News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 13, 2021, 06:14:14 AM
Still, if they went with a "look, I found this fleet of gazillion ships and I'm gonna use it blast the good guys" storyline, it would feel like a rethread.

Not that Star Wars is alien to rethreads, of all franchises, but the TV shows have managed to be rather fresh.

What's amusing about that statement is how many retreads / homages are stuffed into the TV shows. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2021, 10:50:37 AM
Still, if they went with a "look, I found this fleet of gazillion ships and I'm gonna use it blast the good guys" storyline, it would feel like a rethread.

Not that Star Wars is alien to rethreads, of all franchises, but the TV shows have managed to be rather fresh.

What's amusing about that statement is how many retreads / homages are stuffed into the TV shows. :)

They are very fanservice-ish, but the plot itself isn't. If anything they retread other films rather than Star Wars  :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 13, 2021, 12:48:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2021, 10:50:37 AM

They are very fanservice-ish, but the plot itself isn't. If anything they retread other films rather than Star Wars  :lol:

But that's exactly what I mean! :contract:

The Mandalorian is just a space western.  They've ripped whole storylines from different western and/o samurai movies.

The TV shows avoid retreating the existing Star Wars movies themselves, but are otherwise far from original.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Ok, I misunderstood you.  :lol:

Anyway, I've kept on trucking with Clone Wars. Next up: the Onderon arc. Onderon was one of my favorite settings in the Tales of the Jedi comics - I marked out when it showed up in Kotor. The arc in itself is well done, although for all their efforts in this show, Rebels, and Rogue One, I have never ever cared for Saw Gerrera as a character.

And then the episode after that arc... Ilum! :w00t:

FunkMonk

I don't understand what people are talking about. There was no Star Wars Episode 9. It was never made. Canceled mid-production.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 15, 2021, 09:27:57 AM
I don't understand what people are talking about. There was no Star Wars Episode 9. It was never made. Canceled mid-production.

What I found even weirder was that they tried to produce Episode 9 without even doing an Episodes 7-8. I guess they were trying to follow Lucas's lead of starting at Ep. 4?

Disney is weird.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

This is not wrong:

I'm about 34% into the High Republic book. I like it so far, but the first 30% is basically one big action scene (not complaining).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

So, I delivered a bunch of work yesterday and today took the day off, so watched more Clone Wars.

The spy droid squad arc was really fun. Also, finally got to see [spoiler]Gregor, although he looks saner here[/spoiler]. Always nice to see characters in CW that pop up again in Rebels.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 19, 2021, 09:57:47 AMThe spy droid squad arc was really fun.

I liked it, but I recall it was a tad divisive at the time.

How did you like the thinly veiled commentary when 3PO and R2 brought "democracy" to some liliputans? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 19, 2021, 10:07:39 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 19, 2021, 09:57:47 AMThe spy droid squad arc was really fun.

How did you like the thinly veiled commentary when 3PO and R2 brought "democracy" to some liliputans? :P

Heh, that episode was pretty good too. Big fan of absurdism.

And given how much time the prequels and CW spend giving the impression that the Republic kinda sucks, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about that either.  :P

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 19, 2021, 10:18:26 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 19, 2021, 10:07:39 AM

Heh, that episode was pretty good too. Big fan of absurdism.

And given how much time the prequels and CW spend giving the impression that the Republic kinda sucks, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about that either.  :P

I thought blasting them away with their engine as they leave was a great touch. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on January 19, 2021, 09:57:47 AM
So, I delivered a bunch of work yesterday and today took the day off, so watched more Clone Wars.

The spy droid squad arc was really fun. Also, finally got to see [spoiler]Gregor, although he looks saner here[/spoiler]. Always nice to see characters in CW that pop up again in Rebels.

I recently finished the spy droid arc as well, and really liked it. 

I really enjoyed the Ahsoka arc.  [spoiler]But the terrorist had a point - the Republic is everything she said it is[/spoiler]

celedhring

Started with the Mandalore arc in s5 this weekend. Still haven't finished it, but the first thing I noticed is that Clone Wars Bo-Katan feels more like Mandalorian Bo-Katan than Rebels Bo-Katan did. Here she's more of a gray character, driven and with a nasty streak ([spoiler]she's Death Watch afterall[/spoiler]), while in Rebels she was a complete goody two shoes. I always assumed that the fall of Mandalore made her nastier and bitter, but it seems the writing was just a bit inconsistent (I certainly prefer the CW-Mandalorian version of the character).

Oexmelin

I just realized that Gar Saxon and Fenn Rau are Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus.
Que le grand cric me croque !