News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

So far we've got creepy deaged Leia, Tarkin and Luke. We're only missing Han and Lando.

And I wonder if the Kenobi show will eventually feature zombie Alec Guiness.

The Larch

The Kenobi show certainly has the potential to bring back the more interesting characters. When will it premiere? Is it meant to be this year?

Syt

SWE has some thoughts about Boba being weak on the show as some people complain: https://youtu.be/XbAhEfEH6zI

He points out he seems weaker in the present day bits, and seems pretty much on top of his game in the flashbacks with the Tuskens. He also adds a few thoughts and some speculation why that might be.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I've been wondering why he spends so much time inside the bacta tank - besides it being an excuse to launch the flashbacks.

crazy canuck

So Dances with Wolves on acid crossed with Lawrence of Arabia - I like it

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2022, 11:56:19 AM
So Dances with Wolves on acid crossed with Lawrence of Arabia - I like it

And The Godfather.

celedhring

Now, that was a packed episode. Can't wait for Boba [spoiler]the Rancor raider[/spoiler] - we also got the inevitable Danny Trejo role.

The present part seems to finally be coming into focus, although it's weird that the [spoiler]Hutts are seemingly out of the picture just one episode after bringing them in.[/spoiler]

Now [spoiler]that Krssntan owes him a favor[/spoiler] I'm kinda expecting Fett will go all "avengers assemble" and bring in his bounty hunter pals (Bossk, Bane, etc...) for the final bout of the show.

I found it weird that the biker gang went all Power Rangers with their colored bikes.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 10, 2022, 04:57:41 AM
The Kenobi show certainly has the potential to bring back the more interesting characters. When will it premiere? Is it meant to be this year?

I'm of two minds about it. McGregor as Obi Wan was one of the few things I liked from the prequel trilogy, but what kind of stories are they going to tell with this show? He's supposed to have spent all this time in hiding in Tatooine guarding Luke, another "Adventures in Tatooine" show would be a bit too much. And if they take him off-planet it will kinda annoy me.

The fact they cast Christensen makes me think they might flash back to the Clone Wars era, though. Plus I'm sure there'll be plenty of Force mysticism (and the Force episodes in Clone Wars were among my favorites of the show).

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on January 12, 2022, 12:04:43 PM
The fact they cast Christensen makes me think they might flash back to the Clone Wars era, though. Plus I'm sure there'll be plenty of Force mysticism (and the Force episodes in Clone Wars were among my favorites of the show).

I am hoping for this.

Syt

Good episode. When I saw the title card I immediately thought[spoiler] "Streets of San Francisco," and what do you know? We get an old school car chase with all the tropes, even with the speeder made to look more like a 70s car.[/spoiler] :lol:

As expected, [spoiler]the tribe gets massacred. And the Pykes are emerging as the main antagonists, at least for now. I agree it's odd to have the Hutts come in and immediately leave. I hope there's more to it than appears. And I kind of expect the Rancor and/or Danny Trejo to be a trap the Hutts leave behind in some way. After last week's episode people were thinking the little critter the Hutt uses to dab his sweat would be Hoojib, from the old Marvel comics in the 80s. They look very similar, especially with the little antenna on their head, but their ears seem a bit small. That said, in the comics they were a sentient, intelligent species, which kinda makes this worse.[/spoiler] :lol:

The [spoiler]fight with Krrsantan was pretty cool and as vicious as it should be. And Boba keeps building his own tribe, incidentally doubling every time he does. He starts alone. Gets Fennec (2), then the Gamorreans (4) and now the bikers (8). I loved their bikes, reminds me of 80s fair ground rides with their colors. [/spoiler]They add a welcome dash of color to Tatooine, too. :P

I was not wild about [spoiler]the car chase. It felt weirdly slow, and I felt they overdid it on the tropes there[/spoiler].

Kind of curious where they'll take this. Also, they kept mentioning that Tatooine [spoiler]used to have water. Kinda wondering if that's some foreshadowing of some major changes coming for the planet?[/spoiler] :o
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on January 12, 2022, 12:04:43 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 10, 2022, 04:57:41 AM

I'm of two minds about it. McGregor as Obi Wan was one of the few things I liked from the prequel trilogy, but what kind of stories are they going to tell with this show? He's supposed to have spent all this time in hiding in Tatooine guarding Luke,

He took some time off that assignment to duel Darth Maul.  It took about 5 seconds.  So they're gonna extend that into a full season.  Second season will be about his meeting with Quinlan Vos, when he discovers that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker and meets Obi Wan on Tatooine. ;)

another "Adventures in Tatooine" show would be a bit too much. And if they take him off-planet it will kinda annoy me.

The only thing I could see would be some characters coming to Tatooine, where he either dodges or encounters them.  And I totally agree with you, it would suck.

Otherwise, it would be focused on Vader and his hunt for the remaining Jedi(s).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Footnote: [spoiler]we see that the Tusken chief is dead, and the kid (because Boba Fett burns is little wooden proto-gaffi). But unless I missed it we haven't seen the corpse of the female warrior who trained Boba, so I expect her to have survived. (not that someone dying in Star Wars seems to mean much any more. :P )[/spoiler]
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/comics/2022/01/12/temuera-morrison-boba-fett/

Quote[...]

For the moment, Morrison is mum on just how much of his face we'll be seeing on Disney Plus outside of "The Book of Boba Fett." There are multiple Star Wars streaming series in production (including "Obi-Wan Kenobi" and "Ahsoka") that present opportunities for him to appear not only as Boba Fett but other clone troopers that share his face. They gained popularity in "The Clone Wars," while voiced by actor Dee Bradley Baker.

"Well, there are people — I'm thinking of Captain Rex for one. He looks a little like me. There's Commander Cody. What happened to those guys? There's all those clone armies," Morrison said. "That could be something fresh and new and exciting."

:hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on January 12, 2022, 12:49:10 PM
Kind of curious where they'll take this. Also, they kept mentioning that Tatooine [spoiler]used to have water. Kinda wondering if that's some foreshadowing of some major changes coming for the planet?[/spoiler] :o

Foreshadowing [spoiler]of that when those water barrels spilled all over the ground during the speeder chase?[/spoiler]

Syt

Quote from: Solmyr on January 12, 2022, 03:44:41 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 12, 2022, 12:49:10 PM

Foreshadowing [spoiler]of that when those water barrels spilled all over the ground during the speeder chase?[/spoiler]

:hmm:

[spoiler]We did also see water spilled in the previous episode, after the train heist.

Actually, with the center of Mos Espa being in a crater of sinkhole, maybe the rot will be "washed away" quite literally.[/spoiler]
—Stephen Jay Gould