News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2020, 12:27:43 PM
Robert Rodríguez as Exec Producer (I assume Filoni and Favreau will not be too involved) is big MEH for me.

Why is that?

I, for one, didn't feel like The Tragedy was as great an episode as so many seem to because of the awful military handling (which can also be seen in the episode in the first season with the space orcs having their AT-ST be terribly mismanaged). But aside from that, the episode didn't have any huge weaknesses and was still fun.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

I thought executive producer was a courtesy title?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on December 21, 2020, 01:39:53 PM
Robert Rodríguez as Exec Producer (I assume Filoni and Favreau will not be too involved) is big MEH for me.

Why is that?

I, for one, didn't feel like The Tragedy was as great an episode as so many seem to because of the awful military handling (which can also be seen in the episode in the first season with the space orcs having their AT-ST be terribly mismanaged). But aside from that, the episode didn't have any huge weaknesses and was still fun.

He was just the director in that. Exec Producer means creative control, and I don't care much for Robert Rodríguez' brand of storytelling.

I'm down for the inevitable Danny Trejo cameo though.

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 21, 2020, 01:47:05 PM
I thought executive producer was a courtesy title?

Not in TV. I mean, there it can still be a courtesy title but it's usually the title given to the showrunner.

Solmyr

El Mariachi/Machete/Star Wars crossover?

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2020, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 21, 2020, 01:39:53 PM

Why is that?

He was just the director in that. Exec Producer means creative control, and I don't care much for Robert Rodríguez' brand of storytelling.

I'm down for the inevitable Danny Trejo cameo though.

Sure, I'm aware of that RE: exec/director split. Was curious as to why you didn't like his storytelling.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Well, he's one of those 1990s Tarantino imitators that shared the surface of the master's style, but none of his nuance. Sure, I can turn off my brain and enjoy a little of Machete or whatever (just a little) but a whole Star Wars show a la manièré de El Mariachi? Not really. And if he tries to suppress or change his style, I don't think it will work. By all accounts he's a decent director when he's not shooting films on a shoestring.

Now Tarantino Star Wars, this I would like to see (wasn't he attached to Star Trek at some point?)

But meh, The Mandalorian has filled up my goodwill tank after the last years of Star Wars, so I'll watch with a fully open mind.

Syt

I made the mistake and clicked on a Twitter "discussion" of "OMG Boba got his ass kicked by A GIRL! SJWs ruin MAH BOI!" :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I finally got to the Rebels episode where they find out about [spoiler]Thrawn developing the TIE Defender[/spoiler]

And I'm totally and fully geeked out  :w00t:

FunkMonk

The world needs a Tarantino Star Wars project now more than ever.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2020, 04:24:16 PM
I finally got to the Rebels episode where they find out about [spoiler]Thrawn developing the TIE Defender[/spoiler]

Yes, that was an awesome :nerd: moment. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2020, 02:12:55 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2020, 04:24:16 PM

Yes, that was an awesome :nerd: moment. :D

Admiral Zaarin was fulcrum  :o

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2020, 02:45:37 PM
Well, he's one of those 1990s Tarantino imitators that shared the surface of the master's style, but none of his nuance. Sure, I can turn off my brain and enjoy a little of Machete or whatever (just a little) but a whole Star Wars show a la manièré de El Mariachi? Not really. And if he tries to suppress or change his style, I don't think it will work. By all accounts he's a decent director when he's not shooting films on a shoestring.

Now Tarantino Star Wars, this I would like to see (wasn't he attached to Star Trek at some point?)

But meh, The Mandalorian has filled up my goodwill tank after the last years of Star Wars, so I'll watch with a fully open mind.

Interesting mix-up between manière and maniéré. The latter meaning affected (style).  :P
This does not bode well for the show I guess.

Syt

Fun little fact. The scrapyard in Chapter 15 was a tabletop model. And the walker was not CGI but was brought to live via stop motion thanks to Phil Tippett's team:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2020/12/star-wars-effects-veteran-phil-tippett-reveals-his-studio-provided-stop-motion-animation-on-the-mandalorian.html

—Stephen Jay Gould

Zoupa

I enjoyed this fan-made short movie, hope you guys will too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVSox0qApO4