News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Yeah, today's episode was visually great, too. Particularly the "trapped inside the engine" part. It's also good to see the show pick up the main arc. Wasn't getting the feeling those side missions where getting much of anywhere.

Also, [spoiler]Cad Bane shows up as the next bounty hunter on Omega's tail, and he's got his own Morricone-ish musical cue. [/spoiler]Did he have that before?

Syt

I don't mind the side missions. They helped establish the squad trying to find a path for themselves, and learning how life works if you're not part of a major military organization. And while long form storytelling has become pretty much the norm these days, I also think there's room for shows with self contained episodes (Clone Wars had a great balance in that regard).

After [spoiler]resolving the inhibitor chip issue so quickly last episode I was interested to see if Crosshair would also be put under the knife (and it could potentially turn out that he's actually quite ok with how the Empire does things, which would be a neat twist).

Not sure about Cad Bane's musical queue, but I was hyped to see him again. Easily my favorite bounty hunter (that he's basically Lee van Cleef/Sentenza/Angel Eyes helps a lot). Loved the Sergio Leone gunfight homage.

There's still speculation that Crosshair becomes the origin of the Death Troopers, and I think this episode lends more credence to that theory. The non-clone troopers in his squad have green tinted lenses like him and DTs, and he will likely have to undergo surgery now, which might open the door to some Million Dollar Man scenario? (Death Troopers reportedly routinely undergo surgical enhancements. It's a shame they made them look like chumps in SW Rebels.)

Still a question what the Kaminoan contingency is and what Omega's role in it is. We all know that there don't seem to be any Kaminoans around in the later media, and we know what happened to the Geonosians ... a Clone uprising would be interesting.[/spoiler]

Btw, the gloing impact point of the sniper round reminded me a lot of the Jedi Knight games. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Btw, I just noticed that D+ now has the old cartoons - Droids, Ewoks, and the Ewok movies :D

Oh, and: The Story of the Faithful Wookiee. That one had me confused, but it's the animated bit from the Holiday Special in which Boba Fett was originally introduced. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Btw, this gave me Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy flashbacks, when you miss with the sniper rifle. :D

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I used to watch both Droids and Ewoks as a kid, but I'm not in an urge to revisit them  :lol:

[spoiler]Watching some Cad Bane scenes from CW reveal that the Morricone-style theme seems indeed new.[/spoiler] I'll be happy if Bad Batch picks up on the long-standing Star Wars tradition of referencing other movies.

Syt

Like the Samurai movie inspired show down between Maul and Kenobi in Rebels?

Btw, I love Sam Witwer's breakdown of the scene: https://youtu.be/wppqgXKeV0E
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

That was my favorite scene in Rebels.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on June 18, 2021, 05:45:36 AM
That was my favorite scene in Rebels.

My biggest surprise about Rebels was that it actually made me root for a character protrayed by Freddie Prinz Jr (tbf till then I mostly knew him from teen romcoms :P )
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

He was a counter-terrorism agent in 24.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Good episode. :)

I love me some [spoiler]Bounty Hunter on Bounty Hunter[/spoiler] action.

Once again the episode looked incredible. The [spoiler]sunlight/fog/clouds in the abandoned station looked incredible. Also: dropping a dead clone on Fennec Shand[/spoiler]: gross!

Some more information was revealed, answering some questions, and I liked the confirmation that there's [spoiler]conflicting goals within the Kaminoans[/spoiler].

What I'm currently not on board with (though my mind may change on this), is that Omega [spoiler]is revealed as Boba Fett's quasi-twin, and I was hoping we would not see Boba Fett in this show, and rather they do their own thing. Between Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, and now this it might be a bit of Fett overkill (and frankly I have somewhat limited patience for "everything is connected" kind of stories.[/spoiler] But if the ride is good, I might change my tune on that. [spoiler]I did in Mandalorian[/spoiler].

[spoiler]Cad Bane looks like he has a head implant. There was an unfinished Clone Wars arc for which animated storyboards were created in which he and Boba Fett dueled (the shots were very similar to the duel between Hunter and Bane in the last episode). In the duel, Bane hits Fett in the helmet (it's how he got the famous dent), and Bane is implied to go down. It's possible, I guess, that this happens before this show, and he's wearing the implant because of his injuries sustained in the duel. (I wouldn't be surprised if this is shown in Book of Boba Fett which is confirmed to have flashbacks to his past.) Also, Cad Bane's ship in this episode was teased years ago for the mentioned duel episode/arc, and when the series was canceled Filoni said it would be a shame to not see it in action. Get he sorted that out.[/spoiler] :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Heh, I was wondering why [spoiler]Cad wasn't riding the Xanadu Blood.[/spoiler]

Very cool episode, indeed. Might be my favorite so far of the show. Agreed on [spoiler]too many Fetts[/spoiler], though.

Syt

Interesting bit: people were wondering why Omega is blonde when all other clones are dark haired. Turns out Temuera Morrison's (deceased) sister was blonde. :o
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

She's got a kiwi accent, too (which the clones lack :P)

Syt

I half expect now that this series (or season at least) may tie in a fair bit with the Boba Fett series. Boba searching for his lost sister or something?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

What concerns me, though, is that Star Wars reaches a survivability of gruesome injury I last saw in the Elfen Lied Manga. :P

Shot in the stomach? Robogut!

Cut in half? Robolegs!

Shot in the head? Armor plate!

Eaten by Sarlacc? ???

Thrown down a reactor shaft? Force essence transfer to a prepared clone as part of a long term contingency!

And I'm not even counting force ghosts. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould