News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Christ, that "fan film" probably has more budget than most of the stuff I work in  :lol:

Cute idea. They should've gone all in and made it an Indy/Star Wars crossover.

garbon

A rather odd Guardian article about where this writer thinks Star Wars should go next after the Mandolorian season 2 ending. I like the comments section. :D

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/dec/24/luke-skywalker-the-mandalorian-new-mark-hamill-led-star-wars-movies
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

More of the same in series 2. Light on plot but high on flash. Fun.
.... But....
This means kylo ren kills baby yoda? :o :(
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on December 26, 2020, 04:11:24 PM

This means kylo ren kills baby yoda? :o :(
20 years from now, he might have moved elsewhere ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Nearly finished with Rebels. Lots of love for how much of the old EU backstory they kept for Thrawn. Having an entire multi-season story arc revolving around the [spoiler]TIE Defender[/spoiler] truly pleased my teenager me.

I'm going to summon Syt for something though. Is there an in-universe reason as for why X-Wings never show up until the last season? They [spoiler]devoted an entire episode to the origin story of the B-Wing[/spoiler], but X-Wings are not addressed and being such an iconic craft, it's kinda strange (because they are never shown until the last season, implying the Rebellion didn't have them yet).

celedhring

Oh, and regarding the darksaber inconsistencies with Mandalorian.

[spoiler]The whole "you have to take it via combat" thing is indeed present in rebels, just for some weird reason is never alluded to when Bo-Katan receives it from Sabine.[/spoiler]

Oexmelin

I think the rationale re: crafts is that every rebel cell had access to different material. Hence the cell in Rebels had access to the A-Wing and Dodonna's cell to the Y-Wing. X-Wings have not been covered, I am willing to bet deliberately.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

What Oex said. Considering how iconic the X-Wing is and that the show runs basically up to the events of Rogue One, it seems deliberate, but I have no info.

Wookieepedia is also very sparse:

QuoteThe X-wing was descended from Incom Corporation's Clone Wars–era starfighters, namely the Aggressive ReConnaissance-170 starfighter, Clone Z-95 Headhunter, and Z-95 Headhunter. Incom's engineers strove to build a well-rounded, hyperdrive-equipped snubfighter with no exploitable weakness. The new starfighter was intended to become the backbone of the Imperial Navy, but political forces led to the Galactic Empire deciding to rely on Sienar Fleet Systems' more affordable TIE line. The Alliance to Restore the Republic then adopted the X-wing design as its own.

In old EU, the ships were secured in a raid [spoiler]similar to what we see with the B-Wings in Rebels[/spoiler].
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

In TIE Fighter, Z-95s were flying garbage cans with no armor or shielding. They exploded quite easily  :bowler:

I hated trying to shoot down Y-Wings and B-Wings though. Fuckers could take a ton of hits.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2020, 09:42:49 AM
What Oex said. Considering how iconic the X-Wing is and that the show runs basically up to the events of Rogue One, it seems deliberate, but I have no info.

Wookieepedia is also very sparse:

QuoteThe X-wing was descended from Incom Corporation's Clone Wars–era starfighters, namely the Aggressive ReConnaissance-170 starfighter, Clone Z-95 Headhunter, and Z-95 Headhunter. Incom's engineers strove to build a well-rounded, hyperdrive-equipped snubfighter with no exploitable weakness. The new starfighter was intended to become the backbone of the Imperial Navy, but political forces led to the Galactic Empire deciding to rely on Sienar Fleet Systems' more affordable TIE line. The Alliance to Restore the Republic then adopted the X-wing design as its own.

In old EU, the ships were secured in a raid [spoiler]similar to what we see with the B-Wings in Rebels[/spoiler].

The Shantipole episode in Rebels is a very obvious homage to the old EU RPG module that dealt with the same incident. I love that Filoni is such an obvious geek, and loved the same geek things I did.  :lol:

[spoiler]Instead of a planet where it's very difficult to land, Shantipole was a research station in the middle of an asteroid field. There was also a Mon Cal in charge (although it was Ackbar in the module). Like in the episode, you ended up taking the prototypes to break an Imperial blockade.[/spoiler]

Josquius

I've heard it said often clone wars is worth a watch.
I recall watching some of it many years ago and found it Meh... But turns out there's 2 series. I saw the cartoon. There's also the Pixar styled one which is the good one.
But apparently it was all shown completely out of order and there's a proper order to watch it in.
This is all needlessly complex.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

There's a animated movie & there is 7 season worth of ~20minutes episodes.

Yes, you are right, it is needlessly complex. But that was GL for you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on December 29, 2020, 04:32:57 PM
I've heard it said often clone wars is worth a watch.
I recall watching some of it many years ago and found it Meh... But turns out there's 2 series. I saw the cartoon. There's also the Pixar styled one which is the good one.
But apparently it was all shown completely out of order and there's a proper order to watch it in.
This is all needlessly complex.

Only the first two seasons were out of order, IIRC (and maybe a stray episode or so in season 3); after that it's all in order. Personally, I find no issue with just watching them in broadcast order. The movie is quite "eh" and mostly serves as contrast to how much better the series got. It's not much of a movie and more a few episodes stitched together.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

On the topic of "people age weirdly in the Star Wars universe" :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Another mark in favor of not turning Anakin into Vader until the kids were a little older. And not making Luke and Leia twins so that the line about Leia's young memories of her mother didn't turn out to be retconned into something impossible.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien