News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 03, 2022, 10:52:39 PM
We should hold Star Wars to higher standards than Rambo. Hell, we should hold Rambo to higher standards.

The only thing that really differs is that the second movie in the Star Wars trilogy (ep V) was good.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 05, 2022, 09:59:00 AM
Book of Boba ep 2. Still don't care much for the Dances with Tuskens parts (and the show does care much for them...). Regarding the crime lord timeline: [spoiler]Black Krrsantan[/spoiler]  :w00t:

I liked this episode a lot better than the previous one. Though I didn't expect that the flashback ten or so minutes in would be ... the rest of the episode. :D I still think they should have done things in chronological order. Maybe there will be an alternate cut at some point. At the moment the pacing is really, really weird for me. Or perhaps this will head to a point where the two plots will meaningfully converge (e.g. Boba getting his ass kicked and going back to his tribe to recover).

[spoiler]It's going very Dances with Banthas with the flashback and I actually rolled my eyes when I realized they did the "train passengers shoot natives and bisons as drive-by" thing. But I came around to it for several reasons. Mostly it was a fun action scene that transported many wild west train heist tropes quite well to the setting. But I love train heists! And it had the Pykes (who I always enjoy seeing in Star Wars)! It had the awesome train conductor droid! :D The episode goes a bit through the joining/being accepted into the tribe tropes you have in these kinds of stories which are not very innovative, but I thought they were ok. I liked the introduction of the weaponsmith(?), because a nagging question is how the Tuskens fashion their weapons (or for that matter, their mask implements, considering they seem to burn their dead with them). They scavenge stuff, have some basic tools ... good enough for me. I did like that they confirmed that the planet used to have oceans which has been part of Tatooine's backstory in Legends, with different versions (most people might recall the story told by the Tuskens in KotOR). [/spoiler]

Also, it's a bit of a weird and lucky coincidence that they cast someone 20+ years ago as the "Clone Dad" of Boba Fett who has experience using the real life weapon the Tusken gaffi sticks are based on. :D

And I loved going to Tosche Station and caught up with Camie and Fixer (not putting this in spoilers since this was known from the trailers). People were joking before that maybe there'd be a bunch of dusty power converters that never got picked up. I was quite impressed that they managed to re-cast Luke's old friends quite well. Which is extra fan-service-y, since the whole sequence at Tosche Station was famously cut from the original movie (I first saw it when it was included in the ca. 2000 multimedia CD from LucasArts called "Behind the Magic" which included the scenes, plus cut scenes from the beginning of the movie of Luke watching the opening space battle, and an alternate cut of the cantina scene - some of these made it into the fanmade "Star Wars Grindhouse Cut" that I thought was a quite interesting take by removing any reference to the Force and using e.g. Isao Tomita for a soundtrack; that Lucas was apparently quite impressed with the effort).

Anyways, these were the original Camie and Fixer:

The present day stuff was all right. Some new interesting developments but not much progress. I like they added [spoiler]Black Krrsantan[/spoiler] from the comics, but I always found his look a bit too cartoony. Then again, Boba is running around with two Gamorreans in their undies, so what do I know :P I did enjoy the [spoiler]Hutt using a little furry creature as a sweat sponge[/spoiler].  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

The creature probably didn't enjoy it so much.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

I was wondering why [spoiler]the assassin guy was totally ready to die, but apparently not by rancor.[/spoiler]

Syt

Quote from: Solmyr on January 06, 2022, 02:13:17 AM
I was wondering why [spoiler]the assassin guy was totally ready to die, but apparently not by rancor.[/spoiler]

Quick painless death vs slow agonizing death, maybe?

Anyways, here's my predictions for the arc:

[spoiler]The mayor and Twi'lek Jennifer Beals are already working with the Hutts (which is why they're so bemusedly dismissive to Fett). The Hutts outmaneuver Fett (who as we see is not doing well playing politics yet) and run him out of town. Fennec saves his life (so they're even), and they go to "his" Tusken tribe to recover and regroup. Then launch an assault on the Hutts (with the Tuskens) and take over for real. Also, Black Krrsantan ends up working with/for Fett.

Alternative: Boba of Arabia, who unites the Arab Tusken tribes against the Ottomans off-worlders. :P[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

I like your alternate suggestion :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on January 07, 2022, 04:39:05 PM

I mean the scene of [spoiler]the Tuskens looting the train after the heist reminded me a lot of Lawrence of Arabia[/spoiler]. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on January 07, 2022, 04:52:37 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 07, 2022, 04:39:05 PM

I mean the scene of [spoiler]the Tuskens looting the train after the heist reminded me a lot of Lawrence of Arabia[/spoiler]. :P

I haven't seen that series yet.  Later :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

The [spoiler]train scene[/spoiler] was cool but it made absolutely no sense  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 08, 2022, 03:22:53 AM
The [spoiler]train scene[/spoiler] was cool but it made absolutely no sense  :lol:

[spoiler]I think it does a few things (besides being fun): sets up the Tuskens as something to be reckoned with. Them getting swoop bikes is an obvious parallel to American natives getting horses. But they will also probably draw more attention now. The Pyke Syndicate is running spice on Tattooine. Goes to show that with Jabba gone (and the Hutt Council having been "abolished" of sorts by Vader) other groups are trying to muscle in, with Tattooine becoming a much less stable place between biker gangs, syndicates, Tuskens etc. Boba gets a first taste of being in authority and being magnanimous (towards the Pykes). Might also set up the Pykes as potential future allies. Also, keep in mind he's doing all this without his armor. The lizard visions also seem to hint that he's trying to figure out who is really is, besides a clone of his father (both genetically and in how he earns his living, down to the armor he wears).

I feel that the answer to the question "why didn't he go after his armor sooner" might be that he felt that he didn't need it, or tried to break free from it. Why did he get it back in the end, anyways? There's probably an event that prompted it. Like, I don't know, the Tusken tribe being slaughtered and him being unable to stop it. So he retreats back into his shell, metaphorically and literally by getting into armor again. We ended the last episode on a high note for Boba and the Tuskens, so I feel we may be headed for disaster there very soon. :P[/spoiler]

Btw, it's been confirmed that Dave Filoni wrote the 6th (penultimate episode), so everyone on Twitter is going, "Cad Bane confirmed!!!"  :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

That would be pretty fucking cool.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

It would be damn time for live action Cad Bane - but I fear that with [spoiler]Black Krssantan they have already ticked the "cool guest bounty hunter" item off the checklist. [/spoiler]

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 08, 2022, 11:28:30 AM
It would be damn time for live action Cad Bane - but I fear that with [spoiler]Black Krssantan they have already ticked the "cool guest bounty hunter" item off the checklist. [/spoiler]
Could be a flashback. There was a Clone Wars arc that was in production but not finished when the show wrapped up following the Disney purchase. It had Bane and Fett duel each other. It was supposed to be the "origin story" for the dent on his helmet, and Bane himself was shot in the head.[spoiler] In The Bad Batch we saw Bane with a big metal plate in his skull, so there's a good chance the duel is probably still canon[/spoiler].
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Well, Fennec and Bane now have history too.

The Larch

If they brought back Luke for The Mandalorian, surely they can bring whoever they please for The Book of Boba Fett.