And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2021, 01:38:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2021, 01:17:55 PM
It was never a fan favorite, it is just lazy writing. Why develop something new when you can just go back to the same fucking place over and over and over again?

Of course it was a fan favourite - that's why we keep coming back to it.  That's why Jakku never had any kind of resonance despite being functionally the same as Tatooine.

Well, the entire effin' movie is functionally the same as ANH  :lol:

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2021, 12:45:56 PM
Regarding the Larses, the fact they live in Tatooine in ANH doesn't mean they did in the past or that Anakin lived there in the past.
Solo is an ancient family name from Correlia, the Organas were a well established noble&ruling family on Alderaan as of 4000 years ago, and Skywalker seems like "Snow" and "Sand" in GoT, names given to orphans and bastards.

I don't think anyone has moved to another planet, except to Coruscant maybe, in over 20 000 years in this universe :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Planetary emigration and immigration was a virtual impossibility in the Galactic Republic ever since Senator Malious Katrumprunner got his planetary migration reform bill passed through the Senate shortly after the inception of the Republic.  Even if you could qualify it took the bureaucrats decades to process the paperwork.  The Jedi of course ignored all these formalities; another reason most of the population hated their guts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

In case anyone wants to know where I got that piece of lore from, I used the same methods used in making the last six canon movies: I pulled it out of my ass without any thought whatsoever.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2021, 11:55:42 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2021, 01:47:59 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2021, 12:05:22 AM
OK, that certainly makes sense.

I mean - leaving Luke on Tatooine with Vaders actual name and with relatives of Vader in an effort to hide him from Vader? WTF?

Well, that's not a problem with ANH, rather how Lucas handled the change. Vader's real name being "Skywalker" isn't (indirectly) established until ESB. And honestly, that's not that much of a problem I'd say. There are billions of people in the galaxy, we don't know how common that surname could be.

The problem is that Obi Wan hides him WITH VADER'S RELATIVES, IN VADER'S FUCKING HOME PLANET. And that's another thing to add to the very long list of sins of the prequels.

Honestly, one of the things I'm mostly interested about the new Obi Wan show is whether they address the elephant in the room of how terrible that plan is, yet it ultimately works.

To be fair the bolded wasn't a problem with the prequels.  It was introduced in the original trilogy.

Ok I never thought he was his literal uncle until the prequels. I thought it was just something he called his guardians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 08, 2021, 07:14:00 PM
In case anyone wants to know where I got that piece of lore from, I used the same methods used in making the last six canon movies: I pulled it out of my ass without any thought whatsoever.

Haters gonna hate.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Incidentally, since I recently finished Clone Wars, decided - against my better judgment - to rewatch Ep3 to brush up my memories of those events. There were some... contrasts.

(and the whole Order 66 business is made even worse by the fact that the Clone Wars show establishes the Jedi knew the Sith were responsible for the creation of the clone army)

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 08, 2021, 07:14:00 PM

Shit has just got real

celedhring

So, Bad Batch is here. First (long) episode is mostly a set-up affair, although it does feature interesting stuff like seeing [spoiler]Order 66 from the Bad Batch's PoV hunting down/helping no one other than padawan Caleb aka Kanan Jarrus and his master[/spoiler].

I get the feeling the show wants to be Star Wars' A-Team. Crack commando team on the run, helping people everywhere they go.

Also, Dee Bradley Baker (the guy that does all the clones' voices) is a master of his craft. He probably voiced like 80% of the dialogue in this episode and everybody comes across with distinct mannerisms and personality.

Syt

As a set up I liked it, though the second half seemed to drag a bit.

I liked the callback to the Clone Wars. [spoiler]It's been a while since I read the Kanan comics which flashed back to his time with his master on that planet and how he survived Order 66, but there might be a small retcon here in how he escaped.[/spoiler]

When they were told to go to [spoiler]Onderon I knew they'd most likely run into Saw Gerrera - and they did, fancy that. :P I liked that they used the younger voice actor who portrayed Saw in the Clone Wars series. In Rebels which is set closer to Rogue One he's voiced by Forest Whitaker who played him in the movie[/spoiler].

And I got nostalgic hearing Tom Kane doing the opening narration like he did in Clone Wars. He had a stroke December 30th, and it's unsure if he will be able to go back to full voice acting. I always loved his work, and he's been extremely prolific in all things Star Wars. In Clone Wars he was most notably the narrator, but also Admiral Yularen, Yoda and others. He was the Yoda character in KOTOR, voiced C-3PO and other droids in many games, or the fleet battle interface in Star Wars: Rebellion. Just check his Wiki page: and search for Star Wars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Kane
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Wow, had no idea about Tom Kane. I gather he must have recorded his bit before the stroke? He suffered it in October, it seems.

And yeah, the Kamino part dragged a bit. But narrative expedience has never been Clone Wars' M.O.  :P

I'm also a bit miffed by Star Wars' obsession with making [spoiler]Saw Gerrera[/spoiler] happen. I never cared for the character in any of its versions.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on May 04, 2021, 12:16:54 PM
I'm also a bit miffed by Star Wars' obsession with making [spoiler]Saw Gerrera[/spoiler] happen. I never cared for the character in any of its versions.

I don't mind him if he's just showing up as guest star here and there. *shrug*

The kid character was fortunately not of the annoying sort. Though [spoiler]her backstory has been setup as an obvious mystery. And I assume there will be a redemption of Crosshair where his chip either gets removed or breaks.[/spoiler]

Quickly browsed the [spoiler]Kanan [/spoiler]comic again. [spoiler]The clone troopers in that one had red armor markings, not green ones. The planet looks ... similar? Like, same trees, but the art makes it hard to judge if there's snow. There's a "jump cut" between Caleb running through the woods fleeing from Clone Troopers and making it to a space port, so the interlude with Hunter could have taken place around the time. The death scene of Master Billaba is pretty much lifted 1 to 1.[/spoiler] Overall small, inconsequential changes. I still find it interesting how in the new canon characters and events can cross over between books, animated shows, live action etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

The kid wasn't annoying so I'll give it a pass for now. When they introduced Ashoka Tano back in CW I kinda groaned ("oh no, here comes the part where they put an annoying kid sidekick in this") and that turned out... okay.

I'd honestly would have preferred that [spoiler]Crosshair joined the Empire out of his own volition, instead of being conditioned by the chip[/spoiler].

Are we supposed to know what[spoiler] "J-19" is or who is there[/spoiler]? I guess not.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on May 04, 2021, 12:40:15 PM
Are we supposed to know what[spoiler] "J-19" is or who is there[/spoiler]? I guess not.

Speculation [spoiler]seems to be that it's the sector where Saleucami is, where the Clone deserter from Season 2 of Clone Wars lives with his Twi'lek wife: https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/680356-star-wars-the-bad-batch-j19-j-19[/spoiler]
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

https://twitter.com/DavidWCollins/status/1389274088900755456

Quote"This is where the fun begins!"

Years ago I started a journey with elite clones as the sound designer on Republic Commando. It's been pure joy coming full circle as the sound designer, editor and mixer on Star Wars: The Bad Batch, premiering tomorrow on May the 4th.

He says in other posts that he's been re-using sound effects from Republic Commando (and Force Unleashed) for the show. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould