News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Nitpick: the post was not so much Democrats = Nazis but Republicans/Conservatives = prosecuted like Jews.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2021, 01:32:48 AM
They have another big mess on their hands after overpaying for Star Wars after they finally were making something people were liking. Is this working?
They did not overpay.  IIRC, they made their money with the first movie and its derivative products.  If not with the first, than with the second they came even.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 14, 2021, 02:09:01 AM
Ignoring issues never works. Sorry. It just imbeds the problem deeper and more pervasively through the whole. When things have been left to rot and fester under the "just ignore it" model for as long as they have, it is going to take a lot of time, pain, and effort to even begin to see widespread change. The fact that there is change though (For example: Go watch a new Harvey Weinstein production or a Kevin Spacey film. Oh. Wait.) is encouraging and reason to hold out hope that this is the correct course to take.
Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey weren't 'cancelled' because of something they said, but because of something they did.  The lastest being Joss Whedon, apparently (and that saddens me a lot more than these other fuckers).  This is something that should be out in the open, this is something that should get you fired imediatly rather than swept under a rug.

The problem here, it's easy to pile onto the actress, she said silly stuff, comparing the political games of Dems Vs GOP as Nazis vs Jews.  I don't think that was antisemitic, just extremely dumb, in line with the limited intelligence of the actress.

She went from 2nd rate actress to martyr of the right (one more :P ) in one post.  I'm not sure it's better.

And when people get fired for posting "stupid shit", from a GOP-centric point of view, are you also gonna say "good riddance"?If someone posts on social media that it's ok for transgenders to use the bathroom of their choice and their employer fires them, is that also a very good thing?

Again, I don't want govt intervention in this.  Doesn't mean I like it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2021, 05:19:54 AM
That is not what my take was at all. I was only saying that in this particular circumstances, because it was the first thing with Star Wars they had made something people were actually enjoying that maybe it might have been a better decision to sidestep the controversy. I could be wrong but there are 74 million Trump voters out there and you are trying to get a vast audience. And then what happens when somebody else on one of your movies makes a controversial tweet? Then suddenly the pressure will pour in to keep doing it, especially if right wingers feel like some left wing person should get fired to even the score or something. Is that really the publicity you might want? I don't know. But I specifically referring to this particular situation.
The Trump voters were already enraged at Disney for having a female lead, an Asian woman and some other things :P

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on February 14, 2021, 08:16:30 AM
Dude I love you but what is your point exactly? You seem to be saying tout et son contraire.

She wasn't even fired was she? I thought they just didn't offer her a new contract.
She was fired, she won't be coming back for the 3rd season, nor will she appear in other series (but that was decided before the last straw, I think).

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: viper37 on February 14, 2021, 01:21:26 PM
Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey weren't 'cancelled' because of something they said, but because of something they did.  The lastest being Joss Whedon, apparently (and that saddens me a lot more than these other fuckers).  This is something that should be out in the open, this is something that should get you fired imediatly rather than swept under a rug.

The problem here, it's easy to pile onto the actress, she said silly stuff, comparing the political games of Dems Vs GOP as Nazis vs Jews.  I don't think that was antisemitic, just extremely dumb, in line with the limited intelligence of the actress.

She went from 2nd rate actress to martyr of the right (one more :P ) in one post.  I'm not sure it's better.

And when people get fired for posting "stupid shit", from a GOP-centric point of view, are you also gonna say "good riddance"?If someone posts on social media that it's ok for transgenders to use the bathroom of their choice and their employer fires them, is that also a very good thing?

Again, I don't want govt intervention in this.  Doesn't mean I like it.
She wasn't fired for one post. The one getting attention was simply the last in a series of pretty offensive posts. "The straw that broke the mouse's back", if you will.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Solmyr

She's a QAnon believer and a COVID denialist. Seriously, there's no way retaining her would not be a bad look for Disney.

Josquius

Today I learned she wasn't even fired. She merely didn't have her contract renewed.
Wow. Already I was on Disney's side. Now...How is this even controversial? :rolleyes:
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Saw on twitter that Ming Na Wen (Fennec Shand in Mandalorian) also voiced Mulan and appeared in Agents of Shield, which makes her one Pixar role short of completing the Disney Grand Slam.

EDIT: She was also Chun-Li  :w00t:

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on February 14, 2021, 08:16:30 AM
Dude I love you but what is your point exactly? You seem to be saying tout et son contraire.

She wasn't even fired was she? I thought they just didn't offer her a new contract.

My point is that it is idiotic to do what she did so publicly on social media. I sure wish people would take that shit to heart. There are busy bodies out there just waiting for somebody to say something bad.

Then I got a little distracted pointing out that finally Disney had a big Star Wars success only to have it get all partisan and divisive because of this stupid business. But that is neither here nor there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 14, 2021, 01:56:09 PM
She wasn't fired for one post. The one getting attention was simply the last in a series of pretty offensive posts. "The straw that broke the mouse's back", if you will.
One or one thousand does not really matter.  A lot of people post a lot of objectionable/offensive things on social media, depending on who's reading it.

A pro-Trump Evangelical Christian reading my Facebook page would find a lot of objectionable, downright offensive material.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on February 15, 2021, 09:34:56 AM
Saw on twitter that Ming Na Wen (Fennec Shand in Mandalorian) also voiced Mulan and appeared in Agents of Shield, which makes her one Pixar role short of completing the Disney Grand Slam.

EDIT: She was also Chun-Li  :w00t:
She had a major role in Agents of Shield, she did not just "appear" :)She got to kick-ass a lot.  I really liked her character. :)

viper37

Quote from: Solmyr on February 15, 2021, 04:55:18 AM
She's a QAnon believer and a COVID denialist. Seriously, there's no way retaining her would not be a bad look for Disney.
I never said she was the brightest star out there.  She's certainly pretty dumb.  But there are tons of people like her out there.  Should they all be fired?

I'm all for it, but it ain't my country who's gonna be the most affected, after all.
At the same time, I still haven't a clue on how to fight that Q-Anon bullshit, still spreading, still increasing outside the US.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2021, 04:44:00 PM
Then I got a little distracted pointing out that finally Disney had a big Star Wars success only to have it get all partisan and divisive because of this stupid business. But that is neither here nor there.
Disney had 4 big Star Wars success before that, out of 5, but only 2 were success with the fans and the $$$.  The other only brought $$$ home, without the fans approval.

Rogue One was pretty well received by critics, the public and generated a lot of cash, albeit less than the other 3 movies they made, since there was a lack of derivative products (I guess it was a derivative product in itself, since it's goal was to keep the flame on while we were waiting for the other opus).  #8 was well received with critics, generated a lot of money, but disapointed fans.  #9 was pawned by critics and received mixed reviews by fans, but apparently still made money.

Only Solo was disapointing in terms of generated income.  And the lack of derivative products, again, like Rogue One.  I'm not sure it even worked well in China :P

viper37

Details about the film are being kept under wraps, but Shapiro said in a statement, "We could not be more excited to be working with Gina Carano, an incredible talent dumped by Disney and Lucasfilm for offending the authoritarian Hollywood Left. This is what Daily Wire exists to do: provide an alternative not just for consumers, but for creators who refuse to bow to the mob."

He added, "We're eager to bring Gina's talent to Americans who love her, and we're just as eager to show Hollywood that if they want to keep cancelling those who think differently, they'll just be helping us build the X-Wing to take down their Death Star."

I hear the violins... "Incredible talent" :P :P :P
Source