News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on December 18, 2020, 09:49:42 PM
Sigh, very dissapointed that fucking Luke showed up.

First of all, it makes no sense. They are talking about Baby Yoda being super important, and he ends up with THE primary character in a story arc that has been done to death, yet we've never heard of him before? How does that make any sense?

But more importantly, once again, the writers lack imagination. A universe of 10,000 planets with trillions of sentient beings, and it has to be fucking Luke who strolls in. At least they weren't on Tattooine. The SW universe is apparently about the size of a high school campus.

Just got through it...
I get your beef but it was telegraphed from parsecs away.  The kid makes contact with a powerful Jedi who is not AT.  There aren't many candidates in the SW universe for that position at that time. If you have a problem with Skywalker ex machina, then nonology era Star Wars may not be your thing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2021, 05:41:07 PM
Heh, just noticed that the bounty hunter ship that shows up in an early CW episode where the Jedi team up with a group of with bounty hunters to help some villagers, is the same model as the Razor Crest.

Ah, the Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven episode. Also, an early appearance by Hondo Ohnaka.

And yeah, the gunship has a very similar design to the Razor Crest:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Ah, that's a much clearer shot of the ship than what you get in the episode. It's not *that* similar then (but certainly the Crest was inspired by it).

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 05, 2021, 02:39:05 AM
Ah, that's a much clearer shot of the ship than what you get in the episode. It's not *that* similar then (but certainly the Crest was inspired by it).

Or they had a common point of inspiration.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

The first High Republic book is out. Star Wars Explained seems to like it a lot, so I look forward to get into it. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on January 05, 2021, 12:16:03 PM
The first High Republic book is out. Star Wars Explained seems to like it a lot, so I look forward to get into it. :)
I'm still midway through the X-Wing series, I love it! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on January 05, 2021, 12:16:03 PM

Does it explain why the galaxy banned cannabis and brought this glorious period to its end?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 04, 2021, 10:49:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 18, 2020, 09:49:42 PM
Sigh, very dissapointed that fucking Luke showed up.

First of all, it makes no sense. They are talking about Baby Yoda being super important, and he ends up with THE primary character in a story arc that has been done to death, yet we've never heard of him before? How does that make any sense?

But more importantly, once again, the writers lack imagination. A universe of 10,000 planets with trillions of sentient beings, and it has to be fucking Luke who strolls in. At least they weren't on Tattooine. The SW universe is apparently about the size of a high school campus.

Just got through it...
I get your beef but it was telegraphed from parsecs away.  The kid makes contact with a powerful Jedi who is not AT.  There aren't many candidates in the SW universe for that position at that time. If you have a problem with Skywalker ex machina, then nonology era Star Wars may not be your thing.

Who is AT?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Syt

Lovely 1 hour video of Alex (Star Wars Explained) and Paul Sun-Hyung Lee nerding out about Star Wars:

https://youtu.be/pX_vHoz_dMk

Well, mostly it's Paul nerding out, he does like 90% of the talking. It's so great how exited and enthusiastic he is. :wub:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

WTF. Just saw ROTJ. They changed the Ewok celebration song.  :mad:

Syt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 06, 2021, 02:19:03 PM
WTF. Just saw ROTJ. They changed the Ewok celebration song.  :mad:

Again?
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

So, the godzilla episodes. Not Clone Wars' finest hour.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 06, 2021, 03:43:07 PM
So, the godzilla episodes. Not Clone Wars' finest hour.

Yeah, they were quite bad. Have you seen the Shadow Virus episodes yet? It was cheesy, but I liked Michael York as OTT totally not German mad scientist.
—Stephen Jay Gould