News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Oooh, forgot: [spoiler]Beggar's Canyon![/spoiler] :w00t: (No [spoiler]threading the needle,[/spoiler] though :( )

Also, we're heading for [spoiler]Mandalorian Game of Thrones[/spoiler], aren't we? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

I think they expect people who watch one show to watch the other. I don't mind, but understand why some will.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

I'm disappointed in the lack of those New Republican pilots' respect for bureaucracy and paperwork. No wonder the Republic ended up falling to such a low level when its own military doesn't respect protocols.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on January 26, 2022, 10:19:47 PM
I'm disappointed in the lack of those New Republican pilots' respect for bureaucracy and paperwork. No wonder the Republic ended up falling to such a low level when its own military doesn't respect protocols.  :lol:
:lol:

In the books the New Republic is shown as very decentralized, with the member worlds being more autonomous again, with own security forces etc. I feel this lack of resources is also shown in the Mandalorian episode with the prison ship which is manned almost entirely with droids instead of personnel, and also with our traffic cops who seem to cover a pretty large area more or less by themselves (yes, it's the Outer Rim which is kinda like the Star Wars equivalent of the Wild West, but still).

Star Wars Explained has a good summary/review of the episode: https://youtu.be/Cc34K_FbDwU
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, ScreenCrush summarizes the Mandalorian backstory from Clone Wars/Rebels in his Episode 5 connections/easter egg video for those who haven't watched the show or need a refresher: https://youtu.be/JrjXNlbFpG4
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Didn't realize it watching, but the episode also had the most random re-appearance of an old prop:

Bryce Dallas Howard has directed three episodes in the franchise so far: in Mando S1 she did the one with the villagers and the raiders (with the "evil demonic" AT-ST), and in S2 The Heiress in which Bo Katan is re-introduced. With this episode, I think she's building a pretty good track record there.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

For some reason I recalled someone complaining about the pacifist, reformed Mandalorians we saw first in Clone Wars and looked up the quote and when it was:

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 05, 2010, 06:21:38 PM
Killing the Karen Traviss series and making Mandalore into a peace-loving, post-apocalyptic world is nigh on unforgivable though.

It's been a crazy ride for Mandalore and Mandalorians since then.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

This show is really losing me.  I got to see our fearless lead character actually manage to get past the kitchen staff and then in the next episode I had to sit though a one hour advertisement for the next season of Mando. 

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I'm 90% certain that Sedaris ad-libbed the dating line  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 29, 2022, 04:01:07 AM
I'm 90% certain that Sedaris ad-libbed the dating line  :lol:

Pretty sure she ad-libbed a lot of stuff in her scenes there. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2022, 03:42:14 PM
This show is really losing me.  I got to see our fearless lead character actually manage to get past the kitchen staff and then in the next episode I had to sit though a one hour advertisement for the next season of Mando. 

To me it just set up an even more direct comparison to show how much more fun The Mandalorian is than Boba Fett. Feels like a strange choice.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Someone raised on Twitter the question whether Bo-Katan and the Armorer know each other. Both spent time on Concordia, after all. Bo-Katan was Death Watch, the Armorer is part of the Children of the Watch.

Also, the Armorer knows a shit ton of lore. Kind of makes you wonder if it's someone we know from other shows. People point to the spikes on her helmet and that the Mandalorians who were part of Maul's Shadow Collective had similar spikes in his honor. That would make Rook Kast a prime candidate; she was the leader of the Super Commandos of the Shadow Collective and rescued Maul from imprisonment. (Her helmet had no spikes, though.) I guess she could have gone full on fundamentalist after the end of the Shadow Collective.

Otherwise not many Mandalorian females left. There's Clan Wren, of course. But I doubt the armorer is Sabine, but she had no affiliation to Death Watch, and we saw her at the end of Rebels, after ROTJ, leaving to search for Ezra together with Ahsoka, so the timelines don't add up, either. Could be Sabine's Mom, but ... eh.

Also, looking up the Mandalorian clans on Wookieepedia, it turns out that the father of Satine and Bo-Katan Kryze was Adonai. So I suppose Bo-Katan is literally descended from God. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

So, I just realized that the twi'lek cantina owner is played by Jennifer Beals. This blew my mind.

Damn does she still look hot at her age.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 30, 2022, 03:39:47 AM
So, I just realized that the twi'lek cantina owner is played by Jennifer Beals. This blew my mind.

Damn does she still look hot at her age.

Also ties us back in with the talk of water. :P

—Stephen Jay Gould