 PM
If you have a little kid or elderly family members around you then sure, but otherwise why would a young guy like Habs bother? There is an off chance he will feel shitty for a week or two, so what.

This is bad advice. I suggest you read up on herd immunity. It's how we beat polio.

Fine, but it is voluntary even in European countries. Surely that tells about its importance and efficiency.

celedhring

I have never had it myself. Over here it is only recommended for the young/elderly and those with prior health issues that might be aggravated by the flu.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: celedhring on February 02, 2020, 03:57:04 AM
I have never had it myself. Over here it is only recommended for the young/elderly and those with prior health issues that might be aggravated by the flu.

Same and same here. Though there was a special push a few years back; for swine flu i think though I could not swear to it.

Sounds like the approach is more interventionist in North America. Does this lead to lower death rates though? Or is flu more easily spread in those places with severe winters and thus a more stringent approach is required?

Maximus

Even if it weren't bad advice, why would you choose feeling shitty for a week or two over getting a shot?

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on February 01, 2020, 06:45:33 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2020, 04:42:00 PM

Yes, because one will know exactly the moment one contracts it.

Bingo. Also can't guarantee how potent it'll be or how I'll react to getting it. Even strong, healthy people die to the flu every year. If you have the option to get a flu shot and it doesn't put you out financially, you should do so every year--unless there is some sort of shortage and you don't fall into a traditional risk group.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 02, 2020, 03:41:51 AM

Fine, but it is voluntary even in European countries. Surely that tells about its importance and efficiency.

The only thing it tells us is that the law does not permit the state (in most countries outside China) to force people not to be stupid.  But with dropping rates of people getting both flu and vaccine shots against things like the measles we need to reconsider just how much stupidity we are prepared to put up with.  The question is going to be at what point does an individuals choice not to vaccinate put others at risk.  We might be there now.

dps

The problem with getting a flu shot is that it only vaccinates against certain strains of the flu, so unless a particularly bad strain is going around that you should want to get protected against and the vaccine they're giving you is effective against that strain, the shot might not do you much good.  I've gotten my flu shot every year since 1988 (my employer from 1988 to 2002 gave all employees the option of a free flu shot, and since I was management I got mine to set a good example;  and since then I've been able to get a free shot anyway because as a diabetic I fall into a risk group), but I've still gotten the flu at some point more years than not.

KRonn

Quote from: dps on February 02, 2020, 11:24:08 AM
The problem with getting a flu shot is that it only vaccinates against certain strains of the flu, so unless a particularly bad strain is going around that you should want to get protected against and the vaccine they're giving you is effective against that strain, the shot might not do you much good.  I've gotten my flu shot every year since 1988 (my employer from 1988 to 2002 gave all employees the option of a free flu shot, and since I was management I got mine to set a good example;  and since then I've been able to get a free shot anyway because as a diabetic I fall into a risk group), but I've still gotten the flu at some point more years than not.
I've read that even though someone may get a flu bug that the shot doesn't specifically protect against, the shot could lessen the more severe affects of the illness. Not in all cases, depends on the flu virus type vs the shot. I saw that on a CDC web page.

dps

Yes, it can provide some resistance in some cases when it doesn't confer immunity.

Monoriu

Never had the flu shot before, and don't plan on getting it.  It is only partially effective.  Like it helps, but don't expect much.  There are also too many hoops to jump through to get it.  Flu shots are very popular with Mainlanders, so there are long queues at clinics.  You have to make an appointment that is weeks or months away, then you are assigned a timeslot which may or may not interfere with work, then you have to explain to the boss why you need to be away for half a day at work and look bad in front of colleagues, then you have to physically sit in the clinic to wait for your turn.  All for something that may or may not help you.  BTW these shots are only effective for a while, so by the time it is your turn to get the shot, it may not last very long anyway. 

So nah.