News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

For those who want to catch up: Cad Bane's story so far.

https://youtu.be/WVt2fLIGY9o
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2022, 04:31:06 PM
Well that was a whole lot of boring with a gun fight out of a old fashioned western.

If there is a point to the Bobba Fett series, I hope they start coming around to it.

It is clear that Boba Fett was not an important character in his own show. Feels like they really just wanted a platform to remind us of all their other existing/upcoming content.

And ugh can we get away from the first family of Star Wars? I'm going to start regretting seeing Grogu appear if his appearance always heralds such boring sequences.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I'm not a fan of tying everything into the main characters but I also liked seeing Luke trying to figure out how to teach a student.

As for Boba Fett - I think they shouldn't have put his name in the title of the show. I kinda guess what they're trying to do at this point is telling one continuous story between the series, with Mandalorian S 3 picking up where this series ends, and then Ahsoka picking up from there (or BOBF S2 if there is one).

That is also the only reason I can think of why Boba's backstory about his time between Sarlacc and killing Bib Fortuna was told in flashbacks, and not chronologically, because they want to remain anchored in the "main plot" timeline/chronology established by The Mandalorian.

That chronology then leads into the "climactic event" they hinted at, and which I expect to be a an all out fight bringing everyone together fighting Thrawn and/or liberating/uniting Mandalore.

However, if that was their plan, they should maybe have titled the various series differently or at least have clarified that it's all different chapters in an ongoing storyline from here on out and that there might be interludes catching us up on other characters and events.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2022, 06:23:16 AM
However, if that was their plan, they should maybe have titled the various series differently or at least have clarified that it's all different chapters in an ongoing storyline from here on out and that there might be interludes catching us up on other characters and events.

Yeah completely agree with this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2022, 05:56:29 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2022, 04:31:06 PM
Well that was a whole lot of boring with a gun fight out of a old fashioned western.

If there is a point to the Bobba Fett series, I hope they start coming around to it.

It is clear that Boba Fett was not an important character in his own show. Feels like they really just wanted a platform to remind us of all their other existing/upcoming content.

And ugh can we get away from the first family of Star Wars? I'm going to start regretting seeing Grogu appear if his appearance always heralds such boring sequences.

+1

Oexmelin

Boba Fett always benefitted from being seen less, and being talked about more. The aura of mystery-but-central character schtick has been taken (and well-made) with Mando. It would have been better to go along that route, and see Fett rarely, but feel his empire develop slowly but surely.

I feel the show is more poorly written than Mando. Which is weird, because I think this is very much the same team?

Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

I think the bits stand out as not being as good as the rest have been the present day ones with Boba. I thought the story of what happened to him between the events of Return of the Jedi and when we see him in The Mandalorian was clichéd but fine. And I also think the last two episodes were good. But the stuff with Boba building his crime family is the weakest, and I feel it's mostly because those parts have been disjointed due to the flashbacks and because they get little screen time. To me it's mostly a problem of structure and expectation setting.

It seems originally Jon Favreau wanted to make a Boba Fett show, but at the time there were still plans to have a movie instead. So he went and created a show about a different Mandalorian which may have been a stroke of luck in hindsight.

It does make me wonder, though  how much of early ideas for the Boba Fett movie found their way into the shows. Similar with Kenobi which was also supposed to be a movie, originally.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Over the weekend it was confirmed that Andor Season 2 would start filming in Fall. Which is apparently also around when Season 1 would air? And currently the show is planned for to run 3 seasons.

Since it's set in pre-Episode 4 times, I wonder if they will use it to add some background for Ahsoka (who's hunting for Thrawn and presumably Ezra from Rebels)? Heck, they could have Freddie Prinze Jr. reprise his role as Rebels, or include Temuera Morrison as old Rex. :lol:

Not sure what the release calendar for this year looks like, but I'm guessing: Kenobi => Andor => Mando Season 3?

Of course with the unexpected swerves of Book of Boba Fett I now wonder if Kenobi has a hand in keeping Grogu away from the Empire so that they can tie it into their expanded Clone Wars/Rebels-verse. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

As I said before the Kenobi show worries me. If they get him involved in way too much off-Tatooine shenanigans, it breaks the concept of the character and his mission to hide in Tatooine all this time, guarding Luke. But if he never leaves planet, we'll get yet another Tatooine show and it will be ridiculous.

Syt

I suppose we'll see. If he abandons his duties on Tatooine I hope they have
a) an incredibly good reason
b) he makes sure Luke is safe during his absence (though I guess a ticking clock in that regard could add tension, where he MUST return or else!)
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Or maybe we'll get a few episodes with Obi-Wan before being treated to a multi-episode arc of Djin Djarin learning to ride a speeder bike.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on February 07, 2022, 05:04:19 AM
Or maybe we'll get a few episodes with Obi-Wan before being treated to a multi-episode arc of Djin Djarin learning to ride a speeder bike.

I mean he would be a kid or teen during this, so ...
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 05, 2022, 05:52:17 PM
Boba Fett always benefitted from being seen less, and being talked about more. The aura of mystery-but-central character schtick has been taken (and well-made) with Mando. It would have been better to go along that route, and see Fett rarely, but feel his empire develop slowly but surely.

I feel the show is more poorly written than Mando. Which is weird, because I think this is very much the same team?

I agree with all of that.  And when they did decide to show him building his empire they made him look like a fool.  Maybe there is some grand plan of a redemption arc, but why destroy a perfectly good character to build him up again?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2022, 11:18:16 AM
...but why destroy a perfectly good character...

bad influence from Kennedy?

celedhring

Well, the last episode of Boba is wickedly fun. Everything that happens was telegraphed a mile away in prior episodes, but nonetheless it is effective and enjoyable. I only felt [spoiler]the droid fight dragged on too long. And why couldn't they use the trick they use in Clone Wars? Those shields were supposed to work like the Dune shields[/spoiler]

I'm really impressed by Bane's facial animations, by the way. The teeth are distracting, but the "acting" is pretty damn good and always exudes menace. I hope we get to see more live action Cad Bane in some of the other shows [spoiler]I enjoyed how with just a few lines they can convey Bane's and Boba's story together[/spoiler]

I didn't get the post-credits scene, I guess I'll have to wait until the Star Wars savants chime in.