News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2020, 02:15:43 PM
the part that confused me most is mando sending a telegram warning that he's coming. surely surprise would be an asset.

Well, he doesn't say that he's not coming alone or who he's bringing with. I don't think that Gideon would expect two Mandalorians show up (let alone Boba Fett), or possibly more if Bo-Katan joins in (plus Fennec, and likely Cara). Besides, I would expect Gideon to expect that Din would try hunt him down and be prepared.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Habbaku on December 12, 2020, 10:57:38 AM
:yes:

He was perfectly-cast in the SNL Sam Adams bit: https://youtu.be/je1NIf8GeeY

Just playing himself is easy work.
Common enough in New England.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

I got a real Sam Adams ad before the skit.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2020, 07:24:56 PM
Nice touch giving the despicable bad guy something other than an Oxbridge accent.  The American accent worked well.
they may have wanted to emphasize the difference between land troops and naval officers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

FunkMonk

These Imperials are distracting me. I need my Imperial officers to have upper class english accents. It's just not the same without it.  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

RIP Jeremy Bulloch, the original man in the Fett suit.

He also played an Imperial officer in Empire Strikes Back:

And he had a cameo in Revenge of the Sith, as the pilot of the corvette that takes the heroes back to Coruscant:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Look forward to fanboi Syt thoughts on s2 finale.

Make sure to watch past credits.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on December 17, 2020, 04:46:00 PM
RIP Jeremy Bulloch, the original man in the Fett suit.

:(

Star Wars subreddit had a photo of all three Bobas just a couple of days ago:

Syt

Quote from: katmai on December 18, 2020, 03:58:12 AM
Look forward to fanboi Syt thoughts on s2 finale.

Actually a bit disappointed.

It was quite awesome, up till Din brings Gideon to the bridge and Bo-Katan refuses to just take the saber from him. In Rebels she accepted it without combat from Sabine (who, admittedly, just picked it up in a cave so technically didn't win it in combat, either), so I would have expected a comment about that ("I accepted it once without combat and it nearly destroyed Mandalore", or something).

There was a lot of speculation about who Grogu would reach out to, and I have to admit Luke was my least favorite choice. They kinda pulled off the face, but it's still sitting on the edge of uncanny valley for me.

And Grogu leaving ... so Din's arc is over now? Uhm ... so Grogu will be killed when Kylo Ren massacres the academy? What was Gideon working on? Who was he working for? Does Bo-Katan live? (probably) Plenty unanswered questions that might get addressed in the other announced shows (Rangers, Ahsoka), but I feel we go out on a ho-hum note.

Liked the post credit scene; strong Conan vibe.

Book of Boba Fett - will that be a separate series, or season 3 of the Mandalorian? I mean we can continue with Din and him working with Bo-Katan maybe to free Mandalore, but without the Grogu relationship I feel we might lose an important emotional core. Or do we pick up 10 years later with Din rescuing him from the massacre? I feel rather unsatisfied with the end of the season as you can tell. But they could also tell stories about different Mandalorians, I suppose.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I liked Luke kicking arse because I feel the new Star Wars movies owed us that. But the whole "hey, does this mean Grogu dies in a few years" kinda gave conflicting singals  :lol:

Also, when the second season began I said I believed they would close the "return BY to his own" arc this season so I'll claim a cookie for myself.  :)

And I like when shows close stories instead of strecthing things way too long. Now they have to come up with something else, and maybe it won't be as good. But unlike Syt I like that they went with this ending.

Syt

Confession: I was never much into Luke. I always found him a tad bland, so while I liked his scenes, I wasn't super hyped to see him. Actually, I liked him better in the sequel trilogy than in the originals, because he was a lot more interesting IMHO. YMMV a lot. :P

One reason why this felt so unsatisfying was that Din and Grogu were reunited for a hot five seconds before Grogu is being whisked away by Luke.

It's a good thing Boba Fett stayed on the Slave I, it would have been awkward if he had met Luke on the cruiser's bridge.

"... hi?"
"Hi. ... ... So ... what have you been up to?"

I suppose we will now focus on the topic of Mandalorian succession. I mean, Din is technically qualified to be the Mandalore now what with him having the edgelord saber. :P I worry that we might see some game of thrown style shenanigans between Din, the Children of the Watch with the Armorer, Bo-Katan, etc.

I do expect Grogu to come back somehow, for some reason. Din promised that they would see each other again, and he's a man of his word. :P Maybe Grogu gets some training, but senses Din being in danger or something? I trust Filoni and Favreau enough to get to a satisfying solution, but I feel after I watched the finale my main reaction is: er, ok, now what?

On the post credit scene: it's shockingly easy to take over Jabba's Bib Fortuna's palace, it seems. And I winced when they stood on the trap door in front of the throne.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

One of the nice touches of this episode was how the first time they met, Bo-Katan and crew sorta mocked Mando for being a traditionalist zealot, but now he shows himself to be more open-minded than them re: Boba's heritage and darksaber rulebook.

Also, how did the shuttle pilot survive the Death Star explosion in ANH? He looked a wee on the younger side too, so maybe he was on a school visit and left before the Rebel attack.  :P

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 18, 2020, 08:43:01 AM
Also, how did the shuttle pilot survive the Death Star explosion in ANH? He looked a wee on the younger side too, so maybe he was on a school visit and left before the Rebel attack.  :P

In Lost Stars, one of the main characters is stationed aboard the Death Star. After the Alderaan attack he was part of a squadron that was sent to investigate Dantooine. So I would assume he survived that way. Or there were other stranded TIEs like Vader's.

Lost Stars is a cool novel if you don't mind the romance plot. Two kids growing up on a backwater world are fascinated with becoming pilots and join the Imperial Navy. The guy ends up joining the Rebellion after Alderaan, while she stays on and won't betray her oath. We see their point of view of the main beats of the original trilogy and all the way to the Battle of Jakku.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2020, 04:48:45 AM
There was a lot of speculation about who Grogu would reach out to, and I have to admit Luke was my least favorite choice. They kinda pulled off the face, but it's still sitting on the edge of uncanny valley for me.

I dunno, the face looked totally plastered on to me. There was obvious blur around it.

I agree that Luke in TLJ was way more interesting. Maybe Grogu taught him how to have fun?

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2020, 08:52:43 AM
In Lost Stars, one of the main characters is stationed aboard the Death Star. After the Alderaan attack he was part of a squadron that was sent to investigate Dantooine. So I would assume he survived that way. Or there were other stranded TIEs like Vader's.

Plausible. He didn't display a strong survival instinct given the way he taunted Cara.  :P

The show is supposed to happen some 20 years before all went tits up with Luke's Jedi academy, no? So there's still plenty of time to get Grogu involved, although since he's still essentially a baby after 50 years, he won't be developing much...