And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on February 10, 2021, 05:04:12 PM
So, finished the 6th season of Clone Wars:

- Jar Jar Binks and the Temple of Doom: CW takes a lot of the prequel crap and turns it into gold, but Jar Jar is definitely beyond their powers.

- Yoda's Magical Mystery Tour: I love all the "Force mysticism" episodes (so far, the Force Gods arc is my favorite of the show). This one is another brilliant example. I was surprised to learn that - as I understood it - [spoiler]Force Ghosts aren't apparently a thing in this era. If Yoda, however, learns this technique, when does Kenobi supposedly get the ability to commune with Luke in the OT? And ghost Anakin shows up in ROTJ too[/spoiler].

Just one more season to go!

At the end of Episode 3 Yoda mentioned to Obi-Wan that his old master Qui-Gon has returned (presumably as a force ghost) - Obi-Wan must have learned from him.

Past that... I dunno.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on February 10, 2021, 05:21:21 PM
Now that we are on this topic...[spoiler] I suppose that's the explanation why both Kenobi and Yoda vanish when they die, while other dead Jedi didn't? (but then neither did Qui Gon)[/spoiler]

I think it is just a secret discovered by Qui Gon, passed on to Yoda then to Obi Wan (they all get the necessary training).  No idea how Vader learned it (the explanation falls apart at that point).

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on February 10, 2021, 05:21:21 PM
Now that we are on this topic...[spoiler] I suppose that's the explanation why both Kenobi and Yoda vanish when they die, while other dead Jedi didn't? (but then neither did Qui Gon)[/spoiler]
To maintain itself beyond death, a Jedi needs a kind of anchor, often, but not always, another Force user with whom they were close.  It could also be an object with particular meaning to the deceased too.  And kinda like our ghost mythology, it would usually involve unfinished business.

Grumbler moment: Force ghost work exactly as the writers intend it to work at the moment :P

I noticed that in KOTOR, Sith Force ghosts are a thing and they do not surprise anyone in your party.  In TOR, Force ghosts are a thing but they are of immense surprise to your character.

My guess is, it is not widespread knowledge and it is not a technique taught at Jedi or Sith academies, meaning it must be part of their extra-curricular activities, when they have they take classes from another faculty :P

I guess that, maybe, it is not a technique you really learn as much as it "happens", and then you deal with it.

In KOTOR, the Sith ghosts are hundreds of years old, if not more, in TOR, a few years, and in the old EU, Kenobi's ghost disapear shortly after the battle of Endor, following years of declining appearances.

Anakin and Yoda may not have persisted because their goal was accomplished and there was nothing less for them to do: The Emperor is dead, Darth Vader is no more, Anakin is back.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on February 10, 2021, 10:03:06 PM
Anakin and Yoda may not have persisted because their goal was accomplished and there was nothing less for them to do: The Emperor is dead, Darth Vader is no more, Anakin is back.

Yoda appeared to old man Luke in Last Jedi.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

In other news

QuoteLucasfilm has spoken.

The producers of Disney+'s flagship series, The Mandalorian, have parted ways with original cast member Gina Carano, who plays Rebel shock trooper-turned-New Republic marshal Cara Dune on the Star Wars spinoff.

"Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future," a Lucasfilm representative said in a statement to our sister site Deadline. "Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable."

Formerly a mixed martial artist, Carano has been under fire from many fans for quite a while now, due to problematic things she has said/opinions she has supported all across social media. Carano has alternately been accused of being anti-trans (in part by appearing to mock the use of chosen pronouns), racist, anti-mask/anti-vaxxer, and a supporter of the attempted Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, among other things.

Most recently, an Instagram post of hers was interpreted to be an antisemitic defense of Nazis (stating that Jews in World War II were not beaten by German soldiers but "by their neighbors"). Though some argued her post was by no means absolving Nazis of wrongdoing, the #FireGinaCarano hashtag got trending again, with many asking Lucasfilm and Mandalorian EP Jon Favreau to oust the actress.

Carano was reportedly set to star in her own Mandalorian spinoff, according to The Hollywood Reporter, with Disney ready to announce the news at their big Investor Day presentation in December. But the company scrapped those plans after seeing Carano's earlier posts. "They have been looking for a reason to fire her for two months, and today was the final straw," a source tells THR.

The Mandalorian was due to start production on Season 3 as soon as filming of offshoot The Book of Boba Fett had wrapped.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2021, 10:07:48 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 10, 2021, 10:03:06 PM

Yoda appeared to old man Luke in Last Jedi.
I keep forgetting about that horrible movie.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on February 10, 2021, 11:54:46 PM
In other news

QuoteLucasfilm has spoken.

The producers of Disney+'s flagship series, The Mandalorian, have parted ways with original cast member Gina Carano, who plays Rebel shock trooper-turned-New Republic marshal Cara Dune on the Star Wars spinoff.

"Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future," a Lucasfilm representative said in a statement to our sister site Deadline. "Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable."

Formerly a mixed martial artist, Carano has been under fire from many fans for quite a while now, due to problematic things she has said/opinions she has supported all across social media. Carano has alternately been accused of being anti-trans (in part by appearing to mock the use of chosen pronouns), racist, anti-mask/anti-vaxxer, and a supporter of the attempted Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, among other things.

Most recently, an Instagram post of hers was interpreted to be an antisemitic defense of Nazis (stating that Jews in World War II were not beaten by German soldiers but "by their neighbors"). Though some argued her post was by no means absolving Nazis of wrongdoing, the #FireGinaCarano hashtag got trending again, with many asking Lucasfilm and Mandalorian EP Jon Favreau to oust the actress.

Carano was reportedly set to star in her own Mandalorian spinoff, according to The Hollywood Reporter, with Disney ready to announce the news at their big Investor Day presentation in December. But the company scrapped those plans after seeing Carano's earlier posts. "They have been looking for a reason to fire her for two months, and today was the final straw," a source tells THR.

The Mandalorian was due to start production on Season 3 as soon as filming of offshoot The Book of Boba Fett had wrapped.

I will never understand why these people continue to post on social media.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

On the flip side, it's great to have a way to identify the bigots.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Most surprising thing of all is that she was given ample warning, yet she kept posting. Some people can't help themselves I guess.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2021, 06:10:20 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 10, 2021, 05:04:12 PM
So, finished the 6th season of Clone Wars:

- Jar Jar Binks and the Temple of Doom: CW takes a lot of the prequel crap and turns it into gold, but Jar Jar is definitely beyond their powers.

- Yoda's Magical Mystery Tour: I love all the "Force mysticism" episodes (so far, the Force Gods arc is my favorite of the show). This one is another brilliant example. I was surprised to learn that - as I understood it - [spoiler]Force Ghosts aren't apparently a thing in this era. If Yoda, however, learns this technique, when does Kenobi supposedly get the ability to commune with Luke in the OT? And ghost Anakin shows up in ROTJ too[/spoiler].

Just one more season to go!

At the end of Episode 3 Yoda mentioned to Obi-Wan that his old master Qui-Gon has returned (presumably as a force ghost) - Obi-Wan must have learned from him.

Past that... I dunno.

I had forgotten about that bit in ROTS. Every time I try to rewatch it I never make it to the end  :P

I suppose the upcoming Obi Wan series might give more clarity, IIRC it's supposedly set in the aftermath of ROTS?

The Larch

With Gina Carano out of the SW universe, I've heard doubts aboutt he future of the "Marshalls of the New Republic" spin-off show in which she was meant to star.  A wild theory going on involves recasting her character and giving it to Lucy Lawless.  :lol:

Josquius

I'd dig it. Though probably a bit old these days no?
Michelle Rodriguez? that's her whole thing.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Her character wasn't that memorable, imho. I mean, she was likeable and fun, but I won't really feel a hole in my soul if we never see Cara Dune again.  :sleep:

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 11, 2021, 09:36:08 AM
Her character wasn't that memorable, imho. I mean, she was likeable and fun, but I won't really feel a hole in my soul if we never see Cara Dune again.  :sleep:

Yeah same here, no big loss.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

She was the worst actor on the show barring perhaps Bill Burr. No loss.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien