News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Eh, they were making up the Skywalker family tree as they went when doing the original trilogy too.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on April 04, 2021, 11:51:50 AM
Eh, they were making up the Skywalker family tree as they went when doing the original trilogy too.

But fair enough - I doubt Lucas was thinking very much about a sequel, never mind a huge global franchise (though it must have crossed his mind, since he let Vader live at the end of A New Hope).

By the time it came to make Ep 7 they knew they were making a trilogy.  I still think it was almost criminal they went into the process with absolutely no master plan about how things would end up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Yeah, Disney are drawing up an entire expanded universe out of this. They have no excuse.

Berkut

So was Vader supposed to be Luke father right from the beginning?

Because you know - that actually doesn't make any fucking sense at all when seen from the lense of just Episode IV.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2021, 02:25:51 PM

Because you know - that actually doesn't make any fucking sense at all when seen from the lense of just Episode IV.

I don't think so. But Vader was saved at the end of Episode IV to be a recurring villain, that was all BB was saying.

Though Vader means father in like Danish or something so who knows?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Heh, just think if Lucas didn't think of getting Vader out of the Death Star when making Star Wars. The trilogy doesn't become such a cultural icon without Darth Vader.

How many things can hinge of minute decisions like that...

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2021, 02:25:51 PM

to answer your question, no:
https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a26063945/darth-vader-luke-skywalker-father-original-star-wars-empire-strikes-back-script/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

OK, that certainly makes sense.

I mean - leaving Luke on Tatooine with Vaders actual name and with relatives of Vader in an effort to hide him from Vader? WTF?

0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2021, 12:05:22 AM

I mean - leaving Luke on Tatooine with Vaders actual name and with relatives of Vader in an effort to hide him from Vader? WTF?

Well, that's not a problem with ANH, rather how Lucas handled the change. Vader's real name being "Skywalker" isn't (indirectly) established until ESB. And honestly, that's not that much of a problem I'd say. There are billions of people in the galaxy, we don't know how common that surname could be.

The problem is that Obi Wan hides him WITH VADER'S RELATIVES, IN VADER'S FUCKING HOME PLANET. And that's another thing to add to the very long list of sins of the prequels.

Honestly, one of the things I'm mostly interested about the new Obi Wan show is whether they address the elephant in the room of how terrible that plan is, yet it ultimately works.

Tamas

Didn't Anakin think his kids died?

celedhring

Yeah, but you're essentially one bout of nostalgia away from destroying the galaxy's last hope* - it's a terrible plan.

My only explanation would be that Obi Wan believes Anakin is dead, so Tatooine is safe. But then again, he knows Vader in the OT.

*well, there was another.

Solmyr

I've read one attempt to explain it so that Vader actually does sense his kids distantly, but doesn't do anything about it because he doesn't want the Emperor to get his hands on them.

celedhring

Quote from: Solmyr on April 08, 2021, 03:28:49 AM
I've read one attempt to explain it so that Vader actually does sense his kids distantly, but doesn't do anything about it because he doesn't want the Emperor to get his hands on them.

Nah, in the current version of ESB it's the Emperor who reveals to Vader that "the rebel that destroyed the Death Star" is his son, during the holographic conversation they have. Unless Vader is feigning surprise in that scene, of course. That change is awful, imho, but it is what it is.

HVC

It's obvious luke  was put there because Vader hates sand and so would never visit :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2021, 01:47:59 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2021, 12:05:22 AM

Well, that's not a problem with ANH, rather how Lucas handled the change. Vader's real name being "Skywalker" isn't (indirectly) established until ESB. And honestly, that's not that much of a problem I'd say. There are billions of people in the galaxy, we don't know how common that surname could be.

The problem is that Obi Wan hides him WITH VADER'S RELATIVES, IN VADER'S FUCKING HOME PLANET. And that's another thing to add to the very long list of sins of the prequels.

Honestly, one of the things I'm mostly interested about the new Obi Wan show is whether they address the elephant in the room of how terrible that plan is, yet it ultimately works.

It doesn't matter how common it is, why would you leave it the same? If I needed to hide Luke Smith from someone looking for Luke Smith ad that someone looking for them name is named Joe Smith because he happens to be the dad of Luke Smith, I am going to change their fucking name to Bob Rodolfo or something.

And while maybe the "Skywalker" surname is as common as mud (seems unlikely considering the reverence everyone has around the name, and the fact that we have never, ever, ever, seen a single person with the same surname who was not a actual relation), leaving someone named Skywalker with someone related to the Skywalker looking for them, with other people also named Skywalker...no, you cannot possibly pretend that makes any sense. If you were trying to hide someone that important from the two most powerful people in the galaxy, who both have at their disposal a intelligence apparatus of unparalleled size, there is just no fucking way you can retcon that into making sense.

Even if we assume Vader didn't WANT to find him (which makes no fucking sense since once he does he doesn't help Luke hide but immediately tries to recruit him, and then nearly kills him), that doesn't explain why the people hiding Luke are morons. THEY don't know that Vader would not want to find him.

It is really too bad, because that really was the start of a trend you say all throughout the SW universe, that was so fucking lame. Gigantic universe, but only a couple dozen people in it actually matter. And no matter what they do, the lazy fucking writers and creative talent just keep going to back to that, over and over and over again. Hell, there was a time when the "reveal" about Rey was going to be...gasp....nothing! She has NO CONNECTION! Just a truly random person! INSANE!

But of course...they could not even resist that. And it turns out that the universe doesn't actually care about 99.9999999% of the entities in the galaxy, and everything only happens to this ultra select tiny group. C3PO and R2 are randomly dropped at a random planet randomly trying to get away from Vader and randomly, out of the entire hundreds of billions of sentient beings in the galaxy, just happen to fall into the lap of the son of the person they were fleeing from.

Decades later, another droid is randomly dropped on a random planet to be found by a random person, who just so happens to be the long lost grand-daughter of the previous Emperor.

Ugggh. It's all just so fucking LAZY.

Sorry, I will stop ranting now.

0 rows returned