And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2021, 12:06:37 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 08, 2021, 12:00:26 PM
Yeah, so far Clone Wars to me is like a better version of the prequels. And it's very much a children's show, in the sense that the narrative structures are pretty simple when you get down to it... which makes it kinda sad that they are far more successful than the movies were  :lol:

How far in are you?

And yes, Anakin actually becomes an interesting character. :P

Finishing the 3rd season. I'm on holiday until Monday, and since we're back in lockdown I'm binging as much of it as I can  :P

Syt

The first part of season 4 is IMHO weaker than what follows after (the excellent Umbara arc) and you have "the bad stuff" almost entirely behind you.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

So, season 3 finishes with a Most Dangerous Game arc. I love that trope  :lol:

Very good arc, even, despite the [spoiler]Chewie fanservice (dude can't help getting captured, can he?)[/spoiler]

celedhring

Starting season 4 and indeed, Jaws 3D isn't the kind of movie this show (or any show) should be homaging.  :lol:

The underwater setting doesn't quite work.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2021, 09:24:26 AM
Yeah, it wasn't great.

And they follow it up with a Jar Jar-centric episode. That's a rough patch  :lol:

I really want to see more of Mandalore and Maul (I assume both arcs eventually merge given he had the Darksaber in Rebels), when does that happen?

Syt

After Nomad Droids it picks up again. Though that episode is a silly little jaunt.

I think Maul's coming back end of season 4 and much of his involvement is in season 5, IIRC.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2021, 10:21:02 AM
After Nomad Droids it picks up again. Though that episode is a silly little jaunt.

I think Maul's coming back end of season 4 and much of his involvement is in season 5, IIRC.

I'm intrigued by him. I mean, he's a disposable brute in Phantom Menace, and then in Rebels he shows up and he's an actually interesting villain, deranged yet articulate. 

It made me kinda wish the Solo sequel actually happened. Although I suppose they can pick up that thread in one of the million new Star Wars shows.

Syt

Is any of them set in the time between Episodes 3 and 4? Well, Kenobi and Andor, I suppose. Lando, possibly.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2021, 12:00:30 PM
Is any of them set in the time between Episodes 3 and 4? Well, Kenobi and Andor, I suppose. Lando, possibly.

The Bad Batch, too.

I suppose Lando would make the most sense.

Syt

Well Kenobi, too, though that might not chime well with their final encounter in Rebels (which was beautiful, btw).

Sam Witwer breaks it down quite well in this video: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2572527209680386
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

It was actually George Lucas who wanted to bring back Maul. When the writers asked him how he thought that would be possible, considering HE GETS CUT IN HALF in Episode I, he just said, "You'll figure it out." :lol:

I admit after the bumpy start of Season 4, when they brought back Maul I thought, "Ok, show has jumped the shark, time to move on." I'm happy to have been wrong.

Also, someone commented that when the Clone Wars movie launched and it became clear there would be a series, no one would have guessed that the final arc [spoiler]would have people on the edge of their seats over the events around Ahsoka and Maul[/spoiler]. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Well, the 'Nam Umbara arc is indeed excellent. Love those "war is hell" episodes. My only "but" is [spoiler]that making Krell a traitor seems a bit of a copout[/spoiler].

Again, I'm astonished by how excellent the action in this show is. And it was produced 10 years ago, even. Rebels isn't nearly as good in that department, but they obviously had a smaller budget.

Sophie Scholl

Has anyone checked out any of the new High Republic books/comics/stories/efforts? I'm intrigued by the concept, but haven't seen many reviews yet.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2021, 12:15:31 PM
It was actually George Lucas who wanted to bring back Maul. When the writers asked him how he thought that would be possible, considering HE GETS CUT IN HALF in Episode I, he just said, "You'll figure it out." :lol:

Not their brightest idea tbf, [spoiler]spiderlegs are super-cheesy. Fortunately they don't last much on him.[/spoiler]

But I look forward seeing him in season 5+. Similarly, Ventress is also much more fun [spoiler]when she's no longer a random Sith apprentice with a cool character design,[/spoiler]