News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Habbaku on February 11, 2021, 10:12:07 AM
She was the worst actor on the show barring perhaps Bill Burr. No loss.

Yup. Every time I saw her on screen I felt pulled out of the show.

I get the same thing when Burr is on screen, but at least he's mildly entertaining. Carano is just flat all the time.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I had no issue with Bill Burr, but that's likely because I've not known him before watching Mandalorian.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

He's mainly a comedian, though he did have a memorable turn in Breaking Bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 11, 2021, 02:47:30 AM
On the flip side, it's great to have a way to identify the bigots.

I mean I am prone to sometimes get emotional and post stupid shit online. Or maybe sometimes I just have a stupid idea that I decide to post online for some reason. But I at least do it relatively anonymously here on Languish in front of 20 other people. Doing it when I am a public figure and have a high paying job on the line and it is directly and proudly linked to my name? What madness is that? People have been getting fired for social media posts for over a decade now. Have some sense people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2021, 11:51:08 AM

I mean I am prone to sometimes get emotional and post stupid shit online. Or maybe sometimes I just have a stupid idea that I decide to post online for some reason. But I at least do it relatively anonymously here on Languish in front of 20 other people. Doing it when I am a public figure and have a high paying job on the line and it is directly and proudly linked to my name? What madness is that? People have been getting fired for social media posts for over a decade now. Have some sense people.

One of the problems is when people see the President of the United States say outrageous things online, they figure it is ok for them to do it too.

Lots of people are finding out that isn't so.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 11, 2021, 09:12:30 AM
I'd dig it. Though probably a bit old these days no?
Michelle Rodriguez? that's her whole thing.

Well maybe for that specific character but they could easily create another action lead for Lawless to fill same role, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2021, 11:51:08 AM

Perhaps though I don't think you ever stupidly post bigoted things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

You're not from Oklahoma.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Barrister

I dislike people being fired because they post stupid things on social media.  Carano is a public figure not some anonymous nobody so the bar for her is somewhat higher, but the most recent post of hers is at least debatable.

But that being said I agree the character Cara Dune was mostly forgettable.  No idea what other plans they had for the character, but won't be missed in Mandalorian.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2021, 12:25:38 PM
I dislike people being fired because they post stupid things on social media.  Carano is a public figure not some anonymous nobody so the bar for her is somewhat higher, but the most recent post of hers is at least debatable.

But that being said I agree the character Cara Dune was mostly forgettable.  No idea what other plans they had for the character, but won't be missed in Mandalorian.

:rolleyes:

Jacob

It's debatable if you're trying to retain white nationalists as a voting block for your party, maybe. Otherwise it's not.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on February 11, 2021, 12:39:20 PM
It's debatable if you're trying to retain white nationalists as a voting block for your party, maybe. Otherwise it's not.

I tried to find the tweet but looks like she deleted it.

But from the story quoted  it says "stating that Jews in World War II were not beaten by German soldiers but "by their neighbors"".  I mean we have a thread going on right now on that very topic where it is, in fact, being debated.  And it doesn't appear to absolve the Germans of their role in it either.

But yes, it was a dumb thing to say.  But I have to be consistent - short of extreme cases I don't like people being fired because they post dumb shit on social media, no matter what their politics.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2021, 12:44:58 PM

But from the story quoted  it says "stating that Jews in World War II were not beaten by German soldiers but "by their neighbors"".  I mean we have a thread going on right now on that very topic where it is, in fact, being debated.  And it doesn't appear to absolve the Germans of their role in it either.

But yes, it was a dumb thing to say.  But I have to be consistent - short of extreme cases I don't like people being fired because they post dumb shit on social media, no matter what their politics.

Fortunately, my sister also shared it on Facebook:

Bill Carroll
January 30, 2019  ·   ·
Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors...even by children.  :(
"Because history is edited, most people today don't realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2021, 12:44:58 PM

Jews in WWII were not just beaten by German soldiers.  They were slaughtered by German soldiers.