Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2021, 01:47:59 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2021, 12:05:22 AM
OK, that certainly makes sense.

I mean - leaving Luke on Tatooine with Vaders actual name and with relatives of Vader in an effort to hide him from Vader? WTF?

Well, that's not a problem with ANH, rather how Lucas handled the change. Vader's real name being "Skywalker" isn't (indirectly) established until ESB. And honestly, that's not that much of a problem I'd say. There are billions of people in the galaxy, we don't know how common that surname could be.

The problem is that Obi Wan hides him WITH VADER'S RELATIVES, IN VADER'S FUCKING HOME PLANET. And that's another thing to add to the very long list of sins of the prequels.

Honestly, one of the things I'm mostly interested about the new Obi Wan show is whether they address the elephant in the room of how terrible that plan is, yet it ultimately works.
Vader hates Tatooine, too many bad memories.Tatooine is established as being a backwater planet with not much of an Imperial presence.Vader never even goes to Tatooine himself to search for Leia and the Death Star plans.They are not technically his relatives, he has no links with them, he met them only once.
Vader thinks his kid (singular) died with Padme.  He has no reason to search for Luke until he felt his presence during the Death Star incident.

All in all, given the changes, I think it works pretty well.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on April 08, 2021, 08:05:49 AM
It's obvious luke  was put there because Vader hates sand and so would never visit :P
desert temps for asthmatics can't be that great :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

I mean - leaving Luke on Tatooine with Vaders actual name and with relatives of Vader in an effort to hide him from Vader? WTF?

Well, that's not a problem with ANH, rather how Lucas handled the change. Vader's real name being "Skywalker" isn't (indirectly) established until ESB. And honestly, that's not that much of a problem I'd say. There are billions of people in the galaxy, we don't know how common that surname could be.

The problem is that Obi Wan hides him WITH VADER'S RELATIVES, IN VADER'S FUCKING HOME PLANET. And that's another thing to add to the very long list of sins of the prequels.

Honestly, one of the things I'm mostly interested about the new Obi Wan show is whether they address the elephant in the room of how terrible that plan is, yet it ultimately works.

To be fair the bolded wasn't a problem with the prequels.  It was introduced in the original trilogy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2021, 09:06:00 AM
It doesn't matter how common it is, why would you leave it the same? If I needed to hide Luke Smith from someone looking for Luke Smith ad that someone looking for them name is named Joe Smith because he happens to be the dad of Luke Smith, I am going to change their fucking name to Bob Rodolfo or something.
But that's exactly what a smart person would do, so Vader is expecting that!!!  See how smart they are, it's like hiding in plain sight!! :P

And while maybe the "Skywalker" surname is as common as mud (seems unlikely considering the reverence everyone has around the name, and the fact that we have never, ever, ever, seen a single person with the same surname who was not a actual relation), leaving someone named Skywalker with someone related to the Skywalker looking for them, with other people also named Skywalker...no, you cannot possibly pretend that makes any sense. If you were trying to hide someone that important from the two most powerful people in the galaxy, who both have at their disposal a intelligence apparatus of unparalleled size, there is just no fucking way you can retcon that into making sense.
In the EU, it was said it was a pretty common name in the mid/outer rim area of the galaxy.  But in the movies, there's zero Solo or Kenobi either.  Rey was given a Palpatine connection at the last minute.  It really means nothing in itself.

QuoteEven if we assume Vader didn't WANT to find him (which makes no fucking sense since once he does he doesn't help Luke hide but immediately tries to recruit him, and then nearly kills him), that doesn't explain why the people hiding Luke are morons. THEY don't know that Vader would not want to find him.
Vader does not know he has a son, let alone a daughter too.  Leia was better hidden, come to think of it.  But in both cases, they are hidden in young families in age of having children of their own.

It is really too bad, because that really was the start of a trend you say all throughout the SW universe, that was so fucking lame. Gigantic universe, but only a couple dozen people in it actually matter. And no matter what they do, the lazy fucking writers and creative talent just keep going to back to that, over and over and over again. Hell, there was a time when the "reveal" about Rey was going to be...gasp....nothing! She has NO CONNECTION! Just a truly random person! INSANE!
No complaints here :PHeck, I'm playing the Old Republic and the story, in a galaxy that spans 1000 of star systems is held on a dozen different world that you often revisit.

But of course...they could not even resist that. And it turns out that the universe doesn't actually care about 99.9999999% of the entities in the galaxy, and everything only happens to this ultra select tiny group. C3PO and R2 are randomly dropped at a random planet randomly trying to get away from Vader and randomly, out of the entire hundreds of billions of sentient beings in the galaxy, just happen to fall into the lap of the son of the person they were fleeing from.
IIRC, there's less than 300 Jedis left when The Phantom Menace begins, and they kill 150-200 of them in Attack of the Clones.  And they fight a galactic war with an army of 3 million soldiers in all. Pilots, naval officers, ground troops, special forces.  I think the US might have had close to that number of soldiers for WWII, and that was one country of one planet.

Decades later, another droid is randomly dropped on a random planet to be found by a random person, who just so happens to be the long lost grand-daughter of the previous Emperor.
There's just so many coincidences in this world, it's amazing! :P

Ugggh. It's all just so fucking LAZY.
But it works.  Disney has more than made their money with that, why change a successful recipy?
Admit it.  We're being played for suckers but we keep asking for more. :(

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2021, 11:55:42 AM

To be fair the bolded wasn't a problem with the prequels.  It was introduced in the original trilogy.

Unless there's something I'm missing, you don't learn that Vader is a Tatooine native until TPM.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2021, 12:11:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2021, 11:55:42 AM

Unless there's something I'm missing, you don't learn that Vader is a Tatooine native until TPM.

Yes, but then how do you get Luke's aunt and uncle to live on Tattooine when Anakin isn't from there?  Plus Beru at least knows Anakin (he's not a farmer - he has too much of his father in him').

Although as I think about it - Leia might actually have been the worse-hidden twin.  Luke at least is on an obscure backwater planet with a step-brother Anakin has only ever met once.  Leia is placed with a extremely prominent and political family with a foster-father that Anakin knows extremely well.

celedhring

At least they changed her surname! (although that was only because Leia's status as Luke's sister was decided in ROTJ...)

Regarding the Larses, the fact they live in Tatooine in ANH doesn't mean they did in the past or that Anakin lived there in the past.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2021, 12:45:56 PM
At least they changed her surname! (although that was only because Leia's status as Luke's sister was decided in ROTJ...)

Regarding the Larses, the fact they live in Tatooine in ANH doesn't mean they did in the past or that Anakin lived there in the past.

Moisture farming doesn't seem like kind of career path you move around from planet to planet to follow.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2021, 12:58:14 PM

Moisture farming doesn't seem like kind of career path you move around from planet to planet to follow.

My personal headcanon before the prequels were released is that the Larses retired there after the Clone Wars, taking Luke with them. Obi Wan makes Owen seem like a pretty jaded dude in ANH.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2021, 01:02:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2021, 12:58:14 PM

My personal headcanon before the prequels were released is that the Larses retired there after the Clone Wars. Obi Wan makes Owen seem like a pretty jaded dude in ANH.

Owen Lars really didn't come across as a veteran!

He came across as a very basic figure - someone who has farmed his entire life and likely expects Luke to carry on after him.

celedhring

Didn't say he was a vet. Just somebody that fled from conflict and strife. Again, the real canon proved you right: he's a moisture farming lifer. Again, what I mean is that were million ways to build Anakin's past without involving Tatooine.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2021, 01:13:01 PM
Didn't say he was a vet. Just somebody that fled from conflict and strife. Again, the real canon proved you right: he's a moisture farming lifer. Again, what I mean is that were million ways to build Anakin's past without involving Tatooine.

I mean sure, you're right.

But Anakin being from Tatooine was probably the most straight-forward.  Plus it allowed Lucas to revisit fan-favourite Tatooine (although I have to say between episodes 4, 6, 1, 2, 9 plus Clone Wars and Mandalorian I'm about done with the place).

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2021, 01:15:22 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2021, 01:13:01 PM

I mean sure, you're right.

But Anakin being from Tatooine was probably the most straight-forward.  Plus it allowed Lucas to revisit fan-favourite Tatooine (although I have to say between episodes 4, 6, 1, 2, 9 plus Clone Wars and Mandalorian I'm about done with the place).

It was never a fan favorite, it is just lazy writing. Why develop something new when you can just go back to the same fucking place over and over and over again?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

I have had friends travel to Tunisia to visit the original locations of ANH. It was a fan-favorite, the problem is that it's been ridiculously overplayed. The busiest backwater planet of the galaxy.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2021, 01:17:55 PM
It was never a fan favorite, it is just lazy writing. Why develop something new when you can just go back to the same fucking place over and over and over again?

Of course it was a fan favourite - that's why we keep coming back to it.  That's why Jakku never had any kind of resonance despite being functionally the same as Tatooine.