And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Looks like Tarkin was promoted between episodes of the show  :hmm:

Syt

Star Wars Explained in their post show podcast brought this up and that it doesn't quite match up the books where he's promoted later. But they also more or less shrugged their shoulders at this, not sure if it was intentional or accidental.

Alex pointed out that when they made those insignia for A New Hope some prop guy probably just glued some bits and pieces together that looked like insignia with more squares just meaning higher rank and it wasn't till later that proper meanings were attached to each pattern.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Yeah, the exact ranks for each insignia are clearly ex-post. IIRC Moff Jerjerrod in ROTJ doesn't even wear the same one as Tarkin in ANH.

My bet is that someone put the wrong insignia on Tarkin's animated model and now they'll have to retcon everything  :lol:

Syt

And then we're not even talking about the whole Grand Moff vs Governor Tarkin thing.

Anyways, here's Grandma Tarkin.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

You know, you've made me look up his cameo in Revenge of the Sith:

Moff insignia.

Tamas

Is it possible a kids' program failed to be consistent? :P

The Minsky Moment

Maybe the empire just had a chicklet shortage?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Clones. There are multiple Tarkin's (Tarkini?) at at different ranks. Time line maintained :contract: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 18, 2021, 10:47:05 AM
Clones. There are multiple Tarkin's (Tarkini?) at at different ranks. Time line maintained :contract: :P

But then why is Tarkin so skeptical about clone troopers?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2021, 10:49:42 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 18, 2021, 10:47:05 AM

But then why is Tarkin so skeptical about clone troopers?

They don't know their clones.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on May 16, 2021, 03:29:32 AM
Moff is a civilian rank, akin to sector governor.Even though they wear military uniforms, they answer to the Emperor, not the military chain of command.  Technically, not a promotion.
Ah, figure the old European colonization model.  I guess Spanish colonies were similar to New France.  In 1757, Montcalm was the general leading the military expeditions against the British, but Vaudreuil was responsible for all military forces left in what is now Quebec, as well as civilian operation of the colony.  That would be like a Moff.  Except the French never got a Death Star to destroy Albany. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Just came across The Rise of Skywalker on one of those streaming websites I "subscribe" to.

I gave it another go, as I thought "It couldn't be as bad as I remember after the 1st viewing".

It's so bad, Jesus Christ it's bad. I burst out laughing a couple of times.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2021, 06:34:07 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 16, 2021, 03:29:32 AM
Moff is a civilian rank, akin to sector governor.Even though they wear military uniforms, they answer to the Emperor, not the military chain of command.  Technically, not a promotion.
Ah, figure the old European colonization model.  I guess Spanish colonies were similar to New France.  In 1757, Montcalm was the general leading the military expeditions against the British, but Vaudreuil was responsible for all military forces left in what is now Quebec, as well as civilian operation of the colony.  That would be like a Moff.  Except the French never got a Death Star to destroy Albany. :(

I always thought moffs more as Roman governors, which both ran a province and commanded its military forces.

The Larch

Quote from: Zoupa on May 19, 2021, 12:12:06 AM
Just came across The Rise of Skywalker on one of those streaming websites I "subscribe" to.

I gave it another go, as I thought "It couldn't be as bad as I remember after the 1st viewing".

The Rise of Skywalker was sentenced the moment the openin crawl brought up Palpatine.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 19, 2021, 03:15:19 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 19, 2021, 12:12:06 AM

The Rise of Skywalker was sentenced the moment the openin crawl brought up Palpatine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx03yPXg4ZQ

Such a terrible creative decision, made even worse by how they don't even give a fuck about explaining it  :lol: