News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Just jettisoning prior canon seems to be about the opposite of Filoni's MO.  Instead he's going out of his way to try and rehabilitate certain elements fans didn't like, like midichlorines.

Look, I thought Rise of Skywalker was a deeply disappointing movie and I understand the sentiment of "going back" to the "classic era", but I do hope they go back at some point.  I'd be up for the further adventures of Poe, Finn and or Rey (Skywalker) - though maybe not all together.  What happens to the Republic and the First/Final Order, what happens to those force sensitive without a Jedi order, that sort of thing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

I could not fucking care less what happens to any of them.

Its a big universe. There has to be something about ten thousand times more interesting going on than the doings of characters whose entire narrative existence was based on the idea that they should be just re-telling of an old story that was tired BEFORE it was TOLD AGAIN.

A thousand fucking times, NO. IF YOU MAKE ANOTHER GOD DAMN MOVIE ABOUT TATTOOINE OR DEATH STARS I WILL BE VERY PUT OUT!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2021, 03:45:09 PM
I could not fucking care less what happens to any of them.

Its a big universe. There has to be something about ten thousand times more interesting going on than the doings of characters whose entire narrative existence was based on the idea that they should be just re-telling of an old story that was tired BEFORE it was TOLD AGAIN.

A thousand fucking times, NO. IF YOU MAKE ANOTHER GOD DAMN MOVIE ABOUT TATTOOINE OR DEATH STARS I WILL BE VERY PUT OUT!

You do know that the Book of Boba Fett is probably going to feature Tattoine prominently... :P

On the one hand I agree - let's not just remake the trilogy yet again.

But on the other hand it's hard to base a brand new movie based on brand-new characters with no tie-in to existing lore.  So why not a movie about Poe Dameron's X-wing squadron, or Finn's efforts to free slave Stormtroopers, or Rey going on a grand adventure to discover Jedi artifacts, or literally just about any new unrelated story involving established characters?  Hell let's see a movie based on Babu Frik's droid repair shop? Or a Maz Kanata and Chewie Rom-Com?

Berkut

I would love to see a re-telling of the core story with different or new characters, if it was done as an intended replacement for the disasters that were Episodes 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, and 9.

Otherwise, just go find something else to tell us about.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2021, 03:53:25 PM
But on the other hand it's hard to base a brand new movie based on brand-new characters with no tie-in to existing lore.  So why not a movie about Poe Dameron's X-wing squadron, or Finn's efforts to free slave Stormtroopers, or Rey going on a grand adventure to discover Jedi artifacts, or literally just about any new unrelated story involving established characters?  Hell let's see a movie based on Babu Frik's droid repair shop? Or a Maz Kanata and Chewie Rom-Com?

Rogue One is a good example of not needing existing characters.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 04, 2021, 03:57:15 PM

Rogue One tied in extremely closely to the existing lore.  It literally ends just where ANH begins.

And The Mandallorian is based on a "new" character, but one who very closely resembles an existing one (and they introduce another character who closely resembles another existing character in Episode 1).

Grey Fox

We could have movies 100 years into the future with force users learning to rebuild the Jedi order led by Grogu.*

*@Disney Pay me for that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

How about seeing parts of Tattooine that don't look like Mos Eisley? I mean, it has an atmosphere, shouldn't it have some various climate regions?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 04, 2021, 03:57:15 PM

Darth Vader and Grand Moff Tarkin ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 04, 2021, 04:01:45 PM
How about seeing parts of Tattooine that don't look like Mos Eisley? I mean, it has an atmosphere, shouldn't it have some various climate regions?
It's all desert.  According to non canon KOTOR (Valmy, that's your cue! :P ), it used to be lushed plains, then the Rataka came in and vitrified the planet, then it's all deserts.

Come to think of it, it's always mono climate on all planetts :P

Hoth is all ice, Tatooine is all sand, Alderaan was all plains and hills, Coruscant is a big city, etc, etc.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

I've watched none of this because, so far, Disney + is where I draw the line.

BUT. Thomas Kinkade has licensed Mandalorian art:

https://thomaskinkade.com/art-genre/the-mandalorian/

Edit: God I love kitsch :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Wait, isn't he dead?  :huh:

Are they really selling imitations of his style at that kind of markup?

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2021, 04:22:05 PM
Wait, isn't he dead?  :huh:

By the sounds of it he's basically a Renaissance artist - so this is technically by the studio of Thomas Kinkade :lol:
QuoteA Legacy of Light

Thomas Kinkade, the famed "Painter of Light," loved to share his passion for art and his creative process with other artists throughout his career. Thom believed in supporting artist development and exchanged ideas with artists. Through this collaborative environment, Thom passed down his methods and imparted the techniques, concepts and vision for his signature Kinkadian style.

Today, the artists of the Thomas Kinkade Studios apply many of the same techniques created and used by Thom during his lifetime; from sketching to digital and oil brushwork, to image recapture and his use of light. Over time, these mastered skills have evolved into a Kinkadian style of art adored by art collectors around the world.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2021, 04:22:05 PM
It's art.  We, commoners, are unable to truly appreciate the value of such... masterpieces.   :zipped:

celedhring

Heh, just noticed that the bounty hunter ship that shows up in an early CW episode where the Jedi team up with a group of with bounty hunters to help some villagers, is the same model as the Razor Crest.